Sometimes the ACLU Actually Works for a Just Cause

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
Sometimes on rare occasion the ACLU actually gets it right. Of course this was the Mississippi branch of the ACLU, so maybe they have a few people in their organization with a brain.

http://gma.yahoo.com/judge-ordered-sikh-remove-rag-head-says-aclu-112736180--abc-news-topstories.html

I believe this and I defend the Sikh. I have known some of these people and I've never met one I didn't like. One of them is still a friend of my, Nippy Chadda who was born and raised and still lives in Kuwaite has a rather large auto parts business there. I met him on a plane flying from Kuwait to Dubai once and we struck up an enduring friendship.

Sikhs have some strange (to us) religious beliefs, but you won't hear too many stories of them strapping on the dynamite and blowing a bunch of innocent people away. Also Sikhs are known for their Witty humor. Many are down right jokesters. Some have actually made a career being a comedian. The ones I have known are good people and when I hear a story like this I'm embarrassed. Some people can be so ignorant of the ways of the world. Most that do this haven't been anywhere and don't realize that most people, though some seem strange to us, are basically good people. What's the world Census now, about 5 billion or so? And we in the U.S. are just a small dot in the sea of people, yet some of us think that our ways are the only way. I believe this is a Christian nation, but I also believe that if others want to come here and obey our laws and not try to change us to their way of life, they should be welcomed.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Stemming from his initial infringement, not turning over his Kirpin....though not many "religious items" are not weapons.....even a large crucifix can be a deadly item. You may have a right to carry, and SP officers may ask you to hand them over temporarily for their safety, as long as you get it back immediately after.

The Judge was a bigoted idiot.

Sikhs seem to be outside the norm of the rest of the Indian population.....brave, caring, and with a sense of humor..........the food still sucks though!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Stemming from his initial infringement, not turning over his Kirpin....though not many "religious items" are not weapons.....even a large crucifix can be a deadly item. You may have a right to carry, and SP officers may ask you to hand them over temporarily for their safety, as long as you get it back immediately after.

The Judge was a bigoted idiot.

Sikhs seem to be outside the norm of the rest of the Indian population.....brave, caring, and with a sense of humor..........the food still sucks though!

I love Sikh food. They aren't vegans. They like good hot curried beef. And my friend Nippy's wife could make it to die for.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Maybe I've just never had good Indian food.....my brother seems to love it, but everything I've tried was just meh! Even the so-called "hot" stuff. Gimme a good enchilada smothered in green chile anyday!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,049 Senior Member
    Despicable treatment from the ignorant DOT boobs and a Judge who ought to know better. The Sikhs I have know have been some of the most honorable human beings I have ever met. I sincerely hope there are some jobs lost and someone writes Mr. Singh a HUGE check.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Having made the mistake of putting Sikhs in the same category as Arabs before, I can understand and tolerate a certain level of ignorance, but my default position is always to treat people with respect first. A person in a position of authority should most definitely be held to that same standard at the very least.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.