I just bought an AK74...

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,378 Senior Member
It won't be in my hands for a week or so, so please withhold the fine. A certain bald-headed instigator made it known to me that Classic Firearms is currently selling Waffen Werks AK74s with unfinished stocks for $599, and I couldn't pass it up.

I'm not a huge AK fan, but ammo is less than .22 LR right now, and if I don't like it I can flip it for a profit.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    AK-47, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every mofo in the room; accept no substitutes.... Or even better

as the discovery channel put it when talking about the 10 best combat rifles...

If I had to go to a planet...an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down, I want an AK-47...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    It won't be in my hands for a week or so, so please withhold the fine. A certain bald-headed instigator made it known to me that Classic Firearms is currently selling Waffen Werks AK74s with unfinished stocks for $599, and I couldn't pass it up.

I'm not a huge AK fan, but ammo is less than .22 LR right now, and if I don't like it I can flip it for a profit.

Talk to me. What are Waffen Werks AKs? How much are AKs going for, currently in your neck of the woods?
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    AK-47, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every mofo in the room; accept no substitutes.... Or even better

as the discovery channel put it when talking about the 10 best combat rifles...

If I had to go to a planet...an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down, I want an AK-47...

Too bad he got an AK-74! :tooth:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    Too bad he got an AK-74! :tooth:

Beat me too it.
    I lump them into the Same....IT is almost like the difference between AR15 and AR10
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    I lump them into the Same....IT is almost like the difference between AR15 and AR10

For sure. You will get no quarter here though....:whip2:
    BTW...Nice score shooter. I have been wanting one for years now.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    A certain bald-headed instigator made it known to me that Classic Firearms is currently selling Waffen Werks AK74s with unfinished stocks for $599, and I couldn't pass it up.

:tooth:

I do what I can.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    I have a Romanian WASR10 Underfolder and I love it. It loves cheap ammo, works first time-every time, and they look uber-cool when pimped out with picatinny rails, scope, light, laser, vertical foregrip and 75 round drum magazine. Feinstein would have a heart attack if she saw it.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Congrats! i saw him tag you in the post on FB.

Working on completing my 7.62 collection before I move on to 5.45's but trust me, they are going to multiply enough that the 5.45's will need their own safe as well.

PSL is on the way, just need a Serbian with a fixed stock to go with my underfolder and a Yugo RPK. Current project is converting the Romak I bought in the early 90's back to original AK configuration. Going to go side folder on that one.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
    I prefer the underfold to the Side fold. But if you have a collection going...Mights as well do both.
    Already have a pre import ban Yugo underfolder. Have to add the side folder just to complete the entire option range.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
    I agree...DO you have the drum for your RPK?
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    So what is some good "American sized" polymer furniture to throw on this thing?
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Oh, and to answer previous questions: Waffen Werks is fairly well known for making quality AK builds from Bulgarian parts with all the popular additions (enough parts for 922r compliance, Tapco G2 trigger unit, bake-on finish, etc). At least, that's what the Internet told me.

As far as price, AKs of any stripe are STARTING at $800 around here if you can find one.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    Enjoy! That price is enough to make me consider one again. I've been thinking of adding a 74 to go with my 47. I want to set mine up with a skeletonized side folding stock and an ultimak mounted red dot of some kind.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member

I have and like the NATO length stocks that K-Var/Arsenals wear. I think its 1.5" longer than the commie size.

Depending on what you want I'd consider refinishing the furniture that comes with it if it's not too terrible. Here is what my WASR10 that came with crappy looking unfinished furniture looks like after a bunch of coats of tru-oil

ak029.jpg
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing this one.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I am still trying to talk myself out of buying one.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I agree...DO you have the drum for your RPK?

Nope, mine didn't come with the drum. I bought it a few years back. I will pick a couple up when the prices fall back down to earth.
    HAd this discussion happened about 4 years ago, I could have came across a few for you..
    cpj wrote: »
    $800 form the preferred weapon of folks who wipe their backsides with their bare fingers? No thanks.

Me neither, but I didn't pay $800. Some other donkey butt will if I decide to get rid of it.
    If you want it's big brother century has a small number of PSL's available for around $850 shipped with 4 mags and original scope. Might be worth grabbing just to flip for a profit since they are selling for between $1300 and $2000 right now.
    rallykid wrote: »
    If you want it's big brother century has a small number of PSL's available for around $850 shipped with 4 mags and original scope. Might be worth grabbing just to flip for a profit since they are selling for between $1300 and $2000 right now.

Really wishing I would have picked one of those up when they were breifly available for around $600
    -DoctorWho
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Helicopters, now this, when will it end :tooth: :guns::guns:

Looks like they had them put together right too.

Ammo is priced right @ 1080 rounds fer about $200 = 18 1/2 cents a round! Can't get nothing (Centerfire Surplus) worth shootin at that price anymo!

http://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74riflewuspartsw1magonlycodeb

http://www.classicfirearms.com/ammunition/russian-5-45x39-ammunition
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The surplus stuff is corrosive but that's nothing some soapy water and Windex won't fix. I'll only get a chance to shoot it every few months so not a huge deal.
    Chrome lined barrel so not that big of a deal with corrosive. Shoot some windex in it and it is fine. I have shot it out of my non chrome lined Yugo with no problems. Just give it a quick clean at the range and a good cleaning when you get home.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    As far as cleaning them with Windex goes, check out these two vids. Something I ran across when I was researching the best method of cleaning out the corrosive salts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFKCTfKENc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C7TtpjVls&noredirect=1

Just food for thought.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Proves there is always more than one way to skin a cat!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!