I'm excited!

topguntopgun MemberPosts: 128 Member
Yesterday, my daughter and I had a little talk about Home Defense. She stated that she no longer had a weapon at home, and she was worried about someone breaking in, and her being defenseless.

I offered her my 12ga. Mossberg pump with 18 1/2 inch barrel, my 32 S&W Long revolver, or my Mark II Ruger 22. I have many other guns, but I think they are too much gun for her, or they are not adequate for home defense. I told her that we'll go to my local range Sunday, and she can shoot those three. I'll be the first to admit that the Mark II and the 32 are barely adequate. The only reason I would consider the 22 at all, is because it has 6, 10 round mags. for it.

The other option which I'll probably pursue, is renting a gun for her to shoot, and then buying what she can shoot well. I'm thinking that even though I think the 9mm is marginal (oh, oh, maybe I opened the floodgates here) for myself, the number or rounds available may do the trick (sort of like the 22).

What do you guys and girls think? I'm attending a retirement party tonight, and we're going to the range at 10 AM, so I may not have time to respond to any suggestions. I may have time to read them though.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,013 Senior Member
    Rule #1 of surviving a gun fight - HAVE A GUN

So as long as she's obeying that rule, the rest is pretty academic IMO
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    If she does not like what you offer, look at the Bersa Thunder .380.

Clean is recoil shy, but, likes the Bersa .380.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    My former girlfriend is quite petite and she had no problems firing my 1911s and Springfield XD .45. I did however buy her a nice mid-size 9mm pistol (Kahr) and she likes it just fine, has zero problem with recoil, even with the relatively higher powered self defense loads. It's my experience that most any woman can adapt quickly to a 9mm pistol and learn to shoot it quite well.

There are plenty of decent quality 9mm pistols out there, and they'd make a fine home defense weapon for a woman (or anyone else, for that matter). Kahr, Glock, and Springfield are just 3 possibles of the many.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    My wife has wrist issues, but has no problem shooting her SW431PD .32 H&R Mag.
    Might give one or something like it a look.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I recently sold an older woman a 22mag revolver with a box of gold dot 22 mags. She said her 9mm was stove piping, and her weak wrists prevented her from being able to clear it (I also told her her weak wrists were causing it). I let her shoot a 38 and it was too stout for her as well. She shot the 22mag and said it felt good.
    Bottom line, you have to be comfortable with what you have. A 45 would be worthless if it was only food for one shot because you couldn't clear a weak wrist induced stove pipe.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If she shoots the Ruger MKII well and has confidence in it, I think 10 quick ones at/in the boilermaker will change any BGs mind real quick. She can move up to something bigger later on.

A frightened and pissed off female victim armed with a .22 is not a bad start to even out the playing field.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    My wife has wrist issues, but has no problem shooting her SW431PD .32 H&R Mag.
    Might give one or something like it a look.
    :that:

.32 H&R in a real easy shooting accurate rnd and close to some .38spl rnds in energy.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Don't worry a bit about caliber. They're all good, and 99+% of bad guys know that being wounded means a trip to the hospital - and then to the local police station - and finally to prison. They don't want to be shot with anything, and that includes a .22LR. Even the suspicion that their intended victim might be armed sends most of them running. Being actually shot at sends them all outta there. I know, there's always that oddball drug-crazed thug that...never mind...you might also win the Powerball or find an alligator in your toilet.

The only considerations necessary for your daughter are operational - safety, reliability, control, confidence, and maintenance. Forget the 12 gauge shotgun. Sure, some women can handle them, even indoors under life threatening stress, but those Amazons aren't anybody's daughter. Forget also the Ruger Mk II. That hinged hook thingy in the grip that has to come out and go in just right for disassembly, cleaning and reassembly is a genuine pain in the behind, even for lots of guys. Never mind 9mm, .40 or .45. All have sharp, violent, often gun and arm twisting recoil that won't fill daughter with confidence.

That .32 revolver is ideal. Safety and simplicity in every way. Reliability and control are there too. No clearing drills to remember if it jams like an autoloader. No worry about her forgetting a round in the chamber after the mag is out and having an accidental discharge while she's trying to clean it. All that brings confidence and comfort - to her and you both. If not the .32 revolver, a .38 Special revolver is even better. Both offer low, easily managed recoil, and both are available in smaller weapons that will fit comfortably into her lovely, slender, beautifully manicured fingers. When, after gaining practice and experience, she's ready for +P or even +P+ loads, that's all the edge she'll ever need. Charter Arms makes some excellent little revolvers in .38 Special - economically priced and reliable as sunrise.
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Well, we went to the range with the Mark II, the 32 s&w long and the 12 gauge. To my surprise, she shot all three very well even though she's probably only 100 pounds soaking wet. She really enjoyed shooting the handguns because she never shot one before. Years ago, she did borrow the 12 ga a couple of times to go skeet shooting with one of her boyfriends.

I agreed that she can keep all three at her house for home defense, until we have more time at the range with rented handguns in various calibers and configurations. Her birthday is coming up soon, and I know a new gun she can call her own would make her one happy girl. Next step would be helping her get her carry license.

I really appreciate all the great advice you people have offered here. I will keep your tips in mind while deciding, and also let my daughter read them too.

Thanks again.

Al
    topgun wrote: »
    I really appreciate all the great advice you people have offered here. I will keep your tips in mind while deciding, and also let my daughter read them too.

Thanks again.

Al

It's of course essential that she feels comfortable with the weapon. Otherwise, at a critical time, she might hesitate. I was just saying that my quite small ex-gf is just fine with her 9mm pistol, and that your daughter might consider a slightly heavier caliber as she becomes more experienced shooting.

Naturally, if she's got unusually weak wrists or some other difficulty, a 9mm might be a bit too hot.

The .32 is probably a great choice. Keep us posted and tell her good luck!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,723 Senior Member
    I agree with most of the advice you've gotten, but would like to point out that the 9mm you referred to as being 'marginal' is the best choice of the pistols you mentioned, and entirely adequate for self defense, if loaded with proper ammo and fired accurately. Most doctors and paramedics will agree that there is not a lot of difference in soft tissue wounds caused by 9mm (9x19), .40 S&W, or .45 ACP self defense rounds. If the gun is to be used for home defense, an intermediate sized 9mm or .38 Special revolver is a good choice.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Never mind 9mm, .40 or .45. All have sharp, violent, often gun and arm twisting recoil that won't fill daughter with confidence.

My daughter LOVES my Kimber CDP II custom .45acp. You know, the one with the lighter aluminum frame that increases felt recoil. Shot a 3" group at 10 yards with it 2 weeks ago.

When you make sweeping generalizations like the one I quoted above, which are easily refuted, you lose credibility.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    When you make sweeping generalizations like the one I quoted above, which are easily refuted, you lose credibility.

True, not dissing horse too much but his statement about harshness is a bit overdrawn. I actually find the .40 more "snappy" of the 3, the .45 more "pushy" in its recoil, and the 9mm? Ho hum.

My current girlfriend isn't very enthusiastic about guns, but she's shot my .45s and had no real problems with them, just not her cuppa tea, pistol shootin' -- but recoil? not a prob.

A decent mid-size 9mm is probably an ideal self defense pistol for small-framed people who will normally adjust to its moderate recoil. But if it's a problem, then, absolutely, go with a lighter caliber -- you can always move up a notch after some experience.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    In a rare moment of self-inflicted stupidity, I traded for a Lorcin 9MM. The thing was approximately the size and weight of a 1/2" square drive impact wrench, and kicked like a whizzed-off draft horse! That massive heavy slide needed to control the 9MM cartridge in straight blowback operation was the problem. By comparison, my 2 1/2" barreled AMT Backup .45 has very little felt recoil, probably because the short slide has very little mass, and the gun uses the same "delayed blowback" action as the 1911, where the barrel recoils with the slide until the bullet leaves the barrel and relieves most of the chamber pressure.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    If her hands can handle a full size 9mm, that's the one I'd get her.......something like a PT 92.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If her hands can handle a full size 9mm, that's the one I'd get her.......something like a PT 92.

PT = Taurus = it works Part Time :tooth::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!