Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

13 year old wih "Airsoft" AK gunned down by California Sherrif's Deputy

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
I'm sure most of you have seen this report. I did not comment earlier as the facts as usual were incomplete. The young teen was carrying what appeared to be an AK-47 with his back turned. The LEOs ordered him to stop which he did. They ordered him to drop the weapon which he did not. He then turned, raised the weapon toward them, and was fatally gunned down. The "AK" turned out to be an Airsoft replica. Very, very tragic. The community is up in arms demanding the deputy's head. They are asking why he did not see the orange Airsoft muzzle? Airsofts are very realistic and the early ones did not have the orange muzzle. I read a more comprehensive report today. The muzzle of the Airsoft rifle was broken off. I had basic ROE (Rules Of Engagement) training when I was accepted as a reserve deputy sheriff in the early 1970s. " If an armed suspect appears to be bringing their weapon to bear on you or others shoot to kill"! If an armed suspect is not appearing to bring their weapon to bear on you or others. Draw and aim your weapon with finger off trigger. Loudly order them to drop the weapon! If they do not comply, repeat. If armed suspect appears to be bringing their weapon to bear on you or others shoot to kill. It seems the deputy followed ROE. I personally hate Airsofts. If they are used on a range like paintball or Lasertag OK. If they are used by kids on the streets this can unfortunately happen.

Replies