ZEE, Ernie, looks like I get to be the Guinea Pig.

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Just picked up a Diamondback DB9. Won't be able to get to the range for a little while, but when I do, I'll report back to tell how she ran.

DiamondbackDB9.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Nice!!!!!

Be thorough.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,671 Senior Member
    :popcorn:

I've seen those and been intrigued, especially by the size and price. Will be interested to hear how it goes.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Is Diamond back a Spin off from Kel-tec?

Nice looking piece BTW
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,084 Senior Member
    Nope. Completely different company. In fact, the guys at Diamondback started out building these:
    image.axd?picture=2013%2F4%2Fnra_airboat_2013.jpg
    Their boats are fine pieces of machinery. I prefer Air Gator and Alumitech (same company, Alumitech is the more industrial side) but that's partially because my Dad knew the founder of Air Gator.

The Diamondback mechanism is more Glock-like without the trigger flipper.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I saw their AR line up...Looks like they love the 300 AAC...All of their pistols look like good carry pieces.

Eli, yup...gotta let us know how it shoots...especially JHP stuff.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    I'm glad someone bit the bullet and is giving it a good run through:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I hope your luck is better than mine. I bought one right after they were available and it went back twice. Once for a trigger problem and a the second time for a crack in the polymer frame where the trigger pins go through. The frame was replaced on both visits. My first frame was the older style with two trigger pins through the polymer. The second had three pins. Surprisingly, it was reliable and reasonably accurate until it broke. I traded mine to a fully informed friend about a hundred rounds after the second return from the factory. I doubt he's put 50 rounds through it in the last year.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    ...and they are Tauruses now:tooth:
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    It looks like a Glock got drunk and had relations with a PMR-30 and this is the offspring that resulted.... :p
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    I kinda like it, Let us know how she does.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I am interested in your opinions on this one Eli.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    First impressions, seems to be a quality built piece. The interaction between all of the parts isn't Wilson Combat smooth, but at the same time, it isn't Kel-Tec rough by any means.

The manual says don't fire any +P out of it and I can see why. The one area that raises a smidgen of concern is the thickness of the barrel/wall. The wall is about the same thickness as the barrel on my .25acp Beretta 950. I'm not a fan on +P ammo in general, so I didn't have any intentions of running any through it anyway, but this is the first gun that I've owned that specifically states "ta not to."

At the end of the day, my intention for this is to be a 9mm backup gun that rides in the pocket easier than a J-Frame and rides the pocketbook easier than a Rohrbaugh R9. I THINK that it'll serve my purpose, but only range time will tell. Will report back when I have some rounds through it.
    I will add a couple of more points about my experience with the DB9. I didn't have a failure until I had almost 300 round through mine. The second failure (and second trip back to Florida) was much sooner~around 100 rounds, maybe a few more.

Customer service was excellent, but that was Pre-Taurus.

It's funny you mention the Rorhbaugh. I was on the verge of ordering one when I bought the DB9...big mistake. Since then I've decided a Kahr CM9 is small enough and they have a much better trigger than the DB9 anyway...

Also be aware that the magazines in the DB9s are spotty on quality. Some feed, some don't.
    Durwood wrote: »

Also be aware that the magazines in the DB9s are spotty on quality. Some feed, some don't.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
    So, my Federal +P+ ammo is a no-no?

:-)
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

I'm sure it would work once.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Zee wrote: »

Depends on whether or not you ENJOY picking pieces out of you skin. Personally I've been through that whole experience once.....and that was one time too many. :tooth:

Seriously though, I wouldn't run anything more than standard through it. Just don't think it would end well.
    I'll send you some. Remember, you need to be thorough. Might as well find out what happens.

;-)
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I have seen a few come back for problems, not sure what, but we do not see many guns come back for repair work.....even Tauri come in less. I will be watching this one, hopefully it works out
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.