Obscure or little-known movies that you'd recommend?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
We had a couple of movies mentioned recently, one good, one not, in the eyes of the poster. So I thought I'd revisit an old thread and ask about your recommendations for older (maybe newer) movies that are somewhat unknown but deserve a rental. When you do list the movie, be sure to say something about what makes this movie worth watching, what it's about.

And yes, if you want to start a different thread listing well known movies like "Star Wars" or "The Shootist" please feel free, but try to limit this thread to the more obscure movie that might have been overlooked. Some of my recommendations:

"Miracle Mile", maybe a bit dated but still a fascinating thriller about an impending nuclear attack on LA and how a group of ordinary people prepare, as the panic escalates.

The "Pusher" trilogy, 3 modern Danish films about a major drug dealer "Milo" and his adventures. There are 3 sequential films, very violent and dark, but very well done and fascinating. Rule #1: Don't get Milo ticked off at you! (subtitled)

"Flame & Citron" (or Flammen and Citronen), a new Danish film about a pair of cold-hearted underground assassins during the Nazi occupation. These 2 men, code name Flame and Citron, ruthlessly murder Nazi leaders and sympathizers in Copenhagen. Very violent but not really a "smash-em" type movie. suspenseful. (subtitled)

"The Lathe of Heaven" 1979, a modern SF film based on the classic novel by Ursula LeGuin. Make sure you get this version -- a later TV version sucks. This version stars Bruce Davision and Kevin Conway. Le Guin, her husband, and others worked hard to make this 79 movie an accurate depiction of her book, and there are some very chilling sequences that show you how a low budget can be overcome -- the "plague" sequence is nightmarish. It's about how things would be if someone (named George Orr) could modify reality by his dreams and the drastic consequences.

"The Ninth Gate" a modern supernatural thriller featuring Johnny Depp who's asked to search for a rare mystic book by occult collector Frank Langella. Movie is directed by Roman Polanski. Depp plays this role straight, not much theatrics, so you may like him here. He travels all over Europe and is pursued by murderers.

"Blood Simple" the first movie by the Cohen Brothers and set in Austin and surrounding area. This movie is more well known than the others listed here but it's often overlooked. This is a brilliant, personalized murder thriller with great acting and some very tense scenes.

My list for now, I might add a couple more later. And you?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,025 Senior Member
    I watched one last night on Net Flix steaming called " The Way Back". It's based on a true story about a small group of prisoners that escape from a Russian prison camp in Siberia in 1940. They walk 4000 miles to India for freedom. Ed Harris is in it.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    Predator.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,749 Senior Member
    A couple of foreign movies I'd suggest are:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

"Rare Exports": A Christmas Tale
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,133 Senior Member
    Smilla's Sense of Snow if you like cold movies.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    Bubba Ho-Tep.

Fandango
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I enjoyed "In Bruges". I thought it was very entertaining.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Bang the Drum Slowly ... early DeNiro. It's kinda the Brian's Song of baseball.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 702 Senior Member
    Boy, a film by Taika Waititi, NZ film at its best.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,104 Senior Member
    The "Ninth Gate" is a good movie...saw it a few times.

An offbeat movie I would recommend is called "Brazil" (1985). It's about a society set in a retro-styled future, where a nightmarish bureaucratic government is trying to fight terrorism....kind of what we have today.
    Stars: Jonathan Pryce, Kim Greist and Robert De Niro

For a full synopsis, check this link: http://www.oilempire.us/brazil.html
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,749 Senior Member
    Feast

Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds

Feast 3: The Happy Finish

The Groove Tube

The Undertaker and His Pals

Teeth
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Now I do know of "Predator", a very classic SF/suspense film with Arnie, big budget, fairly good studio hit, and yes, an excellent movie, got good reviews and made lotsa money. You're obviously thinking of another movie the same name that's, as I asked in this thread, obsure and little-known. Was this an earlier version or did it just happen to have the same name as the boxoffice hit "Predator". Because I'm always looking of little-known but good movies.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    olesniper wrote: »
    Feast

Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds

Feast 3: The Happy Finish

The Groove Tube

The Undertaker and His Pals

Teeth

Thanks! Some of these "satire horror" movies are real treats and it's always good to find a couple of them -- I did ask for a bit of explanation but from the titles I can guess they're "spoof" horror flicks, yes?

Eli wrote: »
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373469/

Formula 51.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227984/

Faster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433108/

Sinners and Saints. (the absolute best gunfighting movie that I've ever seen)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130969/

In Bruges.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

Have seen In Bruges and yes it's a good movie. Thanks. Nice if you told a bit about each movie, though.

Make my, "Brazil" is a sort of underground classic done by a couple of the old Monty Python people, and yes, it's pretty amazing. Someone recently wanted to tack a "Hollywood" happy ending on the movie and got shouted down.

bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Bubba Ho-Tep.

Fandango

Of all the movies where Elvis and JFK team up to defeat an evil Egyptian zombie, Bubba Ho-Tep is the best by far. Bruce Campbell, who can do no wrong, also does the best Elvis impersonation ever. The movie was made by Don Coscarelli from the old "Phantasm" fame. Great flick!

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    Predator is old. How about run silent run deep.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    If you like comedy and Bruce Lee you must see "Finishing The Game" and also "Balls of Fury".

Not for kids at all is "The Poker House" co-written and directed by actress Lori Petty and based on her life.

If you are into female samurai warriors you must see Azumi, there's Azumi 2 which hopefully is as good as the first one.

Have not seen it but the trailers of The Raid are quite promising, shot in Indonesia.

http://youtu.be/V7B__KkLCLM

I have mentioned these before, lots of subtitles, most are NOT intended for children, just a reminder...

Old Boy (Korea)
    Audition (Japan)
    Sword of Doom (Japan)
    Battle Royale (Japan)
    Liquid Sky (US)
    Mon oncle d'Amérique (France)
    Wages of Fear (France)
    Irreversible (France-very strong content)
    Malena (Italy-Monica Bellucci!!!)
    Brotherhood of the Wolf (?)
    Sexy Beast (England)
    Knife in the Water (Poland?)
    The Burglars (France)
    Damaged (England)
    1984 (US)
    Scandal (England)
    Straw Dogs (US the original one with Dustin Hoffman)
    Slaughterhouse Five (US)
    Fitzcaraldo (German)try to get the documentary made by the director's wife as well)
    Diva (France)
    Betty Blue (France)
    The 4th Man (Holland)
    The Draughtsman's Contract (?)
    Wings of Desire (German)
    Night Watch + Daywatch (Russian)
    Taxi Blues (Russian)
    A Window to Paris (Russian)
    The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (France)
    Delicatessen (France)
    The City of Lost Children (France)
    Amelie (France)
    Very Bad Things (England)
    Walkabout (Australia)
    Pauline at the Beach, Claire's Knee and My Night at Maud's (French)
    The Last Wave (Australian))
    Rabbit Proof Fence (England)
    The Proposition (Australia)
    The Darjeeling Limited (US)
    The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (Australian)
    Galipoli (Australia)
    Breaker Morant (Australia)
    Paris, Texas
    The Bride Wore Black, The 400 Blows, Small Change (France)
    La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, Amacord..(Italy, some of Fellini's best)
    Rocco and his Brothers (Italy)
    Leningrad Cowboys
    High and Low, Ran, Kagemucha, Rashomon...(Japan- all Kurosawa's films, must see all his work!)
    Samurai I, Samurai II and Samurai III (Japan)
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (US)
    PI, Requiem for a Dream (US)
    Trainspotting (England)
    Shaun of the Dead (England)
    The Last Supper (US)
    Pan's Labyrinth (Spain)
    Todo Sobre Mi Madre, Matador, Live Flesh (Spain- All by Pedro Almodovar)
    Cell 211 (Spain)
    Thesis (Spain)
    Across the Universe (US-for die hard Beatles fans)
    Amores Perros (Mexico) Watch short included in DVD "Me la Debes"
    Babel (US)
    21 Grams (US)
    Like Water for Chocolate (Mexico)
    Doña Flor and her two Hubands (Brazil)
    Pixote (Brazil)
    Jamon, Jamon (Spain)
    The Sea Inside (Spain)
    Jesus of Montreal (Canada)
    Everything is Illuminated (US)

Please someone stop me!

Can't help myself, some "classics" thrown in for measure.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    The Last Man on Earth - (Vincent Price, 1964)
    Scientist Robert Morgan is the sole survivor of a planet-wide plague that has turned the rest of humankind into vampires. By day, he (Morgan) stalks and kills them, by night, they arise and surround his fortress........

This movie has been redone so many times (most recently, I Am Legend, Will Smith) but the original still stands out. Simple, Elegant and Creepy all rolled together!

Leon-The Professional - (Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman, Danny Aiello, 1994) - A Luc Besson film...a go-for-broke action thriller about a professional assassin whose work becomes dangerously personal. (Uncut Intern'l version)

What else can be said, this movie is one strange bird but worth watching.

The Devil's Rain - (Ernest Borgnine, Eddie Albert, Tom Skerritt, William Shatner, John Travolta, 1975)

A low budget classic about good versus evil pits Eddie Albert, Tom Skerritt and William Shatner against the Evil Corbis played by Ernest Borgnine with Anton S. Lavey as the Devil!

Done on a shoestring and it shows but still memorable and I seen bits and pieces of this movie in other horror movies as the characters in the newer horror movies watch this older horror movie. :rotflmao:

Race with the Devil - (Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Loretta Swit, Laura Parker - 1975)

How much fun can four people legally have in a Winnebago? Find out in this 1975 classic romp through Texas as they stir-up trouble with the local satanists who just can't seem to warm-up to the local tourists.

Anyway, good MadMaxx style roadrage goes on as those pesky satanists just don't seem to know when they're not wanted. Good Stuff!

That's it for now but I have lots more recommendations in all categories.
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Sunflower: (1970)
    At the end of World War II, Giovanna (Sophia Loren) , a war bride living near Milan refuses to accept that her husband, Antonio, missing on the Russian front, is dead. There's a flashback to their brief courtship near her hometown of Naples, his 12-day leave to marry her, ruses to keep from deployment, and the ultimate farewell. Some years after the war, still with no word from Antonio, Giovanna goes to Russia to find him, starting in the town near the winter battle when he disappeared,with only his photograph.

Frankenstein Unbound (1990) nice twist to the old story.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Buford wrote: »
    Predator is old. How about run silent run deep.

Well, the only Run Silent Run Deep isn't obscure or little-known. The one that I know of has Clark Gable and an all-star cast, is regarded one of the best submarine movies ever, and is a very famous movie.

I asked specifically about obscure or little-known movies, which neither Predator or Run Silent Run Deep fit. And by the way, Predator is newer of the two. But this assumes I'm talking about the two well-known movies, not the obscure or little-known ones you're talking about.

So tell me a bit about the little-known and obscure movies "Predator" or "Run Silent Run Deep"? I already know about the more famous ones.

Wow, bruchi, a very long list indeed, most are excellent -- I've seen about 2/3 of them and can recommend most. I was hoping for a few favorites here, with a brief bruchi-written description of those few faves. Just for grins, cherrypick a handful and let fly with some good feedback. I'd like your feedback.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Moon 44

Kentucky Fried Movie

Amazon women from the moon

Rounders (made way before texas hold'em became popular)

Ready to rumble...(makes fun of pro-wrestling)
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    Spk wrote: »
    The Last Man on Earth
    Leon-The Professional
    The Devil's Rain
    Race with the Devil

The classic Richard Matheson book "I Am Legend" has been movie-fied several times but I don't think that the final kicker of the novel, that the vampires have essentially taken over, and the "last man" is the oddball, the strange one on display, has usually been missed.

"Leon" is a fun pic, Gary Oldman chewing scenery as he is wont to do, and of course Natalie Portman just beginning to look gorgeous. A great action movie, you're right.

Devils Rain and Race the Devil? Well, you have to see them as send-ups, almost spoofs on the horror genre, otherwise they're no fun. I do enjoy both pics now and then.

Amazon Women on the Moon is a treat, a fun watch.

Less farcical but equally oddball, try "True Stories", a spoof of a musical, directed and narrated by David Byrne and featuring several Talking Heads songs. I rather enjoy this movie. Off-beat for sure.

For the "scary off-beat", let me recommend David Cronenberg's "Crash", 1996, and be careful to get the right film because there are several films with this title and none of the other will make you go "eewwww!" and turn you on at the same time. Very strange movie, stars James Spader, the stunning Deborah Unger, Holly Hunter, Rosanna Arquette (all of whom have nude scenes). It's about people who are fetishized about car crashes and who undergo controlled crashes to become injured and then get off on their injuries and surgery. As I said, VERY strange and very adult movie but compelling, well done, and pretty unnerving. I like it. Sigh.

Speaking of Cronenberg (a fave director of mine), gamers especially might like his "Existenz" w. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law about 2 people trapped inside a weird virtual gaming universe.

• scottdscottd Member Posts: 87 Member
    Fortress, it is everything a campy B movie should be. The father from "That 70's Show" is the bad guy, that alone should tell you what to expect.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,659 Senior Member
    Recently watched "A boy and his dog" on netflix. Pretty strange post apocalyptic movie starting Don Johnson pre-Miami Vice and his talking dog who he uses to sniff out women. I'd say it was worth checking out.

I'm also a huge fan of cheesy Dolph Lundgren movies. There are dozens and more still being made it seems. One of my favorite recent ones was "Command Performance". Some classic kills with musical instruments in this one!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    "Boy and His Dog" from a short story by SF author Harlan Ellison, I think, is a darn good SF movie that doesn't pull a "Hollywood" ending.

Or to quote an old WC Fields skit, "She was might fine, with mustard"

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    Winter's Bone

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I watched one last night on Net Flix steaming called " The Way Back". It's based on a true story about a small group of prisoners that escape from a Russian prison camp in Siberia in 1940. They walk 4000 miles to India for freedom. Ed Harris is in it.

The book was entitled, "The Long Walk" and it was excellent.
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®