Scouting report....Except for .22's we are back in the ammo buisness!

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,681 Senior Member
Took a little trip to Cabelas in Buda, Texas today. Lots of ammo stacked up everywhere. Bulk boxes of .223 and 7.62x39 on special. All the ammo shelves were pretty darn full.

In the reloading area there was plenty of .223 bullets and brass. Also plenty of stuff for 9mm and .45acp. They had primers for everything but not a huge stock. Lots of presses and scales or any other tools you need for reloading were available. I busted out and bought a media separator, been doing it by hand for years. I was really tempted to go crazy and buy a bunch of components but I don't need anything that bad so I was able to refrain.
I did pick up one of the Ruger BX-25 mags for my 10/22. That think works great anf fits my rifle like a glove. I put 50 rounds through it when I got home. I'm going to have to go back and pick up a couple more.

All in all fun trip.
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ain't it ironic there is a shortage of .22 ammo, but now you can get Ruger (OEM mags that work) made 25 round mags for your 10/22.

Your report sounds promising. I think slowly but surely things are looking up.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,966 Senior Member
    Not out of the woods here,
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Local Wal-Mart had American Eagle bulk pack of 5.56/223 with 62 grain bullet, 150 count/box for $69. I picked one up as
    well as a couple of 45 a.c.p. bulk boxes of 50 count each.

I've never seen this particular item in our Wally-World before.
    ameagle150.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,681 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Ain't it ironic there is a shortage of .22 ammo, but now you can get Ruger (OEM mags that work) made 25 round mags for your 10/22.

Your report sounds promising. I think slowly but surely things are looking up.

Thr Ruger mags are $24.99 which is a decent price. And you are right, finally a decent mag and no freaking ammo, they had a little bit of some weird brand that was like $20.00 a box of 50 which is probably why it was still there!

AR mags were $14.99.

Lot and lots of AR's stacked up on the rifle racks
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    Around here everything but .22LR is back to normal supplies. .223 still seems overpriced though.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    I hope Obama lets .22 ammo catch up before he throws the next bomb.

I am seeing occasional pistol ammo at Walmart, but still zero .22's. I actually bought a 250 round 'case' of Remington UMC 115 gr. 9mm, because I know I'm not gonna be reloading any for a while, and it was priced about right.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I picked up a BX-25 from Midway recently, then went looking for ammo..............nuthin'. Good thing I bought plenty when it was available.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Other than the price bump, everything is back to normal here. Except 22's.
    I have managed to get 2 bricks in the last 2 weeks at the lgs, though. So it's getting better.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Lot and lots of AR's stacked up on the rifle racks

that's cause everyone that was gonna buy one, did.

still don't get why a Winchester94 in 30-30 is as much as, if not more than an AR
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,551 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Other than the price bump, everything is back to normal here. Except 22's.
    I have managed to get 2 bricks in the last 2 weeks at the lgs, though. So it's getting better.

I've seen some bricks of standard velocity stuff, but still >$30 a brick.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson