Home Main Category Hunting

Secured my goat tag!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
Crappy part is right after I told the rancher me and a friend were going to take the tags....he calls and says he can't use his. Sent out the offer to a few friends, hopefully I hear back soon. Either way, I'M HUNTING GOATS!!!

I was going to pick up some left over B license doe tags, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse for a land owner voucher on a property with some VERY large animals. There have been several 15-17" bucks taken the last few years, and he knows of an 18"....which in Colorado is just a monster.

So, going to spend the rest of the day networking and trying to get someone to pick up this tag....then its time to start getting anxious for the hunt just a few weeks away!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member

    There have been several 15-17" bucks taken the last few years, and he knows of an 18"....which in Colorado is just a monster.
    :yikes:

    To put this into perspective for those that aren't familiar with Colorado pronghorn....In the area where JerryBobCo and I hunt, a 12 incher is certainly respectable, and if you get the chance at one, you're ill-advised to pass it up. Two seasons back, Jerry killed one that went 14.5" on each side, and mine was 14.5 on one side, and 14 on the other. These two were, by far, the largest I'd ever seen, and I figure if Jerry's seen better, it ain't been lately or often. In fact, since Jerry bagged his, he's pretty much decided that he's through launching bullets at goats, since he figures he'd never better the one on his wall.

    It's probably a good thing that there aren't (to my knowledge) any 16-18 inchers in our area. Were I to target one, I'd probably be so fixated on the horns that I'd blow a hole through them.

    Good luck to ya, Dan.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Well Mike......these goats ain't TOO far from you guys. Same unit, but from what I gather this family has been doing everything they can to keep and promote large bucks on their land. He even has a few exceptional bucks he ID's by their horns (for those unfamiliar, just like deer/elk, goats horns all look unique) that are strictly off limits if you want to keep hunting there. The family thins out the smaller bucks on their tags and uses the vouchers for the bigger guys. From what I have priced in the same area, I'm stealing this buck LOL

    edit to add : this is whats POSSIBLE, not a given. A 12-13" respectable goat like Mike speaks of more the norm. But, bigguns DO exist....and thats what keeps us going ;)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    I hope you get a look at an 18"er:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Either way, I'M HUNTING GOATS!!!

    QUOTE]

    I hope it's not old goats cause if it is, there's a few around here that is gona have to hide!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes::rotflmao:

    Good luck on your hunt!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    I'd love to just see it. Of course, I have no personal experience on this ranch, I'm going off what he told me. However, its his wife's families properties that are linked, he makes no money off selling these vouchers. He is just helping them out....so, I imagine there is SOME stretching of the truth lol but hopefully not too much. I do believe the 16's being knocked down. They do exist out there.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    What I can't believe is that you're not sharing this information with me. I might change my mind about shooting another one if I had a crack at one with 16 inch horns.

    [edit]

    FWIW, I spoke to the man who owns the place that Mike, Mosseybuck and I have been hunting. He told me he took one off of his place last year that went 15 1/2 inches.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Well Jerry....there IS one more voucher left.....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Excellent! Glad to hear you get a redemption from the last goat hunt. I expect lots of pics. I don't get to hunt them this year so I want to live vicariously through you. Hope you get a good one. What rifle you planning to use?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Well when I was going to just pick up a left over doe tag for a state wild life area I was leaning heavy on the 308. But now that I'm paying money to get on land, and I'm looking at a trophy....I think the 300 is coming out to play. Gonna pick up some goat ammo for it this week and try it out.

    The 308 will get its chance though, left over white tail doe tag for 1st plains rifle and probably for the extra late season doe antelope tag. Got the 308 bore sighted today, going to try and get out of work early this week and head up to the sight in range.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

    FWIW, I spoke to the man who owns the place that Mike, Mosseybuck and I have been hunting. He told me he took one off of his place last year that went 15 1/2 inches.

    He must have had that one tied up in his barn. It sure warn't cavorting around in broad daylight while we were there.:tooth:

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    How big are the properties you guys hunt?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    In all honesty, I'm not sure. I'm gonna hazard a guess of 5-8K acres. I used to shoot an 8K acre pdog town, and this place seems to be about the same size to me. I don't know for a fact that I've seen all of it, though.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    well, on places that small, it could be real easy for a big bruiser to keep hopping back and forth on the properties.

    Sure is easier to hunt the whole place that way. Place I was on last year was 20k, took FOREVER to just drive around the place on the outsides searching for herds to put stalks on
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    Ummm, extra tags you say? Hmmm. I know a guy that'll be out there, the end of the month, :tooth:

    I will be out that way, kinda. Good luck, Dan. Sounds like a great ranch. I hope you drill and 18" er.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    well, on places that small, it could be real easy for a big bruiser to keep hopping back and forth on the properties.

    I remember when I lived in Louisiana, I was invited to dove hunt on the oldest continuously family-owned plantation left in the state. A couple weeks before opening day, the owner took my boss and me for an orientation ride around the property. Seemed to take forever, and I couldn't fathom one guy personally owning so much land. Yeah.....all 2200 acres......:rotflmao:

    Since then, I've driven over ten times that amount just to get to a pdog town more times than I can count. First pdog shoot I went on, the guy guiding me said he owned only 35K. Said he just wasn't much into ranching anymore.

    OTOH, a bit less than an acre of ground in Louisiana will support a cow and calf unit, but here it takes closer to 100.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    How big are the properties you guys hunt?

    Dan, I learned a few years ago that some around these parts consider it downright rude to ask a man how much land he owns. It's sort of like asking how much money you have in your bank account.

    I guess I'm just rude.

    The place that you hunted with us is about 5,000 acres. The place we hunt now borders the place you hunted to the north. When we first started hunting there, it consisted of about 25,000 acres. However, the owner sold some of it off, so I'm not sure how much of it there is now. I know it's a lot, though.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Good Hunting.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I think that is just grand indeed. Good luck hunting and I do hope you get one. :yousuck:
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Dan, I learned a few years ago that some around these parts consider it downright rude to ask a man how much land he owns. It's sort of like asking how much money you have in your bank account.

    I guess I'm just rude.

    The place that you hunted with us is about 5,000 acres. The place we hunt now borders the place you hunted to the north. When we first started hunting there, it consisted of about 25,000 acres. However, the owner sold some of it off, so I'm not sure how much of it there is now. I know it's a lot, though.

    now THAT is a nice chunk of land! that is bigger then the place I hunted last year and that felt huge
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    still trying to get rid of this other tag, gettin a bit frustrating lol but I'm still excited, thanks for all the well-wishes. I'm pretty stoked to make up for last years mistakes
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement