Home Main Category Personal Defense

Illinois finally gets concealed carry

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Today the Illinois house and senate overrode the governor's last-minute changes to the CCW bill and finally Illinois gets concealed carry, at least in some form.

Here's the Fox news link:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/09/illinois-becomes-last-state-in-nation-to-allow-concealed-carry/

I've got no specifics on the content of the new law and how it compares with other state CCW laws. Anyone know the details?

Replies

• agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    The article states "The law as approved by the Legislature permits anyone with a Firearm Owner's Identification card who has passed a background check and undergone gun-safety training of 16 hours -- longest of any state -- to obtain a concealed-carry permit for $150."

It also said that the state has six months to set up the application process, and that there will be an expected 300,000 applications the first year.

Now, here's the rub. Ill bet that the first license doesn't get granted for at least a year or longer. They'll site an immediate backlog, problems with the application process, or that the paper they used in the applications were defective and have disintegrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    agewon wrote: »
    They'll site an immediate backlog, problems with the application process, or that the paper they used in the applications were defective and have disintegrated.

Especially in Cook County.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Implementation of the new law will be fraught with deliberate delays, intended confusion and planned incompetence. This will be in court a hundred times in the next year.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Needless to say, Illinois will refuse reciprocity with every other state. They'll base that on no other state having 16 hours of training and instruction. Illinois Democrats are already panicked enough over their law-abiding citizens carrying guns, heaven forbid law-abiding citizens from other states wandering around Illinois doing the same thing.

Maybe this is the time to go to Illinois, get certified as a trainer, set up a CCW training school, and cash in on the windfall. I've always deeply resented the rip-off artists in my state running Traffic Survival schools and CCW training classes. They make a bundle doing almost nothing for it. The real estate schools are not quite so bad, but almost.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Just saw on the news that "applications will be processed by the Illinois State Police and will be available on their website sometime within the
    next six months". Also that if we already have a permit for another state that it does not matter.

So, I'll be watching the ISP website for an application. 16 hours of training seems excessive compared to other states, but the bill does provide
    that Veterans, such as myself, will get 8 hours credit for our military firearms training. How that applies to concealed carry is another matter.
    I'm not complaining. I need to find a "certified class" to get 8 hours of instruction/training. The state has yet to set the parameters for what
    "certified instruction" amounts to. (at least that I'm aware of)

eta.... And yes horselips, the state does not recognize CCW's from any other state!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    agewon wrote: »
    It also said ...expected 300,000 applications the first year.
    Now, here's the rub. Ill bet that the first license doesn't get granted for at least a year or longer. They'll site an immediate backlog, problems with the application process, or that the paper they used in the applications were defective and have disintegrated.
    But you can be sure they'll collect those fees up front!

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
    shooter, good luck on the permit thing, finally.

Even in a gun-friendly state like Texas, the CHL setup was confused, just because it was new and without any deliberate delays. I was in an early CHL class, best as I can figure out, the 2nd class in Houston, and the instructor barely had an idea of what to teach or provide. It was hit-or-miss for about a year.

Sent from my trusty HP Pavilion laptop via Sprint 4G
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    Gun owners may come to rue the day that the Second Amendment was incorporated as a national right instead of the original intent of it being a chain on THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (all caps emphasis, not shouting, M'kay?)

When something is given by judicial fiat, it can be taken away.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The state government will slow-wobble the implementation of this thing to death.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,316 Senior Member
    mohican wrote: »
    Gun owners may come to rue the day that the Second Amendment was incorporated as a national right instead of the original intent of it being a chain on THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (all caps emphasis, not shouting, M'kay?)

So what's your suggestion to correct this? Bottom line....I don't like having to pay in order to practice a right, but at this point I'll do it while I fight for Constitutional Carry....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    mohican wrote: »

Well, if by "judicial fiat" you're talking about Scotus ruling on DC v. Heller, then I respectfully disagree. Scotus simply does not function that way. Overturning a prior decision is almost never done. When it's done it's a major thing like Dredd Scott or similar. But once Scotus has made a decision one way, the unwritten rule is that it's a done deal and reversal will only occur once per century, maybe.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    while you are correct that SCOTUS rarely overturns itself (even if they know precedent to be wrong) it still happens. With incorporation comes the other problem - states are much less willing to interject themselves as they used to. (as in Virginia and Kentucky resolutions nullifying the Alien and Sedition Acts.

What this also sets up is for executive, legislative or judicial restrictions then being tacked on. The court may not reverse itself, but may then come up with a restriction under another umbrella - whether its a restriction for those of "dissenter status" or "deemed unworthy by HHS" or some such. The only option then for states and localities is to then not enforce those mandates.