Home Main Category Personal Defense

Interesting map on self defense gun use

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
This is a map of the U.S. with interactive icons to see the use of firearms in defense of home, business, and property. It is by no means all inclusive, but does give a good showing of how firearms have been used to good effect against the bad guys.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201909809627841554931.0004a99a6ee3d077dae2d&ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&ll=37.579413,-96.416016&spn=27.745558,61.611328&z=4
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,160 Senior Member
    If you expand the map, it paints a different picture; actually a sparse one.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Kind of mirrors population density.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,930 Senior Member
    Not many around me.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Most of the SD uses are actually shootings. It doesn't cover firearm uses where no shots are fired, which is the vast majority of SD gun uses.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Most of the SD uses are actually shootings. It doesn't cover firearm uses where no shots are fired, which is the vast majority of SD gun uses.

:that: Many uses in SD end with no shots being fired. The map is only of shots fired.

Here's the website it is from. It has daily updates as they are reported to the site. There are most likely many other incidents not reported to the site or the police.

http://gunssavelives.net/

Here's an interactive map by state of incidents reported to the site. Same disclaimer of not being all inclusive as the above.

http://gunssavelives.net/browse-by-state/
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    NN wrote: »
    If you expand the map, it paints a different picture; actually a sparse one.

How often is the map updated? I know of several defensive uses in my area that are not indicated on the map.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    It seems to be a mix of old and new images. I just zoomed in on my house and just before the pic changes to a street-side shot, I see the backyard as it was. Street shot shows my Grand Cherokee which I got just a year ago.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!