CCWing the Glock 20

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,966 Senior Member
I went shooting with the glock 20 today and re-affirmed that it takes considerable familiarity. One cannot just pick it up after months of non use and crank off the first rnd with a perfect hit. But, with concentration one can be back in the groove quickly. With a SA or SA/DA revolver one can lay off and be able to pick it up or change revolvers and be on tgt. Of course I only shoot SA except with the LCR.
Anyway, since I was out and needed some seven to combat wasps and was wearing a Cabelas XL tall sun shirt, I decided to CCW the glock. It carried well, and was no more trouble than a SP 101 or the LCR, as long as I wasn't trying to pocket carry.
Oh, for the BGK: the shirt was blue.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 219 Member
    NN wrote: »
    One cannot just pick it up after months of non use and crank off the first rnd with a perfect hit.

Im starting to think that it is different with different people. For me, most every Glock I have fired I do well with even if it has been months since I have used one. But as for revolvers, I have to really work to get back "in the groove" with them.

As for concealed carrying the model 20, I have done it a few time especially if I have to stop somewhere while on my way to the woods or something.

Glad to hear you still have the Glock 20 even though it doesnt seem to agree with you at times.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Well, I need it to shoot up 10mm ammo in case the revolver quits.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Agree that the Glock (regardless of which model) is a bit "clubby" and not as natural a grip as maybe a 1911 or a comfy wheelgun. But after a bit, it's just fine.

What I normally do at the range is alternate at least 2 pistols so that I can "lap in" on each without a lot of tweaking. No, it's not for precise or detailed target distances, but for the typical 21 feet that's a self defense distance, I can get 90% of my shots in the 3, 4, or 5 ring. Maybe not the most perfect technique but acceptable in my book.

ps -- do you find that blue shirts are more accurate than green ones? ha ha

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member
    When I go to the range and shoot my Glocks, I shoot the G20 first followed by the G22 then my G19. By the time I shoot my g19 it is a lot like shooting a pop gun. Shooting my 9x18 makarov after that is almost like shooting a .22

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    When I go to the range and shoot my Glocks, I shoot the G20 first followed by the G22 then my G19. By the time I shoot my g19 it is a lot like shooting a pop gun. Shooting my 9x18 makarov after that is almost like shooting a .22

D
    Nice system
    Sam: ps -- do you find that blue shirts are more accurate than green ones? ha ha
    That last line was for cpj to find and spout off about pink shirts; I wounder where he is?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    I'm not a real big hand gun buff, but I am into carry weapons as far as function and fit. I like the idea of a Glock in 9mm. It should be lighter and more concealable. I don't mind the extra ump of the 9 over what I carry at night now, the 32 ACP. Although as I have said, I don't feel undergunned with the 32, I do like the 9. It does give you an edge in a pinch. The Glock Model 26 is a smaller version of the regular Glocks in 9mm and looks to be not much bigger or heavier than my 32. Prices are around $500 new, but maybe I can find one a little cheaper somewhere or a good used one. Some of you Glock guys advise me here. What do you think of the Pocket Glocks for carry?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    If you would learn to shoot properly, you would have MUCH better luck after months of not shooting any one of your guns. Not busting your xxxxx, but being serious.
    But I know you are to old and stubborn to change. (now Im busting your xxxxx.)
    I am just old, kid, I can only shoot one at a time.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I do it the other way 'round.

I always start with the .22 and work my way up... 9mm, .40, .44spl/.45, .44 mag and then call it a day.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm like BigDanS. I want to shoot the big boys while I'm still fresh. The little fellers as I start to fade.
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    I'm like BigDanS. I want to shoot the big boys while I'm still fresh. The little fellers as I start to fade.

hah,
    you have dropped your britches and gave away your secret. You carry that .327, and when it pisses someone off just enough, you pull the 10.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson