Home Main Category Hunting

Anyone taken deer sized game with Sierra 120gr 7mm Pro Hunter bullets?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,070 Senior Member
If so, how "soft" would you say it is compared to say a 120 NBT?

They're roughly half the price of the NBTs, I have a couple of boxes of them, and I'm thinking about working up a load for them in my XP for sub 200 yard Alabama whitetails (Think 120# or less live weight)

IIRC Dan J. told me they were quite a bit tougher than the Noslers, but it's been long enough that I'm not 100% sure of that :uhm:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Sounds like time to find out.

    At the lower velocities of the XP, you stand less chance of blow up.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Based on what I remember the marshall telling me, I'm more concerning about them NOT expanding than I am them "blowing up"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    The "specialty pistols" forum is more likely going to have data for you, than most places.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    The "specialty pistols" forum is more likely going to have data for you, than most places.
    True, though I neither frequent one nor know where one is located :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums
    knitepoet wrote: »
    True, though I neither frequent one nor know where one is located :uhm:
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    If so, how "soft" would you say it is compared to say a 120 NBT?

    They're roughly half the price of the NBTs, I have a couple of boxes of them, and I'm thinking about working up a load for them in my XP for sub 200 yard Alabama whitetails (Think 120# or less live weight)

    IIRC Dan J. told me they were quite a bit tougher than the Noslers, but it's been long enough that I'm not 100% sure of that :uhm:

    Yep. I worked up a load for my 7mm08 with the Sierra Pro Hunter 120gr Spitzer using Varget.......specifically for Fallow deer.

    Here is the result on a sheep......................and a head shot on a fallow doe. http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?14583-Hunt-report

    After picking the best load I was getting just over 1" groups with them at 100yds. They are not as accurate as the 140gr psp load I use ( It gives me 1/2" groups)

    Without checking my reloading book I think from memory I used 45.5 gr of Varget which is .5 over max load. The load table says that 45gr will be doing about 3160fps.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Thank you sir:beer:
    orchidman wrote: »
    The load table says that 45gr will be doing about 3160fps.
    At that MV, it was roughly doing, on impact, what I can push the out the muzzle at.

    Were you pleased with the amount of internal damage?

    Would it have been satisfactory on something without 8" of matted wool?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    You have to register to read posts and to make posts.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Thank you sir:beer:

    At that MV, it was roughly doing, on impact, what I can push the out the muzzle at.

    Were you pleased with the amount of internal damage? Yep. The sheep dropped on the spot. There was extensive damage to the heart/lung area and judging by the exit hole the bullet expanded well.

    Would it have been satisfactory on something without 8" of matted wool? I think so. I will be hunting with the same round this weekend so might be able to give you more info if the hunting Gods are smiling down on me.
    .
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Based on what I remember the marshall telling me, I'm more concerning about them NOT expanding than I am them "blowing up"
    The only experience I can compare that particular bullet to is the 100 gr. ProHunter in .243 that I used on last year's mule deer hunt. In the case of that deer, I was impressed by the fact that 1) the bullet was giving me under .4" groups at 100 yards, 2) internal damage was significant, as there was a ton of lung matter on the mountain on the path the deer took as he rolled down, and 3) it did very little damage to the meat and pelt, making for a great hair-on tanned hide and very little bloodshot meat loss.

    As Dan J. alluded, these bullets do not open as rapidly or as violently as the GameKing or NBT. The entrance wound was about exactly the diameter of the bullet and the exit was about the size of a dime. However, the internal damage was beyond sufficient in my case.

    For reference, here is a pic of the bullet, entrance and exit wounds on the tanned hide. Note that the holes shrunk by about 25% after tanning:

    243ProHunteronmuledeerhide_zpse4ea0d8b.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    The only experience I can compare that particular bullet to is the 100 gr. ProHunter in .243 that I used on last year's mule deer hunt. In the case of that deer, I was impressed by the fact that 1) the bullet was giving me under .4" groups at 100 yards, 2) internal damage was significant, as there was a ton of lung matter on the mountain on the path the deer took as he rolled down, and 3) it did very little damage to the meat and pelt, making for a great hair-on tanned hide and very little bloodshot meat loss.

    As Dan J. alluded, these bullets do not open as rapidly or as violently as the GameKing or NBT. The entrance wound was about exactly the diameter of the bullet and the exit was about the size of a dime. However, the internal damage was beyond sufficient in my case.

    For reference, here is a pic of the bullet, entrance and exit wounds on the tanned hide. Note that the holes shrunk by about 25% after tanning:

    243ProHunteronmuledeerhide_zpse4ea0d8b.jpg

    I've had more success with Sierra, both Game King AND Prohunters than any other bullet. But then again, that was all I bought for years. For deer and hogs anyway, that may be why I brag so much on my .270. In fact I would say that Sierra Bullets were the main reason I had that much success. The only failures that weren't due to me dropping the ball were with bullets other than Sierra. But this is just MY experience. I'm more than sure that others on this forum have had more success with other bullets and feel just as strong as I do about their performance.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Expanding on my above post I have to say, in my experience, Sierra bullets have performed for me like they were some kind of smart bullet. It's like no matter what the size of the game you shoot with it, it knows how much to expand. I've never that I could remember have one blow up on the outside. And it seems no matter how far the penetrate they expand well. I will say that I wouldn't push my luck with them on a real heavy animal. I realize they aren't going to penetrate on a real large and tough animal. That's when I would use something like a Partition or a solid something. But for deer size game and maybe elk, I believe Game Kings or Prohunters will do it all.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    They are good. Not fancy, but very, very good.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    They are good. Not fancy, but very, very good.

    I agree.

    I am of the view that they are often underestimated by hunters and reloaders.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I think so. I will be hunting with the same round this weekend so might be able to give you more info if the hunting Gods are smiling down on me.
    Looking forward to your report :popcorn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement