Anyone tried 77gr Nosler .224 HPBT in the 16 inch M4? 69 gr Sierra HPBT match?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,825 Senior Member
I can get some Nosler 77 gr HPBT in .224 at a good price, $23 per100 or Sierra 69 gr HPBT Match ammo at $20.31 / 100.

These would be for my 1:9 twist 16 inch M4

Has anyone tried either?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    Do you think you can push the 77gr with 1:9?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I wouldn't go above the 69 grain with that twist rate and barrel length. I think you may have some issues with the shorter barrel length getting enough speed on the heavies to stabilize well. I figure you will only be able to get in the 2600-2650 fps range.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,825 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I can get some Nosler 77 gr HPBT in .224 at a good price, $23 per100 or Sierra 69 gr HPBT Match ammo at $20.31 / 100.

These would be for my 1:9 twist 16 inch M4

Has anyone tried either?

D

I decided to go with the 69gr Sierra match kings. I picked up some Hornady 55gr vmax and 55gr fmj bt, and some Hornady Amax 155gr .308's.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I decided to go with the 69gr Sierra match kings. I picked up some Hornady 55gr vmax and 55gr fmj bt, and some Hornady Amax 155gr .308's.

D

You have chosen wisely my son!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Paul says he is able to push 75gr with his. I count that as a trusted source, but I think that is the uppermost limit and performance falls steeply off the other side.

I made note of this a few weeks ago....before I was stationed in italy, you used to be able to go to the gun store and buy a "variety pack". It was a pack of rounds by different weight so you could narrow down what grain was best for your rifle. Usually the LGS put it together themselves. You may be able to still find this.

Out of my 1:10, I throw 62grain very well. I want to try some 65 grain soon.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,948 Senior Member
    If I recall, I'm able to shoot 77gr SMK out of both my 16" and 20" heavy barrel, 1-9" twist ARs.

I know I've shot them out of those rifles and don't remember the bullets tumbling. Maybe I need to refresh my memory.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Just checked my pictures. I have a .396" group with perfect round holes out of my 20" heavy barrel and 1-9" twist. So, it appears the 77gr SMK stabilize out of that rifle. Still need to check on the 16" though.
    That is awesome....Especially out of 16". But then, the SMK is one well made round....
    That is awesome....Especially out of 16". But then, the SMK is one well made round....

No, that was the 20" barrel. As I mentioned, I don't remember the results out of the 16" barrel. I'll either have to check around for targets or take it to the range again.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,121 Senior Member
    The Nosler 77 grainers aren't that much longer than the 69 SMKs, but I've not tried them in my 16" 1:9"
    I caught them with 250 ct boxes on sale a few years ago and bought a BUNCH, still have 2 unopened and 1 that's .5-.75 full. I mainly use them in my 1:8 Lilja
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.