Home Main Category Hunting

Trail cam pics

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
A big fat doe I've been seeing for months. She has no fawns and is bigger and her coat has a stronger red tint than the ones with fawns. She reminds me of the one in Zee's mom's back yard. She's done her job and will be nearly as difficult to take as a big 8 point. Archery opens the 28th. I'm excited.
Also looks like I have a **** problem. I'm not feeding corn so the squirrels are leaving me alone. Btw those black spots on her look like horse flies when I enlarge the image on my end.
Edit: ignore the date I think I got that figured out and the time is exactly 12 hours off.

Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Took me a while to figure out what I was looking at; interesting feeder.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well Ned I used some schedule 40 I had left over from fixing our septic system. I built 2 of them. I did have to buy the elbows and end caps. I used silicone caulk for glue. But left the top caps unglued so I can refill them. I cut out a trough on the lower leg of the "L" then drilled some holes for drain. I had some flat spray paint already. I've built them like this for years. I use gutter spikes to nail them to the tree. The upper leg holds quite a bit of feed. I got another pic of that doe. based on the time stamp that was about the time I let the dogs out last night for one more pee break.
    cpj wrote: »
    I've built similar feeders, but use a "y" fitting in the bottom.
    They work great, but, you are just feeding the deer. And they eat a lot. A battery powered feeder while more expensive than a piece of pvc, is far cheaper in the long run because you can use less corn. My theory is, out enough out to keep them interested in that area, but don't make em fat in your dime.

Only issue we had with your type of feeder was with squirrels. My buddy made one and covered the end (top) with a coffee can. Squirrels figured that out quick. One removed the can, and crawled inside head first, head down. We found him a few days later, close to the bottom. He didn't smell none to good. Now WHY they crawled in the top when there was corn in the bottom is beyond me. But I watched one feeding that way one morning. He would perch Onnthe top, then hang by his back feet and retrieve a piece or two of corn, eat it and repeat.

Well, again, I don't use corn so so far I haven't had any squirrel problems. I have had a **** come in. If he keeps coming back I'll address the issue.

I realize this type of feeder isn't for everyone. But although we see deer most days, I don't think there's a 1000 of them around. So far this same doe is the only one I've got pics of using it.
    Once the acorns start falling they'll quit using it anyway. They've already stopped hitting the salt lick I made. Which is a little early in the season in my experience.
    Also keep in mind this feeder is only about 100 yards from the house, so keeping it full is not a problem. This is the first trail cam I've ever had and I'm having fun switching out the cards every morning to see what kinda pics I got over night.
    I'll be moving it up to the bear bait pile soon.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    What food do you use?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I had to go out in the barn and look. It's Sportsman's choice Record Rack. Guaranteed blah, blah, blah. It says on the bag deer and elk feed. It looks extruded. It says water resistant.
    I've never used it before but I saw it at TSC at 15 bucks for a 50 lb bag.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That's actually good stuff. We've been using it for a couple of years and it does hold up to moisture better than any of the other feed we've tried. Some stuff swells up and jams the feeders when it gets even a little wet. Chris around here clean corn is 11.00 for a 50lb sack so that stuff is only a little more and it has a much higher protein content than corn. Most feed corn is about 5% to 7% protein and you want at least 15% to get good antler growth. Record Rack is like 18% or so. I like to mix two bags of it to one bag of corn and one bag of soybeans. They won't eat soybeans without something to sweeten it up but it's cheap and has a really high protein content. It all comes down to weather you want to just lure in a deer to shoot, or if you want to improve the health of the local herd for future harvest.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    That's actually good stuff. We've been using it for a couple of years and it does hold up to moisture better than any of the other feed we've tried. Some stuff swells up and jams the feeders when it gets even a little wet. Chris around here clean corn is 11.00 for a 50lb sack so that stuff is only a little more and it has a much higher protein content than corn. Most feed corn is about 5% to 7% protein and you want at least 15% to get good antler growth. Record Rack is like 18% or so. I like to mix two bags of it to one bag of corn and one bag of soybeans. They won't eat soybeans without something to sweeten it up but it's cheap and has a really high protein content. It all comes down to weather you want to just lure in a deer to shoot, or if you want to improve the health of the local herd for future harvest.

That's good to know. I spilled some out by the barn and it rained. What hasn't been stepped on is still intact. Besides squirrel issues with corn, it can grow certain types of mold. At least one of which is not good for deer. I've got mineral blocks out and it's supposed to rain for the next few days so I replanted my food plot one last time. I'm not on any kind of Quality Deer Management Program or anything but I am trying to make my little slice of Heaven attractive to critters. So if I can use products that make them healthier and grow better racks then that's all to the good.
    That same doe hit the feeder twice last night. At around 2am she fed for about an hour. Then just after 5am she ate for about 1/2 an hour til a ghost showed up. I've enlarged the pic on my end and can't tell what it is but she's looking right at it and that's the last pic on the card.
    cpj wrote: »
    There's a 'Squatch in them woods, that's what!

Haw! Shoot that thang!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Looks like a squirrel.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    I have amazing things going on at my huntin spot this year. I'm averaging 16 pictures a day on one of the cams. Most of them are a small 6pt buck, but he's got some older brothers. I just got done going through all the pics, here's the best from last week.
    sept15-22127_zps3d4e75c3.jpg
    sept15-22128_zps3c485ab0.jpg
    sept15-22129_zps3ff5ef6e.jpg
    sept15-22130_zps9b94cb7e.jpg
    sept15-22134_zpsd6ee0537.jpgsept15-22135_zps901a5ac8.jpgsept15-22136_zpscda992aa.jpg
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I have amazing things going on at my huntin spot this year. I'm averaging 16 pictures a day on one of the cams. Most of them are a small 6pt buck, but he's got some older brothers. I just got done going through all the pics, here's the best from last week.
    sept15-22128_zps3c485ab0.jpg
    sept15-22129_zps3ff5ef6e.jpg
    sept15-22130_zps9b94cb7e.jpg
    sept15-22134_zpsd6ee0537.jpgsept15-22135_zps901a5ac8.jpgsept15-22136_zpscda992aa.jpg

Gotta like those pics in the daylight, hope he is still in that pattern opening AM.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member

Squirrel my butt! Ears are too big........that's a chupacabra!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member

That is a big ol buck.....
    I was watching a hunting show where they were hunting a ranch in Texas. They were bragging up the size of the deer they were seeing. Well, if you put 12 skinny points on top of a German Shepard, of course they look big.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Yep. Judging a big rack is somewhat dependent on the deer that's wearing it. A big buck can make a 170" rack look small. That's a old brute, I'm guessing he'll go nocturnal soon. Hopefully, I'll come across him before then.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Yep. Judging a big rack is somewhat dependent on the deer that's wearing it. A big buck can make a 170" rack look small. That's a old brute, I'm guessing he'll go nocturnal soon. Hopefully, I'll come across him before then.

My brother had a bead on a big buck feeding on a pear tree on an abandoned home site. Came close to getting a shot a couple times, then some fat kid rode thru on a four wheeler and it disappeared never to be seen again. Probably completely nocturnal.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member

You definitely caught some interesting wildlife on that pic.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Looks like Jerm from here.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bullsi that is hilarious
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Took me a while to figure out what I was looking at; interesting feeder.

Yeah I thought he was talkin about the **** for a minute. Had to move back a pic. Yep that doe is ripe for the pickins. She's probably barren for sure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Around here most of your big bucks are nocturnal except in Rut. Then they forget to be careful, which can result in their demise. But other than that, it's amazing how smart they get.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.