Couple of Interesting Trail Cam Pics

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior MemberPosts: 714 Senior Member
We collected these from one of the trail cams on our hunting property the weekend of July 4th...#2 was quite a surprise...

Bear1_zps354940e6.jpg

Moose1_zpsce2eff39.jpg

Bear2_zps3d404692.jpg

From North East Washington State. Bear are getting a little too thick, we will be hunting them this year...

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Yeah, I hate you. I'd love to have property with those critters running around on it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »

Moose1_zpsce2eff39.jpg

If it wasn't for the antler knob, I would say it's time to load up some silver bullets and go on a werewolf hunt.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    The wolves are eyeing that moose already...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    From North East Washington State. Bear are getting a little too thick, we will be hunting them this year...

That looks awfully close to Newport.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Colville/Kettle Falls....We know there are moose there in the general area, but haven't seen them, or sign of them before this...this is on top of a mountain too, odd habitat for a moose i thought.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Colville/Kettle Falls....We know there are moose there in the general area, but haven't seen them, or sign of them before this...this is on top of a mountain too, odd habitat for a moose i thought.

I'm roughly 60 miles east of Colville, and I've seen moose at the tops of mountains, swimming in lakes, grazing in alfalfa pastures, and eating the apples from my trees. They are everywhere up here. I'm surprised you haven't seen one sooner.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Are you keeping the Bigfoot pictures from us
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    We collected these from one of the trail cams on our hunting property the weekend of July 4th...#2 was quite a surprise...

Bear1_zps354940e6.jpg

Moose1_zpsce2eff39.jpg

Bear2_zps3d404692.jpg

Nice, very nice. How is bear for eating? I keep asking this question and get a variety of answers. Does it have a strong flavor? Is it greasy? I hear different opinions of it. I imagine like other animals, the younger ones would be better table fare.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    snake, "whar I growed up" bear was eaten along and along, but it was far from a staple in the wild meat department. I never cared for it and wouldn't eat it and, it was never served at home. HOWEVER.....back in early January when I went up home to get a truckload of corn for my grits & cornmeal project I was served bear meat stew for lunch, and I'll tell you the God's truth.....I think it was the best red meat that I've ever eaten! My friend who grows corn for me had shot a 250-300lb young male 3 days before and had cooked it according to an old family recipe. I don't know how to describe the flavor, but it was awesome!
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    the bear around here I have eaten in sausage, pepperoni, and stew, but that's it, I thought it was really good. In the first two it was cut with other meats though...I haven't had bear steak...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    I had a North Carolina black bear roast done on a grill while BBQing some venison and wild hog. It was right tasty. I'd imagine that if it was greasy, cooking it on the grill allowed the fat to render off.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Thanks for the input guys. I think Weatherby said he eats it. But I've heard some bad comments on it too. But it's impossible for everyone to like one thing, not even good steak.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Honestly? I think it's kind of like a lot of other game meat: depends on what it's been eating, who cleaned it, how it's been cleaned, what was done after cleaning, etc....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Well I wouldn't think it's too bad, there's too many bear hunters.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Way cool--Happy Hunting this fall!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Bear2_zps3d404692.jpg

BTW, where's Goldie Locks?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    BTW, where's Goldie Locks?

Back down the trail in a pile of bear poop...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

And Papa bear said she was j...u...s...t right
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

And it had one of WMG's footprints in it!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    :roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    And Papa bear said she was j...u...s...t right

papa bear

MDGC0008.jpg

Mama going to my house

photobucket-16400-1372520467895_zps4f35aaed.jpg
    Hey Weatherby, give me YOUR thoughts on the table quality of bear meat. How do you rate it and how do you like it prepared?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    I like it a little less than deer. My buddy likes it a lot more than deer.
    I take off as much fat as possible. I do think it is important and slow cook.
    Steaks I eat less cooked than recommended.
    I think the 130-250lb range are better eating but it's not like I've been told hogs get like
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I like it a little less than deer. My buddy likes it a lot more than deer.
    I take off as much fat as possible. I do think it is important and slow cook.
    Steaks I eat less cooked than recommended.
    I think the 130-250lb range are better eating but it's not like I've been told hogs get like

Thanks for the info. Yeah Boar Hogs can be downright rank sometimes, when they get big. Not always but I'd say 70% I've tried to eat that were over 250-300 pounds can really be strong, at least in my experience. With hogs I prefer a nice sow about 80-100 pounds. I killed one like that many years back that was as good eating as a market hog.
  • wookiewookie Member Posts: 128 Member
    I make meat out of spring bear. The fall bear get sausage made from it. To me the fall bear is gamey. The spring bear just coming out of hibernation is almost sweet and very tender.