Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

10 Gun control questions????

2»

Replies

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Thanks folks.
    agewon wrote: »
    Very well done. The statistical facts were highlighted well, and the writers opinion was clear and concise.
    I'd actually like your permission to repost this. I won't mention sources, but I would like to mention the writers age.

Fine with me.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    There's a lot of good stuff in that article. Very well spoken and laid out.
    There are a lot of nit-picky grammatical things that should probably be fixed before she turns in the final draft, but the "meat" of the paper is excellent.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think she knows that part of it has to be fixed before the final turn in.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    10 Questions? I only have a couple. I think too many questions and talking points clouds the real issues.

1. Why was the Second Amendment drafted into the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution?
    Some of our Forfathers and framers of the Constitution felt that there is always a threat of a tyrant being elected to office so the Second Amendment was added to help prevent that possibility.
    There are a few versions of it. The one ratified by congress and listed in the National Archives reads:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, then-Secretary of State reads:
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Some people make a big deal over this, but to my relatively untrained mind, both of these versions are close enough to mean the same. From what I have read the purpose was the same in that the forefathers and framers felt strongly enough about the threat of a tyrant elected to the presidency engineering a coup and taking over our govermnet and taking away our freedoms and rights and our way of life, that they felt that an armed population would be a deterent to the threat of a tyrantical politician overtaking the government and forming a dictatorship.

My second question would be:
    Is the Second Amendment still a valid document in this day and age?
    My answer would be, most definitely. People don't really change. There is just as much threat of this happening today as there was 222 years ago. If the Obama Administration hasn't proven that, nothing will. Obama has rammed legislation through congress with his slick talk and he has used the executive order more than any other president in history. People like him scare me.
    Anyway, those are my two questions and answers. I see no reason for 10 questions or 10 discussion points as too many will dilute the main purpose of the Second Amendment. These two questions explain it in full and very simply.
    One more point, I really don't care to hear arguments about accident statistics or suicide rates. In my opinion, the fact that an armed populace might deter a dictator from taking over our government trumps all other arguments.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Try Glen Beck's book "Control" very good anticipation of the debate. Question and answer.
    Tracey, I still stand by what I said in my first post, but this is an excellent basis for a great paper. Your daughter is going to be an excellent citizen. She already is.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FurciferFurcifer New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    It's really good, and while the arguments are correct, it's really not the fundamental basis for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. I would caution her as much as I would like to caution Wayne LaPierre about getting sucked into "justification" arguments. There is no reason whatsoever to "justify" a NATURAL RIGHT, that is 'endowed by our Creator'. Another good analysis of the Amendment's language is in the Heller decision, where it talks about the "Prefatory clause" and the "Operative clause" of the Amendment. SCOTUS defines the meaning of "well-regulated militia", the adjective, "well-regulated" itself, "security of a free state", etc. There is a question and an answer for the meaning of each of these terms. As a matter of fact, the Heller decision actually offers us the proper argument to bring to the court to overturn the GCA and NFA as well, since it follows that individual MILITARY ARMS, most appropriate and effective for use in the modern militia, should be MOST protected by the Amendment, and not the most restricted, as they currently are.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    Have restrictive gun control measures in other developed countries such as England resulted in a decrease in intentional homicide rates?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Do you trust a government that does not trust you with a gun?
    Do you trust a government that does not trust you with a gun?

Great Question P.K. And no I don't trust them. My question to them is why screw with our constitutional rights when they know why this is happenin. Everywhere there's a mass shooting nearly is in a "Gun Free Zone." They know this as well as we do, so why do the LibTards insist on taking our rights away? Because they really don't give a damn about our rights in the first place. What they really give a damn about is having control.