Home Main Category Personal Defense

Need ideas for an elderly disabled gentleman.

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
I've got a good one for you guys. Have a 74 year old who wants to be able to use his shotgun for home protection. He has a few pistols and revolvers but feels best with a shotgun. He purchased a Hawk Model 982 online based off reviews. It is a heavy shotgun, but feels fairly solid.

His disability is that he lost most of his left bicep in an accident. This makes it hard for him to curl his left arm upwards. He has no problem straightening that arm though.

I was thinking of some sort of sling that would work to take weight off his right arm while the gun is shouldered. He is able to operate the action by straightening his left arm out, and pointing the gun down and pushing then pulling the receiver.

He is in good shape save his left bicep. He is determined to use this shotgun, which actually looks decent for being Chinese made, other than being a little on the heavy side. The shotgun has a 18" barrel, with a normal synthetic stock.

Any ideas or experience guys?
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,395 Senior Member
    Maybe something like the old BAR sling that comes over the top of his right shoulder?
    Otherwise, I got nuttin' :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    First of all, kudos to the guy wanting to take care of himself and to work for that goal!

I'm partially disabled due to severe arthritis. One thing I would have a great deal of trouble with would be my shotgun. I've got a nice Mossberg 590 w. short stock and all, pure home defense stuff, but I'd still have problems racking it and even pointing it fast enough for safety. Therefore I rely on my Springfield XDs for protection.

I'd try my best to persuade the guy to not rely on that shotgun. Any sort of shoulder rig or harness might work but only if he's all tricked out and ready. At 3am when he's just relaxing and watching TV, there's not a lot of time for him to use a special rig. We're all dependent on our instincts to some degree and any sort of artificial harness or sling would require a great deal of practice before it felt "natural."

Any sort of special or unique preparation before self defense is something that's easily forgotten or simply gotten wrong in the rush of a genuine scenario. For just one small example, even if you wear glasses most of the time, you need to practice close range self defense shooting without those glasses, because you just might not have them when it hits the fan. So any type of rig or harness or sling? I'd try to get the guy to just shoot his handguns.

That being said, if the guy is insistent, then yes, some sort of sling or shoulder rig sounds just right. Is there a way to use, maybe, one of those nylon and velcro shoulder holster rigs like you can get from Uncle Mikes, inexpensive and easy to modify? Reason I'm saying this is that leather is heavy and hot and hard to work, especially if it's an old rig with the leather dry. A nylon / velcro shoulder holster rig, the type that has all these various straps and adjustments, you could buy 2 of them and use the parts. Another good source for that type of holster is American Shooting Systems. They've got this integrated system with common straps and braces and then the actual holster fits inside, so they've got individual "spare parts" that could easily be adapted to the purpose.

Keep us posted on progress.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Sam your comments are spot on, I also would not recommend a shotgun as a primary defensive arm for someone with physical challenges, besides people will often tire of toting a shotgun and leave it propped somewhere, then what do you say to that rabid varmint you meet while throwing out the garbage, let Me fetch My shotgun ?
    Make it too complicated and the whole rig will sit quietly propped up & ignored to gather dust, a holstered handgun is a better idea, use the shotgun as backup.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Once the shotgun is mounted to the shoulder I can't think of any sling mechanism that will take the weight off the forearm. Plenty of slings out there for supporting a rifle or shotgun at or about hip level, but none for what you are needing.

Have you and he considered that he mount the shotgun on the left shoulder and shoot left handed? That would take the weight off the injured arm and place the strong arm in the support position.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    We did discuss firing from the hip, which he said he was comfortable with at HD ranges. I tried my best to give this guy all the pros and cons, and he said he feels safest with this shotgun. I admire his willingness to adapt and overcome. If I have half his determination at that age, I'll be in good shape.
    Thanks for the input guys, looks like I've got some more thinking to do!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,674 Senior Member
    Remington 1100 or 11-87...problem solved...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I've got a good one for you guys. Have a 74 year old who wants to be able to use his shotgun for home protection. He has a few pistols and revolvers but feels best with a shotgun. He purchased a Hawk Model 982 online based off reviews. It is a heavy shotgun, but feels fairly solid.

His disability is that he lost most of his left bicep in an accident. This makes it hard for him to curl his left arm upwards. He has no problem straightening that arm though.

I was thinking of some sort of sling that would work to take weight off his right arm while the gun is shouldered. He is able to operate the action by straightening his left arm out, and pointing the gun down and pushing then pulling the receiver.

He is in good shape save his left bicep. He is determined to use this shotgun, which actually looks decent for being Chinese made, other than being a little on the heavy side. The shotgun has a 18" barrel, with a normal synthetic stock.

Any ideas or experience guys?

Tell him to get a Judge!!!!!

Oh I so wish I hadn't said that.............................
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Rather than dick with a bastardized sling set up, teach him to shoot a pistol one handed.
    :agree:

Guys in there 70's can shoot one handed, I shot a .327 that way today.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Tell him to get a Judge!!!!!

Oh I so wish I hadn't said that.............................

Oh great, the ".270" of the handgun world. :jester:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Interesting article in the new G&A about the 22mag revolver by S&W.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
    .22 Magnum ? Pffffffttttt, the ammo is quite dear / expensive....
    If or when I end stoved up, **** etc, My choice would be a S&W M-25 with a 6 inch barrel, hi viz sights, (.45 Colt)

My other choice would be some type of short AR-15 with a laser and other special features or mods I might need.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I'll have to check and see what is available for that gun.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Do try and remember he is 74 not 24 ? Why a hard kicking shotgun anyway, in his condition, how could he manage ? He is much better off with a pistol caliber carbine or an AR of some sort, most likely he will tire of dragging around any sort of long arm soon enough anyway, anything more than a handgun easy to carry in a holster will find a resting place in some dark closet.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Do try and remember he is 74 not 24 ?

Other than his left bicep, he is in great shape and has no problem shooting the shotgun other than being able to make a followup shot readily available.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Then why not something much lighter with much less recoil, easy to shoot accurately with one hand, a Glock 17 for instance ? easy to shoot, easy to conceal, no real recoil or noise to speak of, plenty of follow up shots without re-loading, heck, add a laser, what could be sweeter ?
    Why make the man deaf too ?????

Why set him up to fail ? I give him 2 -3 weeks before that shotgun is gathering lint & dust in some dark musty closet.