"Tactical" Tomahawks... some questions

2»

Replies

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I like the looks of the trail hawk but it seems cold steel has discontinued the model.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,596 Senior Member
    on amazon, 30 bucks
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,619 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Damn enabler.

Don't know if I want that one or this a one.......

!BtycZK!EWk~$(KGrHqUOKj8EvYkdmuT0BL9,!,Qcz!~~_3.JPG
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Just bought the Cold Steel Trench Hawk for my nephew's birthday. It's tacticooler than the Trail Hawk.

90PTH_1_zps72a7bff6.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    Damn enabler.

:wink:

You're welcome.

I always wanted one, and wanted to go light weight. About 2 years ago I found it on Amazon for 22 bucks and got it. As a camp tool, as long as you arent trying to build a cabin or chop wood for a "white man" fire I have become fond of it.

As a weapon, I still have the PF-9. I'm to old and fat to be runnin through the jungle with my M-16 anymore, which means I am way out of shape to go after the Frenchies with a flintlock and a tomahawk. That said, they are fast, that is how they work, so I would assume that as long as you are able to roll your wrist, it would work to repel boarders.

The riflemans hawk is just a little heavier and has a hammer head, in case you cant find a trailhawk. http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Riflemans-American-Hickory/dp/B000Q9BG4Y
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I want the other. It has the hammer head. Dual usage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel-Knives-Trail-Hawk-Tomahawk-Axe-Hammer-NIB-/400588724058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d44f2d75a

Here ya go- - - - -5 days left on the Ebay auction.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Chris, what you have pictured here is typically what one style of tomahawks would have looked like in the 1700-early 1800's. These were for the most part trade items passed on to Native Americans in barter for deer skins. Very few people know this, but in the early 1700's a bovine disease virtually wiped out the cattle in Europe and placed a premium on deer hides from the Colonies. (I can give references to this if anyone wants it.) Native Indians, most especially the Cherokees and Creeks (the Creeks the best by far) were deer hunters of the first degree. Several million hides were annually shipped from the Colonies to England to replace cattle hides for leather. These tomahawks, along with smoothbore trade guns were very big trade items. The follow-up Hudson Bay Axe is a variation of this style hawk. Norlund Axe Co. used to manufacture these, and I have 2-3 around somewhere I think. Another style common in the Colonial Period would look like this one but would have had a small hammer type head opposite the cutting edge.
    on amazon, 30 bucks

Amazon won't ship it to my address for some reason, I've bought knives from them before so......:silly:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,619 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Amazon won't ship it to my address for some reason, I've bought knives from them before so......:silly:

Is it a P.O. Box? I've seen places that won't ship certain things like ammo to a P.O. box......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,170 Senior Member
    Now ponder this: which would probably be more useful: a 'hawk or a kukri?

Ooooooh! Good question!

The Kukri is a better cutting and chopping tool. That can't be questioned by anybody who's ever used both. It is certainly what I would prefer as a fighting implement. Only disadvantage I can see to it is that the tomahawk makes a MUCH better hammer.

As a SURVIVAL tool, I don't seen a lot of use for a precise hammer that could be suitable for fine tasks like driving nails. I gotta go kukri on this one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,170 Senior Member

The ideal way to design the NON-hammer head version would be to give the back a flat striking surface, which would give you a hammer AND keep the weight down. I've got the Cold Steel Rifleman's 'hawk (with the hammer head) and like they say in their advertising, it's better suited for stronger individuals when it comes to rapid changes in direction.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member

I just ordered mine Chris. We have Amazon Prime, $29.26 will be here Wednesday.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    farm boy wrote: »
    I just ordered mine Chris. We have Amazon Prime, $29.26 will be here Wednesday.

Me too
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Is it a P.O. Box? I've seen places that won't ship certain things like ammo to a P.O. box......

Well I had my PO Box and physical address listed so I took the PO Box off and they're shipping it so......
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Ooooooh! Good question!

The Kukri is a better cutting and chopping tool. That can't be questioned by anybody who's ever used both. It is certainly what I would prefer as a fighting implement. Only disadvantage I can see to it is that the tomahawk makes a MUCH better hammer.

As a SURVIVAL tool, I don't seen a lot of use for a precise hammer that could be suitable for fine tasks like driving nails. I gotta go kukri on this one.
    As to survival, I want to bring a Holiday Inn. However, I thought about this while trying to eliminate stuff from my pack. I was thinking big knife (Kbar) but any kind of knife is limited to cutting.

Pound some tent stakes for a shelter with a kukri.

I personally dont want to hack through a 4 inch oak with either one, and there is really very little reason to. However the 2 hand grip that you could use with a hawk would likely mean that you can cut longer. I have cut through 4-5 in dead maple for kicks and it worked. I am going to split a log with the head off just once to see if I can, though I dont see the point. Maybe in a different lattitude but my area has enough real woods to find smaller stuff and I dont want to hack through anything big enough that I have to split like that with a hand tool.

I dont know how you would split wood to find something dry to make fire with a kukri, and I cant imagine that chopping anything you NEED to chop would be any less hard with either. I have found that I can cook on a open fire built by nothing greater than 1/2 in twigs. When it is wet out, the hawk can be used to split 2-3in dead limbs to get to the inside dry wood that you can then peel strips off of to make tinder.

Either way, if you are going for a "survival" tool, you had best spend a few nights in the woods with whatever you choose. The adage applies, "You dont know how to shoot long range, until you shoot long range." to this to. Anything can look good on paper or in the back yard.