Tracking just got easier...

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,812 Senior Member
This morning's view from my front door:

snow_zps95902b8a.jpg
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,013 Senior Member
    That looks about perfect, hope it does not get crunchy by opening morning.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,780 Senior Member
    Good time to Stake a turkey out there.........You know last supper and all
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Man that's beautiful. Mind sharing what elevation you're at?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,812 Senior Member
    Man that's beautiful. Mind sharing what elevation you're at?

2383 ft. Not very high but pretty far north.

Ayn Rand
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Good time to Stake a turkey out there.........You know last supper and all

There are no turkeys left to stake. BooBoo hasn't returned, either.

Ayn Rand
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    You can have that stuff.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    You can have that stuff.

It can be a PITA, but I enjoy cold more than heat. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and hate visiting in summer. Large biting insects, venomous snakes, and 90°F and 95% humidity, is enough for me to embrace a little snow. It'll be 21°F tonight. Deer hangin' weather.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    It can be a PITA, but I enjoy cold more than heat. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and hate visiting in summer. Large biting insects, venomous snakes, and 90°F and 95% humidity, is enough for me to embrace a little snow. It'll be 21°F tonight. Deer hangin' weather.

It gets just as hot, muggy and buggy here as it does down on the Gulf coast. It just doesn't start getting that way quite as early in the year. Usually not stupid hot til late June or so, some years earlier. By mid-August I'm hating Summer and ready for cool weather. If the heat lingers well into September, I'm cursing the fates.

Unless it's an unusually mild Winter, by mid-February I'm ready to move far enough South to never be cold again.
    But yeah, if it's hunting season bring on the cold. Years a go when I first started killing deer on anything that could remotely be called a regular basis we'd just get 'em dressed and skinned and hang 'em whole in the shade.
    These days it seems like it's usually a scramble to get them quartered and in the ice chest before you lose meat.
    These days it seems like it's usually a scramble to get them quartered and in the ice chest before you lose meat.

This the main reason I stopped early season bow hunting. Too hot to hang a deer. I prefer to hang 'em for at least a few days. Two years ago we were -2°F at Thanksgiving and I had a deer-sicle. Damn thing didn't thaw enough to butcher until Christmas.

Ayn Rand
    cpj wrote: »
    I kinda hate you.

Only kinda? I must be slippin'.

What are the temps in MOzambique?

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    This the main reason I stopped early season bow hunting. Too hot to hang a deer. I prefer to hang 'em for at least a few days. Two years ago we were -2°F at Thanksgiving and I had a deer-sicle. Damn thing didn't thaw enough to butcher until Christmas.

They move around the bow opener a little bit these days but traditionally it always opened 10/1. The first deer i ever killed with a bow was on either the 2nd or 3rd day of the hunt. The temps were over 100 each day the whole trip.
    I remember skinning it and the yellowjackets were swarming us and the deer's carcass. Back then I had a buddy who liked the Liver and another buddy who's mom was part Cherokee so I saved the hides for her. They used them to teach the kids the old ways of making moccasins and so forth. So, talk about trying to get a bunch of things on ice in a hurry.

But I've also sat up there shivering on 10/1 wishing I had brought more clothes. It can be a real crapshoot.