How to remove a stuck case in a resizing die?

2»

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Hey KDKorps........this is why we don't have a separate reloading section.......members here will figure this stuff out in normal conversation.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    It worked.

I threaded something for the first time, and I am glad it was brass and not steel. The 17/64's hole was fine and the 5/16-24 tap cut into it easily.

At first I used a 1/2" electrical conduit coupler as a spacer but it belled immediately. I switched to a Craftsman 1/2 in socket and it backed it right out.

FWIW I bought a spare die set from LEE, the RGB die set for $17.00 delivered, not too bad for a backup.

I tapped something, a new man skill checked off. Now if I am ever brave enough to thread the outside of something. At least I have the metric / SAE set to do it.

Thank you again for your help.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    "I love it when a plan comes together!"- - - - -Now you can try tapping something like a rifle receiver for scope mounts, where you only get to make 4-5 threads into a blind hole with a 6-48 tap and even one mistake ruins a gun worth a couple of thousand dollars! That's when the pucker factor gets extreme!

Proud of ya- - - -add a few points to your man card!
    :worthy:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Good deal, Dan! Using a die to cut threads on the outside of a piece of steel is actually more easier, for me. Just have to make for sure and certain the die is started square to the piece to be threaded when you start. There's a few simple tricks to make that happen, though. Short pieces that can be held in a drill press chuck and the die flat on the table, and held with a wrench while hand turning the chuck is one.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Good deal, Dan! Using a die to cut threads on the outside of a piece of steel is actually more easier, for me. Just have to make for sure and certain the die is started square to the piece to be threaded when you start. There's a few simple tricks to make that happen, though. Short pieces that can be held in a drill press chuck and the die flat on the table, and held with a wrench while hand turning the chuck is one.

Somewhere in my fantasies I will thread a barrel to take either a brake or other attachment.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I will thread a barrel to take either a brake or other attachment.

That's almost always a lathe operation, due to the necessity for a muzzle thread to be EXACTLY concentric with the bore. Even the slightest contact between a brake, suppressor, or flash hider and a bullet ruins accuracy.
    Jerry
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,665 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Send me the die before you mess with it much more. I've got the regular stuck case remover kit, but I've had better luck drilling and tapping the case with a 5/16-24 thread and using an Allen bolt, a flat washer, and a 1/2" socket to pull the case. you'll need to remove the decapper stem first, which can be a bit of a challenge if it's bent already.
    Jerry

This! Jerry saved my rear after I had a similar problem!

Opps I guess I should read the whole thread...Glad you got it fixed!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    That's almost always a lathe operation, due to the necessity for a muzzle thread to be EXACTLY concentric with the bore. Even the slightest contact between a brake, suppressor, or flash hider and a bullet ruins accuracy.
    Jerry

:that: Some things absolutely require a lathes precision to accomplish. Brakes, barrel threading, suppressors, and other things have to have that precision to work as intended. The good thing is that running a lathe or mill is easy to learn; the bad thing is it takes a tractor trailer load of chips to get good at it. I'm still learning. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Speaking of hands-on learning- - - -our fledgling machinist trainee has been pretty quiet lately. I wonder if there's a surprise Franken-project coming out of Mozambique?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    A broken shell remover will work. I've never tried it tho. I just heard it somewhere.
    Speaking of hands-on learning- - - -our fledgling machinist trainee has been pretty quiet lately. I wonder if there's a surprise Franken-project coming out of Mozambique?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

Good question. When I got my lathe back in the early 1980s, that meant I didn't have to beg time on someone else's lathe. I spent a LOT of time making chips when I got it set up. Took something pretty special to get me out of the shop on one of my days off. And then I got the mill, and later on, the metal shaper, and you couldn't remove me with dynamite!

Something mighty peaceful about running them and making stuff you used to have to buy or pay others to do for you. I've lost track of time MANY a day in the shop. Walk outside and it's dark and I'm hungry. No wonder! I went into the cave around 9:00 a.m. and it's past 7:00 p.m.! :rotflmao: Time flies when you're doing something you love.

2»