Home Main Category Personal Defense

Never bring a knife to a gunfight, chapter 4,693

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Or the nozzle still in her tank .............and kept pumping on her debit card after it was ripped off when she drove off, one bullet is cheaper than many gallons of gas:jester:

Actually, Massad Ayoob wrote many an article about an attacker with a knife vs a victim with a holstered handgun. He proved in court as an expert witness for the defense (by demonstration with a rubber knife) how fast a knife attacker could close in and cut someone with a holstered gun. It does blow yer mind to thunk how much of a disadvantage you really are at when attacked by a knife welding assassin.
    If it's like it's in my area of FL, you can only pump gas if your hand is on it. Too many accidents. So, it wouldn't be that hard to just pull the nozzle out.

As for Ayoob, I fully understand. So the question becomes: how did the cretin get in close to her? I tend to look at these articles as opportunities to learn from others, see if they made a mistake, and go on.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I've thought that if I'm ever accosted while I'm pumping gas, instead of pulling a gun, knife, or going hand to hand, I could just yank the nozzle out of my gas tank and spray the guy down, preferably in the face. If that doesn't stop him, at least I've gained an advantage, and can either run, drive off, pull a weapon, or light his (edited) on fire (ok, not really). And if he gives up and runs off, my description of "Blue jeans, red shirt, white tennis shoes, about 5'10", with puffy red bloodshot eyes, having trouble breathing, smells of gasoline" should give the police a pretty definite I.D. on him.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Just for the heii of it I would have been considering spraying him with the gas hose,put you thumb over the nozzle an let er rip
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    More info on this shooting. Here's the followup story and the video:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Argument-leads-to-fatal-shooting-in-southeast-Houston-216412611.html

It's a cluster-xxx as you can see, but the woman was clearly minding her own beeswax and the guy wouldn't leave her alone. She gets the rifle and appears to try to warn him away, and then he lunges at her so she retreats a few steps and then fires.

The brother of the dead guy is of course upset, saying that it's like the "wild west" where his brother didn't even have a gun. Well, yeah.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Does Texas have a "Stand Yer Pump" law...........:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Well, knowing our gubernator, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets passed soon. Fine with me.
    I responded after you, so... guess who I was talking to? If I was responding to Big Chief, I'd have quoted him. Like I'm doing to you.

I was just funnin' wit ya. I guess she could have retreated and gotten in her car (now the video shows otherwise but neither of us knew that then) but she's not obligated to retreat. Texas has been a "stand your ground" state for ages, the newer law passed a couple years back just clarifies and codifies it.

Her leaving might have been the more judicious thing, true, but that's not how things worked out. Going back to the video, which we now have, she was essentially out of pocket and her retreating into her car would have likely exposed her to attack.

At the latest word, the case will be referred to the grand jury without charges, which 99% of the time, means she walks, as grand juries are normally rubber stamps for the prosecutor.
    If it's like it's in my area of FL, you can only pump gas if your hand is on it. Too many accidents. So, it wouldn't be that hard to just pull the nozzle out.

As for Ayoob, I fully understand. So the question becomes: how did the cretin get in close to her? I tend to look at these articles as opportunities to learn from others, see if they made a mistake, and go on.

Some Tx municipalities, like I think Austin (who woulda guessed?) forbid pump handle locks but they are okay in Houston.

With the video we can better reconstruct the incident, at least see where the 2 people were and so on.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,535 Senior Member
    I'll probably catch grief for this but...

If she could get a rifle out of her vehicle, why didn't she just get into the vehicle, lock the doors, and drive off?
    Saw the vid and I was going to add that he might have been following her and that seems to be the case. He closed every time she turned her back. He struck her with the knife hand and she shot. She then took a pic and drove away soooooo.............
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    samzhere wrote: »
    I was just funnin' wit ya. I guess she could have retreated and gotten in her car (now the video shows otherwise but neither of us knew that then) but she's not obligated to retreat. Texas has been a "stand your ground" state for ages, the newer law passed a couple years back just clarifies and codifies it.

Her leaving might have been the more judicious thing, true, but that's not how things worked out. Going back to the video, which we now have, she was essentially out of pocket and her retreating into her car would have likely exposed her to attack.

At the latest word, the case will be referred to the grand jury without charges, which 99% of the time, means she walks, as grand juries are normally rubber stamps for the prosecutor.
    We see what happened, but can't hear what was said. We don't know if she said anything to antagonize him. It appears she approached him with the rifle. To some folks, that doesn't look too good. It's a big turd sandwich. Some will probably argue that he swung at her because she had the knife out. She did make a BIG mistake letting him get that close.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Saw the vid and I was going to add that he might have been following her and that seems to be the case. He closed every time she turned her back. He struck her with the knife hand and she shot. She then took a pic and drove away soooooo.............
    Well, her turning her back was not the smartest thing. And doing it repeatedly indicates she wasn't that smart, in my opinion.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Well, her turning her back was not the smartest thing. And doing it repeatedly indicates she wasn't that smart, in my opinion.

Agreed. I don't think we're dealing with Rhodes Scholars here. But from what I've seen, she will not be charged.

Anyway, we rarely have real life videos of citizens involved in a shoot, so this is instructive.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    At least she wasn't a White Hispanic:jester:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    At least she wasn't a White Hispanic:jester:

:nono:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Yeah I know, the no no was more to say that his comment belongs in a whole nother thread cause this one is about to get off track, Kind of a "ya really wanna go there kinda thing"
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    From what I see in the video, it looks like a justified shoot to me.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I know, that's what I've been reading, it went south fast.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »

He left it unattended.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Yes he did.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    The BG looks like Fred Sanford
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,407 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Some Tx municipalities, like I think Austin (who woulda guessed?) forbid pump handle locks but they are okay in Houston.

I don't think that's correct. There was a handle lock on my pump this morning.

However, they have banned single use grocery bags, so the handle lock thingie would not be surprising.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,407 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    From what I see in the video, it looks like a justified shoot to me.

Same here. It met all the legal justifications. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    One point driven home, to me anyway, is if it happens in town, you should assume it's all on video.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The point about having a good deterrent handy (the gas nozzle) is something to remember. Very few dirtbags are going to be willing to press on with an assault when they're soaked in a gallon of gas, particularly if a lighter is handy. It might make further defensive actions completely unnecessary. If he keeps on coming, then the muzzle flash might be just the thing to get the marshmallow roast under way!
    Jerry
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    They may want her to explain why she,

(A) Finished pumping her gas.

(B) Pulled out her phone and took a pic of the deceased scumbag.

(C) Got in her car and drove off.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    cpj wrote: »
    If what I saw is what I saw, she got the gun from the trunk, in plain sight of the room temp dirtbag. That should tell him, "maybe I failed in the victim selection part of this crime".
    I see it as pretty cut and dried, from what little the video showed.

As to the stupid douche who said it was like the "wild Wild West", I say yeah, so? He came at her with a knife. He got shot. What the hell would he expect her to do? Stand there and get cut?

My thoughts exactly, cp. The brother is of course upset, and as with all relatives of criminals, can't possibly imagine that the guy did anything wrong.
    gator wrote: »

Thread drift is part of life, especially among the warped minds of this forum membership.
    olesniper wrote: »
    They may want her to explain why she,

(A) Finished pumping her gas.

(B) Pulled out her phone and took a pic of the deceased scumbag.

(C) Got in her car and drove off.

True, most anywhere else but Texas. Here, what she did was to simply mark her trophy like any decent deer hunter would do.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I think she just screwed the pooch. She's claiming that the round she fired into the ground, ricocheted and hit the guy and, "She never intended to shoot directly at him."
    Oh......and her "activist" lawyer, who organized protest against the Zimmerman verdict, is pleading "Stand Your Ground".
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    This one's going nowhere- - - - -notice the skin color of both participants! The "journalists" won't waste any ink, or videotape on the story!
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The point about having a good deterrent handy (the gas nozzle) is something to remember. Very few dirtbags are going to be willing to press on with an assault when they're soaked in a gallon of gas, particularly if a lighter is handy. It might make further defensive actions completely unnecessary. If he keeps on coming, then the muzzle flash might be just the thing to get the marshmallow roast under way!
    Jerry

The fuel delivery man I used to speak to at the gas station instructed Me on that point, he did that a few times when delivering fuel somehow, hard to imagine considering the bulky hoses involved, he may have used the dispenser hose, the one he encouraged Me to use.

He also related the tactic of throwing a wallet or set of keys to distract a potential assailant.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996