Home Main Category Personal Defense

Police shoot mans dog who was video taping an arrest

Mrs_ChiefMrs_Chief MemberPosts: 292 Member
I don't see how this guy was "Obstructing Justice", he should have been given a ticket for his loud music if it violated the city's law.

BTW, I wonder who was videoing the guy who was videoing..apparently they couldn't arrest the whole dang neighborhood..what are they afraid of, we the people might see what they are doing.

I support 99% of what LEOs do, but these last few years of these type shenanigans by police are beginning to make me jaded toward a lot of them.

Big Chief

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353347/Police-shoot-kill-Rottweiler-street-dog-runs-owner-arrested-obstruction-justice.html

Replies

• U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    #1 The cops should have made sure that the dog was secured properly, prior to the arrest. They knew he had the dog. That dog was executed by that cop! That idiot cop reached for the dog, and it doesn't look like the dog was being aggressive at all, and just jumped up to sniff? The suspect was being very cooperative, and should have had his handcuffs taken off, and been able to put his dog away. All this because of loud music, and I've heard a lot louder without cops arresting anyone. Why not just a ticket instead of obstruction of justice? He was videoing from good distance away, and not bothering them, other than the music. Selective enforcement of the laws sucks! The cops even have the nerve to say that they were defending the handcuffed defenseless dog owner from his own dog attacking him! That cop should be fired, charged, and jailed!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Amazing. Simply amazing. Dog being shot aside, how this guy was " obstructing justice" is beyond me.

From what I saw and read, he was told to turn down the music because it was interfering with police communications. Instead of complying, he started giving them lip.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    From what I saw and read, he was told to turn down the music because it was interfering with police communications. Instead of complying, he started giving them lip.

Respectfully disagree. As far as I could tell the man was doing nothing wrong with the exception of a brief stop in the intersection. After that, he parked and was simply filming as were many other onlookers doing as well. When he walked toward the police, at their instructions, he clearly had his wallet out in plain view with both hands. Looked to me he was being very cooperative and passive and then the officers slapped on the cuffs. He wasn't even given time to roll up the windows as the police were already coming toward him. I do however agree that this whole thing could have been avoided had he just went on his way or had initially left the dog in the car with the windows rolled up.
    U T wrote: »
    #1 The cops should have made sure that the dog was secured properly, prior to the arrest. They knew he had the dog. That dog was executed by that cop! That idiot cop reached for the dog, and it doesn't look like the dog was being aggressive at all, and just jumped up to sniff? The suspect was being very cooperative, and should have had his handcuffs taken off, and been able to put his dog away. All this because of loud music, and I've heard a lot louder without cops arresting anyone. Why not just a ticket instead of obstruction of justice? He was videoing from good distance away, and not bothering them, other than the music. Selective enforcement of the laws sucks! The cops even have the nerve to say that they were defending the handcuffed defenseless dog owner from his own dog attacking him! That cop should be fired, charged, and jailed!

Agree.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Ooops, I double posted this link, I didn't see this. Mods feel free to delete mine in "politics/2nd" thanks.
    cpj wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Not with the fact that just moving along would have prevented this, but with the fact that he should HAVE TO just move along.

You are 100% correct. I actually thought about that after pushing "enter".
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    He got involved in a situation that had absolutely nothing to do with him so he could ensure (in the dog owners words) "no one's civil rights got violated" ...in short...he set up the confrontation and his dog got shot because of it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,555 Senior Member
    That's a shame. It's a rare dog that can videotape an arrest. I believe most have gone to a digital format.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    He got involved in a situation that had absolutely nothing to do with him so he could ensure (in the dog owners words) "no one's civil rights got violated" ...in short...he set up the confrontation and his dog got shot because of it...

Gotta say I agree.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,642 Senior Member
    Sure looks like the dog was trying to go for the officer to me.

See my signature :roll:
    His "stupid prize" was a dead dog
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I really like you guys(Hawker, Bream, Knite) but i have to...strongly disagree...An LEO is a citizen, just like you, me, and everyone else, they MUST (IMHO) operate under the same laws and even common courtesies as us. If someone in passing insults you or takes a picture of you, you cannot confront them aggressively, make physical contact with them, then shoot their dog when it defends the owner and claim self defense. If any of us did what these officers did we would be charged with multiple crimes...
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I am a public servant who loves dogs. But you can bet your next paycheck if a pit, Shepard, or rottweiler came charging me and I felt like I was in danger I would have no problem defending myself with anything in my reach even if that is a halligan to the side of the dogs head.

I love dogs, but I love me more.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Cheetoh, "your" dog come at ME like that Rott did just before the shooting, you'd best be HOPING it's one of the rare times I'm NOT carrying. Like SGK, I like dogs as well, but I like ME a whole lot better
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That dog wasn't in any way aggressive until they (IMHO) illegally detained the owner. BTW on a Cleveland (I don't know why) news website they mentioned that the man who was detained has an open lawsuit involving several complaints including an arrest resulting in multiple injuries and at least one broken rib (I take all of this with a grain of salt) and guess who one of the officers involved in this was...one of the officers named in the open lawsuit...the same officer that supposedly yelled at him while he was crossing the street in the beginning of the video and started this whole thing. If you watch the video I'm not sure how you can think this was justified...He broke no law, and it is completely legal to video record the Police in performance of their duty. Their excuse of the music being to loud seems quite silly considering the people recording the video are much closer to the car playing the music than the officers and they are talking in normal voices and having no problem understanding each other and you can hear both the man that was detained and the officers across the street, past the music...

Knite, If my dog charged you while you were just walking down the street you would be absolutely justified and correct. Cause and effect...they physically harassed a citizen to the point of his dog trying to protect its owner, then shot the dog for doing so, and to boot arrested the dogs owner for "obstruction"...seems crazy to me...

If you walked up to someone and started a physical altercation then once they hit you, you pulled and shot them down you would be arrested and charged...These officers did just that.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    I take my dogs for a ride in the back of my truck all the time. What I don't do when I see a lot of cops is think, "Oh, I better stop, walk my dog and record those cops to make sure they don't violate someone's rights." While it doesn't appear that the man was really a problem that needed to be dealt with by taking him into custody, if he didn't make it his business, he wouldn't be having this issue. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, you don't need to make everything your business. It is especially not his business to make himself the Civil Rights Police. Lawyers have already screwed that one up.....

I will not say that taking the man into custody right away was the right thing. I wasn't there. But hindsight......you know the saying. Once they did take him into custody, that dog became their issue to deal with. And the dog, right or wrong, got aggressive with them. It was a damn shame and it sucks that the guy saw it happen. That was a bad situation that just kept getting worse.

And yes, a LEO is a citizen. But comparing a LEO doing his or her job to everyone else is not exactly accurate. Public servants, not just cops, do jobs that carry more risk and are targeted much more than people who do not serve the public, so they do legally have qualified immunity. They are not immune to civil rights violation litigation. The detention of the man appears to be wrong based only on what's seen in the video and not knowing anything else. But that was done and at the same moment, the dog jumps out. The shooting of that dog, while very unfortunate, is not a violation of anyone's right and was not illegal. The dog was aggressive toward them and wouldn't have been in that situation if it's owner didn't do what he did.

The shooting of the dog brings emotion into the equation. If the man was taken into custody, the dog stayed in the car and was taken by animal control and nothing else happened, nobody would be talking about this.
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    I really like you guys(Hawker, Bream, Knite) but i have to...strongly disagree...An LEO is a citizen, just like you, me, and everyone else, they MUST (IMHO) operate under the same laws and even common courtesies as us. If someone in passing insults you or takes a picture of you, you cannot confront them aggressively, make physical contact with them, then shoot their dog when it defends the owner and claim self defense. If any of us did what these officers did we would be charged with multiple crimes...

I agree.

It's ironic that when the TSA is filmed doing a full body search on a child or LEO's going door to door confiscating firearms we call it un-constitutional, but when a man is simply filming and without any provocation towards police and ends up being detained and his dog being shot we then call it justified??? Don't quite get that one. I fail to see what this man did to warrant him being cuffed and detained in the first place. LEO's say it was for playing music too loud. Yeah....riiiiight... In Hawthorn of all places??...haha.. PLEASE. That's like asking Jimmy Page to turn it down a notch at a reunion concert.
    Cause and effect...they physically harassed a citizen to the point of his dog trying to protect its owner,
    NO, they were doing what the citizens of that city HIRED them to do, trying to enforce the law. Dude brought this on himself. If he'd not been looking for something to harass the cops with and just kept driving like 99% of the population would have, he and his dog would be riding around blaring his music too loud today.
    "dude" has a beef with cops, so he stopped and decided to stick his nose somewhere it didn't belong, didn't secure his dog well enough and fido got stupid and got dead.

If you walked up to someone and started a physical altercation then once they hit you, you pulled and shot them down you would be arrested and charged...These officers did just that.
    BIG difference between what I can or can't do and an LEO. I have the option of leaving, they don't.
    Pretty much an apples to goldfish argument in this case.

• U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    I am a public servant who loves dogs. But you can bet your next paycheck if a pit, Shepard, or rottweiler came charging me and I felt like I was in danger I would have no problem defending myself with anything in my reach even if that is a halligan to the side of the dogs head.

I love dogs, but I love me more.

That dog did NOT come charging at anyone! He was as much interested in sniffing around the ground as he was with anything else, once he got near his owner and the cops. That **** cop reached out to him, setting him up to be killed. If he hadn't acted like such a wimp, and hadn't pulled back, he probably would have gotten licked. That dog wasn't protecting his owner, or cops would have been bitten! Once the cops decided to arrest, they should have secured the dog which they apparently thought was a deadly weapon and unlike a gun, could go off on it's own. If he had carried a gun, an inanimate object, and had put it back in his car, I'm sure they would have secured it, so why wouldn't they secure a dog, since they deemed it to be such a danger?

Police dogs, are treated like full fledged officers, and bite the crap out of people, and victims/suspects can get charged with assault on an officer if they fight back. If a cop went around biting people he'd be charged. Wonder what would happen if someone shot a police dog that jumped up to sniff them?

To others that say that this wouldn't have happened if the guy just kept driving, that is correct, but this is USA where we have rights to do things, observe, video, etc., without being harassed by the law, and if we break the law, cops need not take out vengeance if they don't like what is happening. I've seen many videos of cops getting all pissed off, and irrational at being videoed. The video camera has made cops more honest and law abiding, and has not only helped to convict some, it has also exonerated some, kind of goes both ways. I'm sure Rodney King was very thankful that someone video taped his severe beating by cops, but sure the cops wish otherwise. Cops video tape civilians vise versa. Shouldn't be a big deal at all.
    If anyone thought I was defending the officer, they didn't really read my post.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Mrs_ChiefMrs_Chief Member Posts: 292 Member
    That's a shame. It's a rare dog that can videotape an arrest. I believe most have gone to a digital format.

Yep, I figured someone would read the thread title and think I was saying a dog did the video taping..............hey they BTW put webcams on some police/rescue dogs.......:tooth:
    Exactly!

Like I said though, most have gone away from videotape and are now using digital recorders. It's easier to get, and you don't have to search out a VCR....
    Overkill is underrated.
    If anyone thought I was defending the officer, they didn't really read my post.

My bad...apologies.
    No worries. Just wanted to clarify.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Those cops are female reproductive organs.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    I agree.

It's ironic that when the TSA is filmed doing a full body search on a child or LEO's going door to door confiscating firearms we call it un-constitutional, but when a man is simply filming and without any provocation towards police and ends up being detained and his dog being shot we then call it justified??? Don't quite get that one. I fail to see what this man did to warrant him being cuffed and detained in the first place. LEO's say it was for playing music too loud. Yeah....riiiiight... In Hawthorn of all places??...haha.. PLEASE. That's like asking Jimmy Page to turn it down a notch at a reunion concert.

I agree 100%...The "pick and choose" is strong on here.

Another case of JBThugery IMHO.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    If I was a LEO and involved with securing an area around a barricaded suspect, I wouldn't want to have my back to some mouthy individual and Dogzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfmg6QVtZ08
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270