Home Main Category Hunting

View from my Mom's porch.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,466 Senior Member
Last week.

IMG_3092.jpg

This is a younger 10 point that hangs at the house.

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

The doe and her twins come by every evening. She is 12 years old and has twins every year my mom can remember.

IMG_3105.jpg

..........and is quite fond of apple slices.

IMG_3111.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Do you guys have a knife season? :rotflmao:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    "walks with the animals, talks to the animals....":jester:
    Nice Buck.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Not next year by the looks of her.....I can count every bone
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Not next year by the looks of her.....I can count every bone

That's my mom's concern as well. That this is her last year. My kids have hand fed her as well.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    By what you posted she's lived a long life already.....Good matriarch
    cpj wrote: »
    That bucks a DDW. Sayin'

Eventually, yes. But, ranch rules dictate he grows up more.
    Has your mom had deer for pets besides this one before?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yes. Though, this one isn't really a pet. She just got use to being fed and comes and goes at will as the others did as well.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Eventually, yes. But, ranch rules dictate he grows up more.

:head: Ok. . .I got out of Cali last fall to try out Colorado. I saw a ton of deer (all on private &%$ing land of course) that would put that buck to shame, so I understand he's not Deerzilla. . .

. . .HOWEVER. . .

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the notion of a place where your pictured deer is an un-shootable runt.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Some private landowners and or outfitting groups for specific areas will not let you shoot just any buck.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Some private landowners and or outfitting groups for specific areas will not let you shoot just any buck.

What he said.

Private ranch with a breeding program and trophy age/size restrictions resulting in monster buck for lots of dough.

Not something I could afford or even desire to do. Besides, my mom darn near has all the big bucks and exotics eating out of her hand. Or at least her yard. Which, is off limits to hunters and the animals know it. What's the fun in that? Trophy kudu anyone? Sit on her porch and watch them.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Cool pics. Thanks for posting those up, I love seeing pics of different types of game.

Does your Mom grow rocks as a crop..............or are they just the ones she threw at you as a kid ?........................:wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ah ha, Cactus Shooter, I see the Cati you grew up playing in now :tooth::guns::guns:

Nice pics! Thanx.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That bucks a DDW. Sayin'

I'll bite.. DDW? Digestive Disease week? Delicious deer walking? Dead deer walking?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    That's my mom's concern as well. That this is her last year. My kids have hand fed her as well.

I was just reading that their average lifespan in the wild is 9 to 11 years.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I was just reading that their average lifespan in the wild is 9 to 11 years.

D

Yeah, she's on borrowed time. She is a breeder doe and up until recently, had a tag in her ear. That is how they know her age. The ranch has had her 12 years. Must be the apple slices. :tooth:
    orchidman wrote: »
    Cool pics. Thanks for posting those up, I love seeing pics of different types of game.

Does your Mom grow rocks as a crop..............or are they just the ones she threw at you as a kid ?........................:wink:

Fortunately, I didn't grow up there.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    Get out the video camera and lasso one:whip2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Yeah, she's on borrowed time. She is a breeder doe and up until recently, had a tag in her ear. That is how they know her age. The ranch has had her 12 years. Must be the apple slices. :tooth:

Nice....Still threw a healthy pair of fawns by all appearances...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Ranch or not, that's still cool. That buck is beautiful, so dark. Never see them that dark here.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    This young doe followed my son out of the woods and right onto his back porch one evening. No apples necessary. We suspect that the nutcase neighbor up the hill who keeps a corn feeder stocked year-round has been trying to tame a few of them. No, Doug didn't shoot that one!

tame_doe_003.jpg

Jerry