Which of your current firearms would you choose.....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,738 Senior Member
.....if you REALLY needed to hit a 6" target ~ 300 yards away with the first shot right now & why that one?

I'm not asking for what you'd prefer, some dream rifle you want, or "the _____ I used to have" This is what you have available to you at this moment with ammo you currently have on hand.
No ammo for your "favorite"? I hope you've got good arms, that's a LONG way to throw something, especially something as big as a rifle. (Translated, no ammo = not an option)

For me, it'd probably be my 30-06 with the 208 A-max loads that are in the carrier on the stock.
Why? Because I know that that particular load shoots to within ~1" of the Balisti-plex reticle on it out to 500 yards. Put the 300 yard hash on the target and it should be a done deal.

So, how about you?

Edited to add: and if you're wondering why the 6" target at the approx 300 yard distance, it's because that's far enough away and small enough that most cartridges, with a 100 yard zero, won't hit it without either a scope adjustment or some hold over.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,342 Senior Member
    My 6.5-06 with 125 grain Nosler Partitions. Several deer at that range ended up DRT under those exact conditions- - - -one shot from a makeshift rest with no chance to observe a miss and make any corrections.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Like you, many of my rigs have Ballistic-Plex reticles or Leupold's Varmint Hunter reticle and loads to match the stadia lines.
    Without knowing the size of the quarry/target,that you have in mind, I'd have to qualify my response with, "it depends on what size critter I'm shooting".

My Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 is set up for my 129 grain Hornady SST load and the main crosshair of the 4.5x-14x
    Burris scope (with Bal. Plex reticle) is zeroed at 200 yards. The stadia lines below it match up with 300 & 400 yards and have
    been verified at the range with my hunting loads. The ammo is loaded and on the shelf in my shop. This combo has worked on
    antelope at slightly more than 400 yards from a seated position with Harris bipod.

If it was a coyote at 300 yards I'd grab my Savage in 204 Ruger. It wears a 4.5x-14x Leupold with Varmint Hunter reticle and
    with Hornady factory ammo, 40 grain V-Max bullet, the 300 & 400 yard hash marks are close enough to POI and coincide
    with the hash marks for those distances. (with the main cross hair zeroed @ 200 yards). I always have several boxes of that
    factory ammo on hand and ready to pop a distant critter with this 204.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I'm pretty good with the trapdoor Springfield at 200 yards, but haven't tried it at 300, and I'm not sure if it's 6" accurate. So, I'd probably grab my 7MM STW with the 140's. That's almost point blank range.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,474 Senior Member
    Rem 700 VLS in 6mm Rem with any of the following loads: 95 grain NBT, 75 grain VMax, 55 grain NBT.

As to the 6" target at 300 yards, that's far enough away that most cartridges zeroed at 200 yards won't hit it without a scope adjustment or some bit of holdover.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,738 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    Without knowing the size of the quarry/target,that you have in mind, I'd have to qualify my response with, "it depends on what size critter I'm shooting".
    Is no "quarry" so to speak, just a 6" target as I mentioned in the OP
    knitepoet wrote: »
    .....if you REALLY needed to hit a 6" target ~ 300 yards away with the first shot right now
    <snip>
    Edited to add: and if you're wondering why the 6" target at the approx 300 yard distance, it's because that's far enough away and small enough that most cartridges, with a 100 yard zero, won't hit it without either a scope adjustment or some hold over.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    The vast majority of mine are capable of that shot. No reason to list them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Paper or steel targets or flesh, my answer would be the same. My 6.5x284. :up:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    Linefinder wrote: »

As to the 6" target at 300 yards, that's far enough away that most cartridges zeroed at 200 yards won't hit it without a scope adjustment or some bit of holdover.
    True enough. I imagine there are some though that can with a 200 zero. I'd have to do some checking as to which ones though to verify that that hypothesis though.

shooter wrote: »
    Paper or steel targets or flesh, my answer would be the same. My 6.5x284. :up:
    sounds like a winner :up:

Are you saying this has to be accomplished with no scope adjustment or holdover?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,474 Senior Member
    If you hold dead center of a 6" target at 300 yards with a rifle zeroed at 200 yards, you've only 3" of drop and you're below the bottom of the 6" target. There's probably a chambering/projectile combo or two out that that can pull it off, but they're gonna be few and far between.

I did some research a few years back just to see which chamberings fired perfectly parallel to level ground from "shoulder height" ((arbitrarily 60"in this case)) would reach 500 yards before they hit the ground. While I didn't check everything out there, obviously, I checked a bunch and the 50 BMG with a 750 grain projectile was the only one I found that would make the trip. Most wouldn't make even 400.

As Rapier once stated so eloquently, "Once you clear 300 yards, everything has the flight path of a Craftsman toolbox".

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...6.5 Creedmoor, one half circle above the top, point & pull...
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Today it would be my Savage 116 in 30-06 shooting 180 gr Sierra SPBT over 57.5 gr H4350, zero at 200 and 9 inches low at 300 yards.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Well there is the AR-10, the 300 Weatherby, the 7mm Weatherby the Remington 308.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,110 Senior Member
    Blow gun...
    modal-01.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,963 Senior Member
    No brainer...my Savage 110 .300 Win Mag, running a 208 grain A-Max...a chip shot for that rifle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    OK, saw where you added that you'd hold using your ballistic plex. In that case, I stand by my original post.

The vast majority of mine will do it.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,110 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Blow gun...
    ...powered with my butt.

Butt seriously... If the range is known and the target size is known, a good rule of thumb for most of the rifles that I have would be to hold over 2 target heights from the center (for a rifle sighted in at 100 yards). That puts me 12" high and it would more often than not put me in that 6" circle.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,153 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, I do not have a rifle currently that I could guarantee a hit on a six-inch target @300 yards. Fortunately, I have no need to do so.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

:that: Yup. Don't have a shortage. For the same game at 600Y, the .30-06 AI with 190 SMK's - because that rifle has played that game a lot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    My Savage 111 in 30.06
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    I have guns capable of it, but not currently sighted for that distance and any holdover would be guesswork. If I had to guess, it would be my .35 Whelen
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I don't claim to be in the same class as some shooters on here, but all BS aside, I could do that with all of centerfire rifles without having to think about it~Assuming I had a decent rest.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    I have a handful that can do it. My first thought would be my Caleb/Zee 223. Dial 3 minutes on the turret, no brainer.
    I believe several guys made that shot at Teach's last year with it.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    Only have one centerfire rifle right now..... Rock River AR.

The Leatherwood scope has the holdover marked on the reticle....

cmr_reticle_notes.jpg

I hit the 12'' plate at the 300 yard line 5 for 5 the day I sighted the scope in. Never tried anything past 100 on paper..... yet.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,588 Senior Member
    Savage 30-06 shooting Fusion 165s w/Nikon prostaff bdc on top.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    Ditto
    Zee wrote: »
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,623 Senior Member
    Been thinking hard about this one, I think the rifle would be the DPMS LR308 AP4 with a Leupold Mark IV and the tactical milling reticle.
    The 3rd hash mark should be pretty much dead on at 300 yards with the 165 grain SST's.

MarkIVTactclemillingreticle_zps857a153d.png
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,616 Senior Member
    I have five rifles and scopes that should be easily capable of it, but the only one I'm somewhat confident with at 300 yards is the AR15 in .223 (68 grain Hornady match) with 20" heavy barrel and Nikon 6-18x40 BDC. I have not yet gotten around to much shooting beyond 100 yards.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    I would get my minions to shoot at the target................ Whats the point in having minions if you have to do it yourself.............and you get to blame them if they miss.

If I had to do it myself I would probably use the T3 Super Varmint in 22-250.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....