Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Endangered Species Act turns 40

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Like most fed legislation, one side views the ESA as overreaching and the other side feels it doesn't reach far enough.

From the article:
Could the Endangered Species Act be invoked to shut down CO2-emitting coal plants? "You could make that legal argument, but the political reaction would be very intense," Dave Owen, a law professor at the University of Maine, told Outside Online.

If the Feds decide to shut down coal plants in the name of "endangered" species they can make a case to shut down/control EVERYTHING.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/midlife-crisis-endangered-species-act-turns-40-years-old-8C11053026
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I think that would be a tremendous overreach based on science that, admittedly, is a bit controversial.

If we put restrictions on coal plants, seems mercury emissions would be the more credible and immediate danger to use.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I think that would be a tremendous overreach based on science that, admittedly, is a bit controversial.

No argument from me, but they are obviously considering it. The Global Warming zealots do not care about science, unless it supports their cause.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Lots of people only care about science if it supports their cause....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Lots of people only care about science if it supports their cause....

Naturally, then it becomes 'Scientific' :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member

If we put restrictions on coal plants, seems mercury emissions would be the more credible and immediate danger to use.

Actually, it's the 'fines' in the exhaust gases that escape the filters and scrubbers that are really more of a concern to health. The fine particulate that escapes can travel great distances, and breathing them in over long periods of time can cause respiratory problems, especially in people whose respiratory system has already been compromised.

The means to take out all exhaust particulate has existed for quite a while, but would require more retrofit to the exhaust stream. It involves water mist nozzles to cool the exhaust gas and a bank of HVLP compressors to push the exhaust gas through sparger nozzles in the bottom of a large man made lake to allow the water to absorb and sequester all the mercury and residual particulate in the pond.

The down side is that over time the water would become pretty acidic. Any waterfowl landing on the lake would get their bottom parts eaten off in short order. :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams