Home Main Category General Firearms

So... What's wrong with a .270?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,966 Senior Member
So edumacate the clueless - I see a lot of teasing about the undesirability of the .270 round. Other than that its somewhere between my 22LR and a .303 British, I don't know a darn thing about it. According to Wikipedia, it was originally derived from the .30-03 - which doesn't tell me a whole hell of a lot either. I'm mostly familiar with the .303 British and .30-06 in rifle rounds.

Is it just that its considered a wimpy .300 Win?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
«1345

Replies

  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    It is just a 30/06 necked down from .308 to .277. It is a good cartridge, we just pick on it to pick on it. It irritates Snake, and irritating Snake is fun.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's a fine coyote round and perfect for women, children and the infirm. :cool2:

    :agree::agree:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Zorba-- Back in the day, two legendary gun writers had a rivalry going on. Their names were Elmer Keith, and Jack O'Connor. Keith was way into overkill. He basically developed the 44 mag. Keith had a lot to do with the .338's. Actually, Craig Boddington does a good job of explaining it...
    http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/play-no-33
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's a fine coyote round and perfect for women, children and the infirm. :cool2:

    _21477BPLooney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    It is just a 30/06 necked down from .308 to .277. It is a good cartridge, we just pick on it to pick on it. It irritates Snake, and irritating Snake is fun.

    You! Corner! Now!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Hey now! My first rifle? .338 Win mag!!! I am a Keith man all the way. I got a wife and 3 daughters. They need to shoot something.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    You guys crack me up - thanx for the article link, Jerm. I'm always up for learning something new! Ballistics science isn't simple...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    If you are unfamiliar with rifle cartridges, a good reloading book (Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, etc.) will have a description of each cartridge, loading data, and basic ballistics. It will give you a good idea of what they can and can't do. Most cartridges based on the 30/06 have been excellent. Here are some of them from smallest bullet to biggest...
    .25/06
    6.5/06
    6.8/06, .277/06, or .270 Winchester
    .280, 7mm/06
    30/06
    .338/06
    .35 Whelen

    There are many more, all but that pesky .270 have had plenty of power in their individual bullet class.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Humph......proper people don't discuss such things.....unless they're behind closed doors.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You! Corner! Now!!!!
    Oh, and Zorba wears skirts so the .270 may very well be a good choice for him.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    So edumacate the clueless - I see a lot of teasing about the undesirability of the .270 round. Other than that its somewhere between my 22LR and a .303 British, I don't know a darn thing about it. According to Wikipedia, it was originally derived from the .30-03 - which doesn't tell me a whole hell of a lot either. I'm mostly familiar with the .303 British and .30-06 in rifle rounds.

    Is it just that its considered a wimpy .300 Win?

    We pick on the 270 O'Conner..............and the 327...and Savage.....because we can....if not for good old Jack,,,,the 270 would have died a fast death......nothing special about it........and it's fun to put burrs under saddles sometimes.........the 270 is at it's best went chambered in a Savagee....topped with a Muller scope.....loaded with A-Max bullets....and shot by a 12 year old girly girl.....at a sickly coyote.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh, and Zorba wears skirts so the .270 may very well be a good choice for him.
    Yea, yea! I was waiting for someone to come up with that. At least you didn't call it a dress. Seriously, thanx for the info - I think I'll follow your suggestion re: a loading manual. Should be edumacational.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Yea, yea! I was waiting for someone to come up with that. At least you didn't call it a dress. Seriously, thanx for the info - I think I'll follow your suggestion re: a loading manual. Should be edumacational.
    I have spent many of evenings reading those cartridge descriptions. Cartridges of the World is THE one to get for info. The other ones are better if you are interested in reloading.
    Cartridges of the World...
    http://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-Complete-Illustrated-Reference/dp/1440230595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377494769&sr=8-1&keywords=cartridges+of+the+world
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh, and Zorba wears skirts so the .270 may very well be a good choice for him.

    This.............maybe true. But, does he also like Cheetos?

    ;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Like I said before........a .270 is a .30'06 on Slimfast. It's just a skinnier bullet that shoots a flatter trajectory but gives up mass for speed. It was touted as "softer recoiling"......hence the ninny-ribbing.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    .270 suffers from it's popularity. Every manufacturer of a low to medium price point automatically makes a gazillion in 30-06 and 270 in the long action and 308 and 243 in the short.
    Then Remington whines about the low sales figures for 260 Rem. 280 Rem etc. (rifles and ammo) When their only offerings are in the high end rifles.

    Every hunting camp will sport a 270. Most families too.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    This.............maybe true. But, does he also like Cheetos?

    ;-)

    I don't know about Zorba, but it should be obvious that O'Connor loved 'em...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 270......................

    Felicesmummodel70047.jpg

    Felicesmummodel70049.jpg

    pre64model70060.jpg

    pre64model70037.jpg


    ...............that rechambering and a new barrel in 30.06, 308 or 7mm08 wouldn't fix....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I have both a 270 and 06. I prefer the 270 for deer because it is more accurate and shoots like a dream.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    So edumacate the clueless - I see a lot of teasing about the undesirability of the .270 round.
    The ribbing came about because there were many threads where a poster or two were touting that the 270 was better than anything else and no cartridge was its equal, backing the statement with great vehemence and volume. So much so that many started to poke fun at it just to watch the fur fly. Although the 270 backers have eased off, the cartridge is still considered as barely adequate for field mice.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Although the 270 backers have eased off, the cartridge is still considered as barely adequate for field mice.

    Interesting you say that... perhaps that is why I never even considered the 270 when finding my son a firearm to deal with that mouse. Perhaps subconsiously I was afraid he might wound the creature and it die a horrid death if he didn't place his shot well.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    All a man needs is a .270 and .410 :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    All a man needs is a .270 and .410 and nail polish :tooth:
    FIFY
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    For most of its existence the .270 was the rifle for those who only shot factory ammunition; good quality .270 bullets were not all that common nor available in different weights and bullet styles. Bullet selection is much better now for the .270 now, but still not anything like the selection available in .308 diameter.

    The .30-06 was and still is a service rifle cartridge for target shooting. You could go mad trying out all the different bullet offerings for it. It has always been a popular cartridge for reloading due to bullet selection and huge amounts of load data. It has always been a popular cartridge with reloaders due to that. And the fact that there were HUGE amounts of surplus rifles and ammunition for it after WWII right up to now.

    If the .270 had instead been born a 7mm, it would have a lot bigger following, but 7mm was a European bullet diameter, and at the time European bullet diameters weren't done on this side of the pond.

    From a recoil standpoint, I've never been able to feel much difference between a Rem. 700 in .270 firing 135 grain bullets and a Rem. 700 in .30-06 firing 150 grain bullets. It's all that F=M x V thing.

    And it's entertaining to throw firebombs at the .270 just to get the .270 people cranked up. :tooth:

    Anyway, I've got several rifles in .30-06 and about 10,000 Lake City '06 once fired cases. I have no rifles in .270 and don't want one, either.

    And I still think the .270 is a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe. Undersized fruit, as it were. :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I have spent many of evenings reading those cartridge descriptions. Cartridges of the World is THE one to get for info. The other ones are better if you are interested in reloading.
    Cartridges of the World...
    http://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-Complete-Illustrated-Reference/dp/1440230595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377494769&sr=8-1&keywords=cartridges+of+the+world
    Its available on Kindle, what's not to like? Ordered.
    Zee wrote: »
    This.............maybe true. But, does he also like Cheetos?

    ;-)
    Meh, they're "ok" - but nothing to write home about...
    Big Chief wrote: »
    All a man needs is a .270 and .410 :tooth:
    Whew! Makes me glad I gots a 20 Ga! And plenty of nail polish!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The only .270 round I've ever fired was through an old WWI Eddystone .30-06 (not recommended). It was considerably less accurate than the WWII surplus tracer rounds that it had gotten mixed in with, so I've always preferred .30-06. I guess, to be fair, I really should fire a round sometime through a rifle that the bullet could actually make contact with the rifling, but .270 has just never turned me on enough to bother.

    I guess, when it comes right down to it, the .270 exists so forum posters can determine whether their fellow posters liked Keith or O'Conner the best. :tooth:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,863 Senior Member
    I've never been a .270 baiter, never fired one, had an Encore in that caliber I never shot. From all I've read, it's a fine round. The detractors are tongue in cheek. On this board, it's a "thing" like asking if you like gladiator movies.

    I think its drop off in popularity (if it has dropped off) is because there are so many new rounds around. The .270 is an old cartridge by modern standards. So is the 06, but there are so many of them around, it's still a popular cartridge.

    And I have not been in a Turkish prison.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SnaketailSnaketail Member Posts: 33 Member
    My grandmother had one!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Snaketail wrote: »
    My grandmother had one!

    That......was funny.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    This of it as a 25-06 or 6.5-06 on steroids.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement