Home Main Category Hunting

I can taste the back straps already

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,238 Senior Member
First one of the year falls. Nice tender back straps - mmm, they are going to be good. Now you gotta understand, I live in a suburb here in Kansas City, hung it in the front yard, butchered her up as I always have- Guess I broke in the new neighbors right, the teenage girl comes out and ask, "excuse me, but what is that?"
Only in Overland Park, KS! LOL

IMG_8021.jpg

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    A little ****, but those are delicious! Nice way to start the season. Congratulations.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Thanks Jermanator - still get the "RUSH" even with the little ones. When that's gone, I will hang my bow for good, but I don't ever see that happening. I have found the only thing better is watching your kids get the same feeling.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,105 Senior Member
    Excellent. Been waiting for the first one to post up a successful hunt.

Had some back steaks thurs night off the deer I shot last sunday. Heated the pan, a smidgen of butter, half a teaspoon of crushed garlic, the same of fresh crushed ginger. Seared the steaks for about 60 seconds each side and they were so tender a knife was not required. Soaked up the juice left on the plate with big chunks torn off a 'Farmhouse' loaf of fresh bread.

Best meal I have had for a while.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Nice eating deer
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,620 Senior Member
    MMMM, Fondue.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Nice little meat deer....perfect eating size....congratulations!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Nice going twa! That's perfect. I've shot a few just like it and that's the best of the best on the table.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    Congrats! :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice young deer ought to be great eating! Congrats.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Good for you on your first kill of the season.
    Should be quite tasty.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Nice! Should've told the neighbor girl it was your dog......
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Nice going, single steaks or butterflies ??

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Nice start to the season! Making me jealous because I won't be going after whitetail this year.

Like you said, even the little ones still give me a rush. Besides, it's always good to take a smaller doe for the freezer if you have the tags to do it. I do the same thing most seasons if I'm holding a bonus antlerless tag and haven't had luck for a larger doe. You KNOW the smaller one is going to eat well.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Nice going, single steaks or butterflies ??

JAY

Around this house, backstraps from a deer that size get grilled whole....rub them down with some olive oil, apply your favorite rub, let them sit for a couple of hours and then toss it on the grill....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    I always do mine in butterflies, but I like the idea Jayhawker, that sounds like a great way to do it. I actually called my guy that makes my jerky on Friday and told him I was eating my very last piece from last year, so it worked out perfect. Nice thing in KS, we can get up to 5 antlerless deer tags, but only one buck tag - definitely plan on taking a few more out of the herd and waiting for one of the nice horned deer I have on camera.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Why do y'all call that a "little" deer? Looks about normal-sized here in Florida...
    Overkill is underrated.