Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Calif. gov. vetoes semi-automatic rifle ban

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Brown is no friend to gun owners 2A RKBA, but he he saw the light on this draconion bill and vetoed it. Good for him and CA. I reckon even the Loons in LA LA LAND have to reeled in once and a while.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/11/calif-gov-vetoes-semi-automatic-rifle-ban/?intcmp=latestnews

"SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a bill Friday that would have imposed the nation's toughest gun ownership restrictions on Californians, saying it was too far-reaching.

The legislation would have banned future sales of most semi-automatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, part of a firearms package approved by state lawmakers in response to mass shootings in other states.

It was lawmakers' latest attempt to close loopholes that have allowed manufacturers to work around previous assault weapon bans. Gun rights groups had threatened to sue if the semi-automatic weapons ban became law.

"I don't believe that this bill's blanket ban on semi-automatic rifles would reduce criminal activity or enhance public safety enough to warrant this infringement on gun owners' rights," the Democratic governor wrote in his veto message.

He also noted that California already has some of the nation's strictest gun and ammunition laws.

The legislation was among 18 gun bills considered by the governor as he works toward a Sunday deadline to act on bills sent to his desk last month. He signed 11 firearms bills into law and vetoed seven.

Democratic Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, who proposed the rifle restrictions, said in a statement that more than 1,100 Californians have been killed with guns since the mass school shooting in Newtown, Conn., in December.

"I believe aggressive action is precisely what's needed to reduce the carnage in our communities, and to counter the equally aggressive action by the gun industry," Steinberg said.

The bill sought to ban the sale of assault rifles, but Brown objected that it also would have applied to low-capacity weapons commonly used for hunting, firearms training and target shooting, and some historical and collectible firearms. Brown also didn't want thousands of legal gun owners to have to register their existing weapons as assault rifles and be blocked from selling or transferring the weapons.

"That was, without a doubt, the most egregious piece of anti-gun legislation ever brought to a governor for his signature," said Clint Montfort, an attorney with Michel and Associates, West Coast counsel for the National Rifle Association. "We appreciate that the governor has respected the rights of California gun owners."

Montfort said the NRA is examining the bills that Brown did sign to see if any merit legal challenges.

The governor signed a measure from Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, which bans kits that allow people to turn regular ammunition magazines into high-capacity magazines, as well as two other pieces of legislation that restrict the ability of mentally ill people to possess firearms.

Brown approved a measure making California the first state to impose a statewide ban on lead bullets for all types of hunting. Hunting with lead bullets already is prohibited in eight counties with endangered California condors. About two dozen states also have partial bans, mostly in sensitive wildlife refuges.

But Brown rejected a bill that would have required owners whose firearms are lost or stolen to promptly notify law enforcement. The governor noted he vetoed a similar bill last year and still doubts that criminalizing the failure to report missing weapons would help law enforcement track down gun traffickers or those prohibited from owning weapons.

Nick Wilcox, whose daughter was killed by a gunman during a 2001 Nevada County rampage, said he was hopeful Brown would have approved more.

"It's a step forward. It's not as big a step forward as we would have liked," Wilcox said on behalf of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Paul Song, executive chairman of the Courage Campaign, an advocacy organization that supported the gun bills, said in a telephone interview that Brown appeared to be trying to defuse a possible campaign issue as he runs for re-election next year. The organization later released a much stronger statement accusing the governor of "cowardly behavior" and saying he "will have blood on his hands."

Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, said gun owners' rights groups will consider mounting recall campaigns or election-year challenges against Democratic lawmakers who voted for the gun bills. Final votes on the legislation occurred last month, just as two Colorado state lawmakers were recalled for supporting tougher gun laws in that state.

Paredes predicted lawsuits challenging bills that require safe storage of handguns, Skinner's high-capacity magazine bill, and legislation requiring that buyers of rifles and shotguns pass a safety test.

Still, he said, "We were only shot in the heart six times instead of 12 times, and I guess we should be happy with that."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Democratic Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, who proposed the rifle restrictions, said in a statement that more than 1,100 Californians have been killed with guns since the mass school shooting in Newtown, Conn., in December.

I'd bet half of the 1,100 number is Mexican Nationals, NOT actual Californians.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• amx4080amx4080 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Gov. Jerry Brown did sign the lead ammo ban. How can that be enforced? What about all the reloaders with hoards of lead cast bullets? This law he did sign just seems silly to me.
    amx4080 wrote: »
    Gov. Jerry Brown did sign the lead ammo ban. How can that be enforced? What about all the reloaders with hoards of lead cast bullets? This law he did sign just seems silly to me.

The lead ammo ban only applies to hunting and it doesn't go into affect until July 2019. That said, this ban eliminates the 22 LR from hunting and makes dove and quail hunting cost prohibitive. I guess that is the point.

Speaking of silly, California still allows fishing in the aqua ducts with lead weights. In case you didn't know, this is the water supply to Southern California.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

cpj wrote: »
    Not sure how they can enforce a ban on lead hunting ammo. How do they (or you) prove one way or the other what the bullet is made of? Lead tipped bullets, duh. But something like an AMax or an SST , or a NBT?
    Of course, no one ever claimed these folks were schmart.

You get stopped by F&G in the field. He is unsure about your bullet composition. He confiscates all of your ammo, rifle, truck, gear, and places you under arrest. Two weeks later, your ammo tests negative for lead. Hopefully you have enough money to get your truck and gear out of impound. Your rifle is gone forever. For the children.

Dude, we are talking about California. The LE culture is incredibly hostile towards ANYTHING gun related.

Adam J. McCleod

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Yea OK. I have never had any issues with F&G they have always been professional.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Yea OK. I have never had any issues with F&G they have always been professional.

How about an experiment. You go hunting in the condor zones with ammo that is not easily identified as lead-free and show it to the first Warden that comes along.

If he gives you the benefit of the doubt, I'll donate $250 to CRPA.

Adam J. McCleod

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    If you go out looking for trouble you usually find it. Myself or my friends have no horror stories about hunting, fishing or target shooting. I have dealt with an hole once in a while, I suppose that's inevitable. I'm just going to continue business as usual.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    You get stopped by F&G in the field. He is unsure about your bullet composition. He confiscates all of your ammo, rifle, truck, gear, and places you under arrest. Two weeks later, your ammo tests negative for lead. Hopefully you have enough money to get your truck and gear out of impound. Your rifle is gone forever. For the children.

Dude, we are talking about California. The LE culture is incredibly hostile towards ANYTHING gun related.

I agree with Buford on this. Most wardens and/or F&G officials (including biologists) that I have met have been very laid back and professional. Most are gun owners and support the 2nd Amendment. Once, about 5 years back, I was given some slack (warning)for forgetting my hunting license in my truck while dove hunting near Barstow.