Home Main Category Personal Defense

Browning Hi-Power article by G&A writer

bowserbbowserb MemberPosts: 277 Member
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    What I find interesting is a supposed Guns&Ammo writer having never had personal experience with the BHP.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    What I find interesting is a supposed Guns&Ammo writer having never had personal experience with the BHP.
    Probably another young writer. There is a whole generation who were never around when the Colt 1911 was the standard sidearm of the U.S. armed forces and the M-14 was the rifle. People for whom Glock has "always" been around. This writer probably never wrote a gun article on a typewriter.

Just a guess, of course.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Very irritating gun. To hold it in the hand, it's extremely comfortable, shooting it however, is a different matter entirely.

The safety and "beavertail" eat my thumb and thumb knuckle up, and the hammer might as well have been drill bit, coring into the web of my hand. I bobbed the hammer, but that did nothing for my thumb/knuckle. Luckily I found someone who really liked mine and was willing to give me what I paid for it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -looks like they got what they paid for- - - - - -if you want an author who knows what he's talking about, don't recruit the average Joe from the unemployment line. It would also help if he's been shaving for awhile.
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Its unclear if this guy has been paid and if so probably not that much to write this. Looks like a bloggish type post vs. a paid gunwriter. My understanding is gunwriters were never paid much and in the age of blogs and YouTube I'd bet it's even less with a lot more "semi-pro" or "freelance" writers.
    Concur, in these days of the new media one must be skeptical of just darn near everything and hardly believe anything. I'm old enough to miss Walter Cronkite. Who was once known as the most trusted man in America.
    "Good night David, Good night Chet.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Walter Cronkite can be credited with inspiring North Viet Nam to continue the war, after being demoralized by their huge losses in the Tet Offensive. General Giap has written that, despite early gains, the Tet offensive decimated the NVA and almost convinced him that the war aims could not be achieved. A follow-up punch by our military might well have brought North Viet Nam to the peace table, years earlier.

Walter Cronkite's declaration to his trusting viewers that the war was 'unwinnable' made 'political victory' possible for North Viet Nam, and was reinforced by guys like Dan Rather who voiced similar editorial comment and selected video that seemed to back that up. In my opinion, the damage done to this country by Cronkite et al was immeasurable.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I didn't buy a BHP back when when they were fairly cheap because it was a 9mm and had a mag disconnect. I've handled and fired a few, as well as clones over the years, some were atrocious. They (HPs) are well made, but not my cup of tea. You could do a lot worse in a 9mm semi pistol.

I'd probably rather have an HP than another half worn out P-38 by a long-shot. I imagine back in the day an HP was a better pistol than the S&W M-39 and probably more more reliable too.

The "Hi-Power" is a misnomer, of course. It was the first (?) higher capacity 9mm pistol and holds what 12-13 rounds compared to the single stacks it was competing with.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Didn't most of the screw-ups on the BHP come from a designer who took over the project after Browning died? Compared to the simplicity and reliability of the 1911, the High Power leaves a lot to be desired.
    Jerry
    109_0937.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Alpha

When I was occasionally getting features in Handguns magazine, they were paying very well. Not enough to live on, but I was getting $500 for about 2000 words and having fun doing it. I could hit the range, have my fun, sit at the computer for about two or three hours and be done.

Teach

After looking at the point where JMB died and the prototype he had developed to that point, it was hideous. Not only that, but it was mostly unfinished even then. The Belgique who took it over, definitely improved on JMBs design. However, the trigger mechanism they ended up with was terrible. It's easy to see how it could have been improved and I can't believe JMB would have accepted the final design as it was. Even then, with a little work and clipping a couple spring coils, it can be made fairly crisp. Mine is just about perfect for a service pistol. 5+ pounds but good let-off and no real overtravel - and this is with the magazine safety in place (though for some off reason...it doesn't work. Must be a mechanical malfunction somewhere:)

Writers have to start somewhere. Blogging is as good a place as any. A hundred years from now there's going to be a young writer who is shown a museum specimen of a 1911 and he's going to get so excited he'll pee his pants and write an article about it in a magazine called: "What Were Guns & Ammo?"
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I used to want one, till I actually got my hands on one. I will always think it is a beautiful pistol, but like the Bisley Colt that I love and will always keep, the Hi-Power just doesn't suit me, as a shooter. I think the CZ-75 is a major improvement on the Hi-Power design, and after shooting one a lot, it is my preferred solution for the DA/SA design. My 'B' model has a safety, rather than a de-cocker, so I can use it pretty much like a 1911, and that makes it a good range pistol or home defense pistol, which is the only use I have for a DA/SA.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    Dan's got some points. John's prototype for the High Power was, like many of his unfinished prototypes, pretty weird. If he was the one that came up with that particular trigger mechanism, I can only chalk it up to aging senility: the trigger contains a bar which rises to push upward on the front end of a pivoting bar in the slide, the back end of which pivots back down to depress the sear located in the back of the frame. Basically, it's a system where slide-to-frame fit can determine quality/consistency of the trigger pull.

The magazine disconnect is similarly goofy. The trigger contains a plunger which gets pressed forward by the front face of the magazine, rotating the bar that presses the pivot in the slide into engagement. Like pretty much all non-1911's the H.P.'s trigger pivots up and back when pressed rearward, this plunger sliding along the face of the magazine when this happens. EVERY MAGAZINE you insert can change your trigger pull.

Kind of a pity, really. The gun looks great and feels great, but mechanically, it's not nearly the gun the 1911 is. I figure FN did OK. . .they drank the bong water on the H.P., but they hit a home run in tweaking the BAR into the MAG-58/M240, and in engineering the QCB version of the M2. Too bad we don't get to play with those much. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Back in the day I had a "High Power". Shot well, never Jammed and hit what you aimed at. Would have another. The new 9mm ammo works for me. :worthy: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member

I'm quite sure "Travis P." has nothing to do with Guns & Ammo magazine or the Off The Grid News site. The "Guns & Ammo" link at the start of his Hi-Power article refers to a section in the Off The Grid News newsletter and website.
    Well, that explains that. Still, as much as I love the old guns, I know there's an entire generation of shooters and soon to be writers who have only fired polymer pistols.