Who likes the Remington Model 600 Mohawk?

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,765 Senior Member
I loved the Model 600 with vent rib that was discontinued in the late '60's. I almost bought one in .308 for my first deer rifle, but opted instead for a Model 88 Winchester. Anyhow, a guy who wants to sell his Model 600 Mohawk is bringing it by tomorrow for me to look at. The Mohawk is the same carbine style but supposedly with a heavier contour 18-1/2" barrel than the older vent rib model. It was built in the '70's, has a smooth birch stock (instead of checkered walnut), and is a .243. It has a Leupold scope on it of unknown vintage and power, and is reputed to be in excellent condition. Your thoughts, please.

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,806 Senior Member
    My initial thought is one in 243 may be rare as if IIRC most were chambered in larger bore diameters ?
    Might be worth checking on.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,935 Senior Member
    If you like it, get it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,136 Senior Member
    Good rifles, a little ahead of their time. More accurate than they should have been. I think the XP100 was based on that action. BIL had one in .308, it could shoot 1" all day.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,370 Senior Member
    They had a major recall on this long ago because the safety would trigger the rifle to fire. Or something like that.

They're sought after, though. "If you like it, get it."
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    It was a nice little rifle. My friend's dad has one to this day in 6mm Rem. It shoots good and has killed a many a deer. The action is nothing more than an early version of the model 7. or rather the 7 is an improved 600. In fact, that's why there is a model 7. I remember when the 7 came out.

I read a couple of articles on it, though I can't remember for the life of me who wrote them. I'm thinking one might have been by John Wooters, that essentially said something to the effect that the 600 action was back, but they're going to call it the Model 7. They just gave the bolt handle a new shape and gave it a better trigger-safety system, and put it in a prettier stock with nicer hardware.

Actually Weatherby, I've seen more of them in .243 and 6mm than 308. Those were the days before the 7-08.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member
    Actually the 600 was made after the XP-100.
    Nice rifles!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    My initial thought is one in 243 may be rare as if IIRC most were chambered in larger bore diameters ?
    Might be worth checking on.
    From what I can figure out, the .222's and some of the rarer larger calibers are getting scarce and bring a hefty price. The .243's I've seen are running about $450 - $500 on the auction sites. I might pay $500 if the scope is good and I like the condition. I wasn't looking for a .243, but I like them just fine, if the rifle is something I want, when I see it.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Good rifles, a little ahead of their time. More accurate than they should have been. I think the XP100 was based on that action. BIL had one in .308, it could shoot 1" all day.
    Yep, every person I've talked to about them for the last 40 years says they are accurate, in a variety of chamberings.
    Gene L wrote: »
    They had a major recall on this long ago because the safety would trigger the rifle to fire. Or something like that.

They're sought after, though. "If you like it, get it."
    Yep, 1979, the last year they were made. Timney still makes a trigger with safety for this model, if that turned out to be a problem.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    I had one in .222 when I was younger. It was given to me by a friend of my uncle's. I didn't reload at the time and ammo wasn't easily available for a broke teenager/early 20-something year old, so I gave it to my uncle. He took several deer with it. I have no idea where that rifle is now. I really enjoyed that thing; the little bit of shooting I did do with it. I was made aware of the safety recall on it and made sure that one was fixed.

It's one I wish I had back......
    I understand that. But the model 7 was sort of a continuation of the whole affair.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    So how does the 700 action differ from the 788/XP-100/600/Model 7 action?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    Model 7 is 1/2" shorter than the 700. I don't know of any other differences.
    788 is has 9 rear lugs as opposed to the 2 front of all the others. Made using different machining methods. The only things it shares with the 700 are, I believe, the action lug and the barrel thread.
    Dunno about the others, but looking at parts the 600 trigger is different than the 700 and the 7.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,136 Senior Member
    The 788 is a totally different animal, it has rear locking lugs, poo pooed by the gun scribes of the day. Never saw much difference between the 700 and 600 series except it was short action. But then, I've never compared the two side by side.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,032 Senior Member
    Ahh, the 600/660 Remington. I remember shooting a friend's in 350 rem. mag. Ouch! I could have gotten one in 6mm. but, stupidly passed it up. I always look for them at gun shows, but no luck yet.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    I have one in 6mm Rem. It is a tack driver. My Dad bought it at an auction. The auctioneer thought was a .22. I also have a model 700 BDL in .243 Win, that is the most accuurate rifle I own......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    This might or might not be important, but...

Jeff Cooper built his first Scout rifle, and the Super Scout rifle on Remington 600s.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I wouldn't kick one out of the bed for eating crackers..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    I bought it. It is in good condition and has a Leupold Vari-X II in 3-9x40. It will be perfect for one of my grandsons...after I get tired of it. The stock is a bit short for me.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member
    Good for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,150 Senior Member
    Needing a screwdriver/punch/pokey thing to remove the bolt is my only real grievance with the design. A short, thick barrel would be an improvement to accuracy. If you have a crack at a version without a vent rib, sweet. It's not a shotgun, so that's not doing you any favors besides aesthetics.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    bisley wrote: »
    So how does the 700 action differ from the 788/XP-100/600/Model 7 action?

NO big differences with the 700 family Edited to add: except the trigger as I noted in another thread, and the bolt handle shape, but it's totally different from the 788, which is a rear locking action with multiple lugs. Some don't like the 788, but mine shot and still shoots, though not in my hands, great. It was one of those rare out of the box half minute rifles. Dang divorce! Cheaper to Keep her!!!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,806 Senior Member
    Good for you Bisley.......tick tock tick tock....let the fine begin
    Hey that sounds like a good deal. You are definitely pulling the atmospheric pressure down.

That scope is a good one. It's a more than fitting mate to that great old rifle. I have one like it on my Ruger 77 Tang Safety that's being rebarreled to 9.3x62 Mauser. A few years back, Leupold changed up their scope line and added some higher end scopes. When they did this, the Vari X II was renamed the VX-1. I have both, the Vari X II and a couple of VX-1s. They are about as good for the money as you could expect. All 3 of mine are clear as a bell and hold their settings as well as any scope I have. In other words, you can spend a whole lot more money for very little gain.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    I bought it. It is in good condition and has a Leupold Vari-X II in 3-9x40. It will be perfect for one of my grandsons...after I get tired of it. The stock is a bit short for me.

Bisley, you have been here a looong time, no pic no gun. Let's see some pics of that baby, I have always thought they were one of the nicest looking rifles Remington ever made.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I understand that. But the model 7 was sort of a continuation of the whole affair.

I am also under the impression that the Model 600's were the predecessor of the model 7.

Does anyone have information otherwise?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    I took the pictures, but my transfer cable has disappeared and I can't get them into the computer.
    I took the pictures, but my transfer cable has disappeared and I can't get them into the computer.

Bisley. do you have a port on the front of your computer's processor tower that accepts the card from your camera? If so, plug your card in, and it should show your pics under computer in the removable storage icon.

I too lost my cable and this is what I've been doing for the last two years.

Oh yeah, make sure you get the card in right, with the beveled edge pointed in the right direction. To do this, if the port is not marked, just try and insert it easily and if it doesn't go in, turn it over and try it the other way.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member

...you can get a "card reader", like a USB thumbdrive for $10-15, insert the card into the reader, plug the reader into you USB port, pics are available instantaneous. Match one to your camera card or just get a "universal" that accepts most data cards...
    My SD card reader is also not working. I'll try my computer at work when I get back there.