Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Federal agents' pre-dawn raid on reporter's home raises questions

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
This is a different incident than the one posted before. Looking for husbands unregistered firearms and a "Potato Gun" .......................and happened to find files the wife/reporter had criticizing the air marshals service. don't know the whole story he was/is a Coast Guard civilian employee and I'm not sure what he did/said at work got them involved , especially after the Navy Yard shootings.

Gun cleaning kits are a crime in Maryland.....God help us all. Unless he had GOVT property like issued bore snake cleaning kits or something?

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/10/29/times-plans-legal-action-after-files-seized-in-raid/

"The Coast Guard maintains that it has done nothing wrong in the case and that the investigation into Ms. Hudson's husband is based on legitimate suspicion that he was in possession of firearms illegally.

The warrant outlines how Mr. Flanagan drew the interest of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives after attempting to purchase "possible machine gun parts from a Swedish national."

"The warrant says the information was handed to the Coast Guard's investigative service - because Mr. Flanagan worked at the agency - and it conducted an interview during which "Flanagan was evasive but stated he did receive a 'potato gun' but it was defective and it was thrown away."

The term "potato gun" is "slang used during the illegal importation of silencers," according to the warrant.

Ms. Hudson said her husband did purchase a "potato launcher" from an online company based in Sweden five years ago as a novelty item, but it was discarded within a few weeks because it did not work. She noted that the law enforcement agents who raided her home did not take a "golf ball launcher" that also belonged to her husband as a novelty item."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/28/federal-agents-pre-dawn-raid-on-reporter-home-raises-questions/

"Audrey Hudson’s husband had just left for work on August 6 when suddenly, her dog began barking. The nationally-known journalist walked over to the curtains and peeked outside to discover her Chesapeake Bay home was surrounded by law enforcement officers wearing full body armor.

The phone rang. It was her husband.

“I’m in the driveway,” he said. “The police are here. Open the door.”

And so began Hudson’s nightmare – held captive by armed agents of the U.S. Coast Guard, Maryland State Police and the Department of Homeland Security as they staged a pre-dawn raid in search of unregistered firearms and a “potato gun.”

“I think they found a great way to get into my house and get a hold of my confidential notes and go through every other file in my office."

- Audrey Hudson, journalist

But instead of taking the potato gun, agents seized unrelated government documents and notes from the former Washington Times journalist.

Agents took Hudson’s records during a search for guns and related items owned by her husband, a civilian Coast Guard employee. They also confiscated her legally registered firearms, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The armed agents held Hudson and her husband in the kitchen as they searched their home. At some point, one of the agents asked if she was the same person who had written a series of stories critical of the Federal Air Marshal program in the mid-2000s.

Hudson did indeed author those stories for The Washington Times.

“Those stories were embarrassing to the agency,” she told me.

It wasn’t until five weeks after the pre-dawn raid that Hudson realized agents had taken her private documents – documents that were not listed on the search warrant. At the time she was told that “miscellaneous documents” had been taken.

“I got a call from Homeland Security and they told me I could come pick up the documents,” she said. “The search warrant did not allow them to walk out with those documents. They clearly violated the search warrant.”

It appears the agents were on a fishing expedition. Hudson tells me her home is filled with boxes and boxes of files.

“But they only took five files – and all five had to do with the Federal Air Marshal stories,” she said.

The Coast Guard told The Associated Press its investigator was suspicious that the government documents in her possession were labeled “law enforcement sensitive.” However, they were returned after concluding Hudson had obtained them under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act.

But that doesn’t explain why the Coast Guard took her personal, handwritten notes. Nor does it explain why the Coast Guard accessed her personal Facebook page.

“I think they found a great way to get into my house and get a hold of my confidential notes and go through every other file in my office,” she said.

The Washington Times said Friday it is preparing legal action to fight what it called an unwarranted intrusion on the First Amendment.

“While we appreciate law enforcement’s right to investigate legitimate concerns, there is no reason for agents to use an unrelated gun case to seize the First Amendment protected materials of a reporter,” Times Editor John Solomon said.

The Coast Guard defended their actions. A spokesman said the warrant authorized police to search the family’s home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.

It should be noted that neither Hudson nor her husband have been arrested and no charges have been filed.

“We have absolutely no idea what this is all about,” Hudson told me.

I’ve got a pretty good idea. It’s about the federal government trying to intimidate an American journalist.

The Obama administration has a history of targeting journalists in their effort to root out leaks. The Associated Press noted that the raid on Hudson’s home came one month after Attorney General Eric Holder toughened the Justice Department’s rules for seizing reporters’ phone records, notes or emails using federal subpoenas or search warrants.

“This really can’t stand,” Hudson told me. “You cannot come into a journalist’s home under false pretenses with a bogus warrant and just waltz out with confidential files.”

So if you’re doing the constitutional math, I’d say the Obama administration has violated the Hudson family’s first, second and fourth amendment rights.

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that state police and federal officers would come into my house at 4:30 in the morning to take my files without a federal subpoena,” she said.

It’s really not all that surprising the Obama administration would use a potato gun to trample the constitutional rights of an American citizen.

It’s a perfect tool for shredding potatoes – and the U.S. Constitution.

The Associated Press contributed to this report."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "The solution to 1984 is 1776!" Do we need to rewrite the Declaration of Independence, or just use the original one?
    Jerry
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Potato bad. Golf ball okay. ???????
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    "Potato gun" is slang for a suppressor? Anyone else ever hear this?
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    New to me...

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    I've heard of using a potato as a silencer.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock

You be quiet. I don't need the feds hitting me with a $200 tax on every spud in my garden. :jester:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member

That's about the best I could come up with........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Can we return the favor- - - - -do a few no-knock raids on these government scumbags' homes in the middle of the night? Surely they wouldn't mind- - - -they do it to us!
    Jerry
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Set the beef between the reporter and the feds aside, I'm curious as to why the Coasties were there helping to serve the warrant? I get the MSP being there, and (stupid) arguments can be made for DHS and BATFE, but unless I'm missing something it seems to me that the only member of the Coast Guard who should have been there was the homeowner. :uhm:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,317 Senior Member
    Could have been CGIS
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Regardless.......illegal search and seizure. Some agency needs to hang for this..............hope they get their butts sued off!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Wow - a pre-dawn raid by a horde of Coast Guardsmen and agents and cops from a total of 3 different agencies, and...wait for it...the homeowner wasn't shot? Not even his dog? Aren't they supposed to murder somebody when they do this?
    horselips wrote: »
    Wow - a pre-dawn raid by a horde of Coast Guardsmen and agents and cops from a total of 3 different agencies, and...wait for it...the homeowner wasn't shot? Not even his dog? Aren't they supposed to murder somebody when they do this?

They didn't have a dog and the gov't agents caught him outside in the driveway. No need to kick in his door and kill him/his dog for his potato gun. They did steal his wife's property that WASN'T listed on the warrant.

So if you’re doing the constitutional math, I’d say the Obama administration has violated the Hudson family’s first, second and fourth amendment rights.

Ya gotta love FOX News spin cycle. It was the Coast Guard, MSP, and DHS that violated the Hudson's rights. Even if Obama himself ordered the raid, these goons were the individuals "just following orders".

Adam J. McCleod

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

Ya gotta love FOX News spin cycle. It was the Coast Guard, MSP, and DHS that violated the Hudson's rights. Even if Obama himself ordered the raid, these goons were the individuals "just following orders".

Maybe so Cali but I haven't watched FOX News in at least5 months and don't you think it's past time our Teflon CinC took responsibility for somethiing? Anything?

Edit, yes the individual goons are first line responsible.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Government and the police will take freedom to the exact degree that the people will tolerate it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Government and the police will take freedom to the exact degree that the people will tolerate it.

Well, so far those who haven't tolerated it went down in a hail of bullets and nothing changed. Or in some cases a hail of OC. And the survivors had the full legal and financial force of the government thrown against them and ended up in a Federal prison.

And if you organize about it and the government hears about it, you end up on some kind of "hate group list", usually compiled by some private progressive group. Look at even the Tea Party.
    All i know is the government is very jealous of it's power. Especially it's power to take life. And if an individual cop decides you're going to jail, you can quote the constitution all you want to but you're going to jail. Even if he has to call 50 of his closest friends for help.

So you tell me, how do we turn this thing around?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member

It's to late.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    It's to late.

Does everyone else agree?
    Maybe so Cali but I haven't watched FOX News in at least5 months and don't you think it's past time our Teflon CinC took responsibility for somethiing? Anything?

Edit, yes the individual goons are first line responsible.

Tyrants are only as powerful as those that follow them. The agents that do their bidding and the citizens that sit aside. I wish the CinC would take responsibility for something, but I'd be ecstatic if the minions stood up and said, "No. I will not do this. I swore an oath."

I know, it is just a fantasy.

Adam J. McCleod

Does everyone else agree?

Yes. I no longer think an election can restore our freedoms.

Adam J. McCleod

Yes. I no longer think an election can restore our freedoms.

So then, we leave our children and grandchildren with the shredded, dried up carcass of this once great Republic and what do we tell them when they ask, "How did y'all let this happen?"
    So then, we leave our children and grandchildren with the shredded, dried up carcass of this once great Republic and what do we tell them when they ask, "How did y'all let this happen?"

No, I said an election wouldn't fix this. There are other options.

Adam J. McCleod

No, I said an election wouldn't fix this. There are other options.

Yes, I caught that not so subtle nuance.
    In any event, I picked up one of those, If it fits it ships, boxes from my local PO a few days ago. And the ol' lady is wanting Zombie pocky lisp wood for the stove, so while I've got the saw out, I'll let you know. But it's going to be a busy weekend around here.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, so far those who haven't tolerated it went down in a hail of bullets and nothing changed. Or in some cases a hail of OC. And the survivors had the full legal and financial force of the government thrown against them and ended up in a Federal prison.

And if you organize about it and the government hears about it, you end up on some kind of "hate group list", usually compiled by some private progressive group. Look at even the Tea Party.
    All i know is the government is very jealous of it's power. Especially it's power to take life. And if an individual cop decides you're going to jail, you can quote the constitution all you want to but you're going to jail. Even if he has to call 50 of his closest friends for help.

When over half the population are mostly or entirely dependent on the government for their sustenance, housing, and general well being, and don't give a rats crusty butt what happens to freedom as long as the check arrives on time, then things will get worse. They will ALWAYS vote the candidate into office that offers them the most free stuff and more government handout money into their pockets. This quote sums it up succinctly: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship."-- Alexander Tyler We're getting distressingly close to the end game.

There cannot and will not be any change until the government and police do something so egregious that even the freeloaders become extremely fearful, and either an election turns out the filthy lawmakers on the streets, or a limited civil war ensues. The former is desired, but the latter is chancy at best. Any limited civil war could easily degenerate into a general civil war with the police, national guard, and a large part of the military engaged against the populace. With only 3% of the population extremely determined and extremely enraged this country could be brought into chaos in a month or less. Within a week, most big population centers would be in anarchy with power, water, and food deliveries cut off. And it would get worse from there.

So as long as the police and government don't do anything so egregious to cause an uprising in the 49% or less of the population to cause an uprising they are safe to do what they will in limited scale. Look at NYC, for example. The 'Stop an Frisk' business went on unchallenged for a long time before the velvet handcuffs chafed enough that cries of racism finally changed things. "It isn't happening to me, so why should I worry" crowd didn't care as long as it was not their rights being trampled. Slow directed conditioning over the last century has made the people there accepting of things that are well beyond what would be acceptable elsewhere. Like NYC gun control laws. They were passed by the NYC government and mayor to protect political cronies from being shot when shaking down the immigrant merchants taking their days or weeks receipts to the bank. Bet not many knew that little bit of history. I guess you could say that the NYC gun laws were racist at their inception. And it has been the norm for so long that people in NYC, as a whole, have been conditioned to believe that guns only belong in the hands of the police and the military, and that firearms ownership by civilians should be controlled in the extreme. Pavlovian response?
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams