Hunting Sight for Marlin 336?

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,657 Senior Member
The sights on my Marlin 336 that is used for hunting hogs in the Palmettos, are totally useless for my eyes. The 3X9 scope that came with it is also much less than deal for this situation.

I had purchased a One Ragged Hole peep sight and after shooting it for the first time at the SE Shoot it was so inaccurate that I promptly wiped it down and put the gun back in the case.

I now turn you my fellow forum members for advice. Many of you hunt and shoot way more than I do and I am willing to bet that someone has something that works.

While I find the EOtech holo sight exceptional on my M-4, it just wouldn’t look proper on a lever gun.
So I ask, what do you guys suggest?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,724 Senior Member
    A small dot sight like a Burris Fastfire wight be small enough to not be offensive:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

I would suggest also the XS sights peep or Williams, but if you did not like the One Ragged Hole, you might not like those either:
    http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle1.htm
    (I have the williams on my Winchester. LOVE it.)

Also, if you want a scope for fast shooting, look at one of the new 1-4x scopes that are becoming popular on ARs. Or go Scout and do a Long Eye Relief scope.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,724 Senior Member
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I have used a Weaver 4x ever since I bought the rifle. It was a replacement for my Winchester. Never had a problem with the Weaver.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Friend of mine got this XS Ghost-Ring hunting sights set from Midway for his .357 1894c:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363936/xs-ghost-ring-hunting-sight-set-marlin-444p-and-1895-with-integral-ramp-fits-70-and-10-hole-spacing-front-base-steel-matte

Easy to install in the factory-drilled receiver, was a HUGE improvement over the factory sights. I got cheap and cut a square notch in the factory rear sight using a small file and changed the gold bead front blade (Dovetail) with a rectangular one like those used in 1911 pistols. Same results but keeping the factory elevation ladder and almost no spending; excellent target picture and noticeable accuracy improvement!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Up in the North Part of the State...When we hunted Hogs along the Escambia, that is all we ever used...3x9 or Iron sites. most all of our shots were under 50 meters though.

I would go with a Red Dot. I am about to put one my 45-70
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    I'm not familiar with the One Ragged Hole sights, but a plain old Williams 5D sight lengthens the sight radius and shrinks groups noticeably once a shooter learns to ignore the rear sight and just put the front bead where he wants the bullet to strike. Most of the problems shooters have with peep sights is from trying to use them like regular sights- - - -aligning the sights before shooting. A rear peep is intended to disappear, with the shooter's eye instinctively looking through the middle of the hole. That takes a considerable amount of practice.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    The sights on my Marlin 336 that is used for hunting hogs in the Palmettos, are totally useless for my eyes. The 3X9 scope that came with it is also much less than deal for this situation.

I had purchased a One Ragged Hole peep sight and after shooting it for the first time at the SE Shoot it was so inaccurate that I promptly wiped it down and put the gun back in the case.

I now turn you my fellow forum members for advice. Many of you hunt and shoot way more than I do and I am willing to bet that someone has something that works.

While I find the EOtech holo sight exceptional on my M-4, it just wouldn’t look proper on a lever gun.
    So I ask, what do you guys suggest?

Williams peeps. That's all I'll use on my 30-30s. I remember your setup. You need something much close to your eye. I know Winchesters have two screws on the left side of the receiver that allow a top mounted Williams peep. That's what I have.

I don't know what Marlins setup is, but they do have tang mounted peeps. Those look cool but I have no experienced with them.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Bullsi has the best solution. Put on the XS ghost ring.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,095 Senior Member
    I've got a Lyman 66LA receiver sight on mine with a Williams Aperture Twilight 3/8" diameter with .093 hole.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116045/lyman-receiver-sight-66la-marlin-336-1894-aluminum-blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/641211/williams-aperture-twilight-3-8-diameter-with-093-hole-black

You might like one of the Merit adjustable apertures instead of the Williams I use. I have the gold bead sight up front.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I have these sights on my .444 and my 39a

http://www.skinnersights.com/

Love them
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,758 Senior Member
    I had a 336 and topped it with a Weaver Wide View 1.5 X 4.5 scope.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,197 Senior Member
    I kind of like that Scout Mount.
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    If one's eyes are going bad, as they will eventually do for most of us, I agree that a Red dot sight works okay. I have one on an AR and an old Weatherby XXII. I am still fan of a large peep ring however and much prefer them to a scope any day for hunting in the brush. For me, a peep sighted 336 is a pig getter par excellence!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,657 Senior Member
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am now attempting to decide between the Williams sights suggested by bullsi and theSkinners suggested by gator. Both look like they will work well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    With the Williams sights, you have a wide variety of peep disc and hole sizes to choose from, as well as removing the threaded aperture altogether and just using the remaining hole in the holder as a ghost-ring. Or, Williams makes and markets specific "ghost ring" apertures to replace the threaded holders, for their WGRS, FP, and 5D sights, which run a bit larger in diameter than the original piece.

Not sure if the Skinners offer the same versatility. Side note: The Williams 5D/FP apertures use a fairly standard thread, which will also fit Lyman, Redfield, and other peep sights, and which are also compatible with the high-end Merit discs. Only consideration would be on the WGRS small-profile peep sight, which need a "Long Shank" aperture from Williams. The 5D/FP sights have no such concern.

I like the idea of using a larger disc/smaller hole for sighting in, and accuracy work, then just unscrewing it to use a ghost-ring arrangement.