Home Main Category Personal Defense

Took a training class with Talon Defense.

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Just got through taking a class with Chase and Brandon of Talon Defense. I will DEFINITELY be taking more classes with them in the future. Folks, I'm 24 years old, I've been shooting for literally the last 20 years, trust me when I tell you, you NEED to get some kind of professional training.

Even if you know what to do when it comes to running a gun, running it in front of someone who can help you correct the mistakes that you're making, and you ARE making mistakes, is infinitely more beneficial than putting a thousand rounds downrange on your own.

I wasn't screwing much up, but what I was, I had no idea that I was even doing it. The guys pointed out what I was doing wrong, explained WHY their way was better (their reasoning was infallible), and helped me work at it until I got it right.

These guys are local to me (although they do travel), I'm not saying fly across the country to take a course with them, but if you live within a few hours of Gadsden, I'd definitely advise taking a course with them. Otherwise, find a local instructor/company and get some professional training with them. Either way, you NEED to take a class with someone. The old adage is true, you really don't know what you don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/TalonDefense.org

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    Good deal!

I've been through some most excellent schools and it helps out a lot to refine skills. If you think you are good enough and don't need to learn more, you are fooling yourself. Shooting is a perishable skill and we can always improve.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    My local gunsmith sponsors handgun and carbine classes every now and then; I should probably take him up on them. What training I've had has been from friends passing on the formal training that they'd had.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member

Eli, awesome to hear. Sounds like it was well worth it.

Thanks, it was definitely worth it. The class that I took was Handgun Fundamentals (although I ran the class with my EDC rig, instead of the recommended belt-holster set up), while I "knew" everything they went over, I wasn't doing everything correctly.

Working on fundamentals with someone to coach you really reinforces how much of a misnomer "practice makes perfect" is. In reality, Perfect Practice Makes Perfect! If you screw something up a thousand times, even though it is "practice", you've really actually done more harm than good. I knew HOW to do the things that they went over, but didn't actually know that I wasn't doing them. Definitely an eye opening experience, and as time/ammo/money allows, I'll be taking more classes with them.