This is how it is going to happen, WWIII

2»

Replies

• Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Looking at the military pay scale looks like just about any other private sector hierarchical organization. Grunts at the bottom make crap. Officers (management) start at ok salaries and go up to fairly comfortable middle class or even upper middle class levels. Enlisted men stuck with a glass ceiling stuck at an ok, but not great level of pay even at the top levels. Was similar to my first job. Skilled technicians with no education but lots of experience topped out in the $50k range. Engineers with a degree and no experience started at a similar level but went up into the $100k+ range by mid/late career.

Still remember that first pay as a E-1... 350 bucks!! For a seventeen year old kid I thought I had hit the lottery. Was more money than I had ever seen. Also, being able to legally buy my first beer was cool too.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    There are other similarities to private employment in the military. An Air Force Colonel, a Major, a Captain, and a Chief Master Sergeant were discussing sex. The Colonel expressed the opinion that sex with his wife was 90% pleasure, and 10% work. The Major put the percentage at 50/50 work/pleasure, and the Captain chimed in with a 40% pleasure, 60% work guesstimate. The Chief nailed it- - - -"It's gotta be 100% pleasure- - - -if there was any work involved you guys would have me doing it for you!"
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,181 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    There are other similarities to private employment in the military. An Air Force Colonel, a Major, a Captain, and a Chief Master Sergeant were discussing sex. The Colonel expressed the opinion that sex with his wife was 90% pleasure, and 10% work. The Major put the percentage at 50/50 work/pleasure, and the Captain chimed in with a 40% pleasure, 60% work guesstimate. The Chief nailed it- - - -"It's gotta be 100% pleasure- - - -if there was any work involved you guys would have me doing it for you!"
    Jerry

:rotflmao: There's way too much truth in that, especially the last part.

In the Navy the Chief Petty Officers (E-7 and E-8) ran the divisions, and the officers took the credit. One SURE way for an officer to get a bad fitness report was to piss off the Chief of the division in a big way. Since the days of wooden sailing ships and iron men, the word comes down from Poseidon to the Chiefs, and they spread the word to the lower enlisted ranks and the officers. For an officer to meddle in this organizational flow, or to try to run their division, is to incur the wrath of Poseidon. And woe be unto the Captain of the ship that honks off most or all of the Chiefs; the ship will not excel in battle readiness.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    BigSlug...Yes I know, it is Ottoman. However, given the way the empire ran, the Syrian and Iraq sections of the empire were set loose to run on their own with little wealth or benefit ...Automan
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    "The Chinese now have a navy with a carrier. A Nvay with a carrier has force projection."
    That they paid for withInterest from our debt that they own.

ALAS BABYLON.