Build Question

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 853 Senior Member
Hello
I have access to a Winchester XTR made in 1988, it rough and ready but the action is good and has a magnum boltface which is what I'm wanting, the next best I can do is an older Remington BDL , it is in far superior all round condition however the price is some 400nzd dollars dearer and the stock though nice would go anyway.

Is there any reason that the Winchester would not make a good base for an accurate 7mm magnum build
Thanks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    None at all. My NRA Match Rifle is built on one of the post-'64's and it does the job quite nicely. Losing the barrel, or at least having the chamber end bobbed and the threads re-cut gets rid of the loose fit typical of the Winchesters. Nothing wrong with the action at all, and certainly nothing wrong with the trigger. I consider the factory safety and trigger of the Winchester the superior of the two.

What the Remington gets you is a somewhat larger aftermarket - also slightly more easily navigated as there are fewer 700 variants. As the Remington action is a round tube, it is somewhat easier for most smiths to square up in a lathe, but these things can be done on the flat bottomed Winchester as well.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 853 Senior Member
    Thank you BigSlug
    I have spent most of the morning on the internet and haven't gotten the info you have provided in one post.
    Yes the barrel will be replaced and the stock too, the action trued etc.

It does seem the remmy would be an easier task but hey I cannot think of a single person I know over here that has a build on a winchester, seem a good enough reason for me so long as it is feasible
    I'd plan on running 162gr amax or possibly the 168 bergers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?