Home Main Category General Firearms

Rebarreling: cost?

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,484 Senior Member
    Since you reload and are looking for the possibility of a crossover chambering that would work well in a comp (assuming 600-1K???), or even in a short range match.
    6BR, 6mm Dasher, 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua (6x47 Lapua), and the Long Dasher (6x47 Lapua Improved). I already mentioned the 6XC
    the 6 Dasher and close variants (6mm in general) are the most popular @ 600 & 1K BR matches, and hold the most records.
    The Dasher has the reputation of being one of the most easiest to tune.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Thread resurrection!

Did you ever do this?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    I realize I'm late to the party, but?

I would agree to the re-barrel.

You can probably re-barrel the rifle for less than or very close to what it would cost to replace it.

Be advised that the 6.5 Creedmoor isn't going to be any cheaper to feed than the 22-250.

To my knowledge only 2 firms produce loaded 6.5 CM ammo, or brass, Hornady and Nosler. Of the two Hornady offers a larger selection but it is limited at best. I would suggest with 1-8 twist rate barrel, if you want to hot the heavier projectiles 140 grain and such.

One can make 6.5 CM brass from 22-250 brass w/o too much fuss.

For the 260 Remington to have any advantage over the 6.5CM (velocity wise) an A.I. version would be necessary.

Super caliber, that I have been lusting after myself, but not a money saver.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: