Which Milsurp pistol would you choose for Concealed Carry?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,428 Senior Member
If this belongs in the PD Forum, please forgive me, but I thought since it was talking more about the guns than carrying it should go here.

Anyway, Dad is asking for the Glock 19 that I'm borrowing from him back so that Mom can use it. This leaves me without a compact CC pistol. Yes, I could carry my fullsize 1911, but I would rather get something smaller.

So, since I am applying for a C&R anyway, I figured I'd go for one of those.

So, would you choose a Polish P64, a Bulgarian Makarov, or a CZ82 if you were in my situation? I'm new to this arena (C&R, not CC), so any info is greatly appreciated!
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    None of the choices you listed fit my ham hands, they have the same problem that the Walther PP/PPKs do, in that the slide rides across the web of my hand. If I shoot more than a few rounds, I end up with two bloody tracks.
    I'm glad I got to shoot BigDans' CZ82 at the 2010 get together and found out it doesn't "fit" me before I bought one.

Of course, YMMV and if it had fit me, I was planning on getting the 82
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The P64 looks like a good choice, but only if you tune up the trigger pull a little. Wolf has a good spring kit that lightens the trigger pull considerably, and you can make it a lot more user-friendly with some careful polishing of the trigger mating surfaces with a Dremel and a Cratex wheel. Just don't change any angles or sear mating surfaces- - - -do a mirror-polish only. Mine responded very well to that treatment. It's got a 1st.-round double action capability, then single action for the rest of the magazine.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,778 Senior Member
    If you can find one- a Star Model B. A 9mm 1911:
    http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/

If you are looking for one that is a "current" on that would be available at AIM or something, then I would go for a Makarov or CZ-82- leaning toward the -82 for capacity and C&L capability.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    From what's on the C&R market right now, the P-64, or a MAK if you can find one. The 12 shot CZ 82 would be fine too, but it is sorta big in comparison and would be heavier and more bulky.

Also, the P-38s/P-1s are for sale too, but they are full size pistols. About the only other one offered C&R right now is totally wrong for the job, those big Russian Tokerov revolvers that fire anemic powered ammo.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    I held a Makarov, it should work if you can get ammo.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Virginia BoyVirginia Boy Member Posts: 213 Member
    Shooter 3, I have all 3, I don't carry any of them concealed, but if I were to choose
    1 over the others, I would choose the CZ82, because of the 12 rnd. magazine.
    Since they all fire the same rnd. ( 9x18mm, Makarov), power is not an issue.
    The ergonomics, of the Makarov & the CZ82 are quite similar, the 82 having a thicker grip.
    Accuracy is about the same with all three,( Very good).
    The P64 on the other hand is unpleasant to shoot, the grip is narrow and hard, and recoil is accessive.
    The double action on the P64 is horrible,( as in heavy) and the single too light.
    I changed the hammer spring to 18 lbs., ( original 24lbs), and the recoil spring to 20 lbs, which greatly improved the double action pull, & helped the recoil, this is still a bit much tho.
    They are all Da/Sa, the difference, the the CZ82 can be carried cocked and locked, where the others can't. Hope this helps.
    Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
    shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.
    I sent a pic. of the CZ82 but I guess , you can only print 5, so here it is.
    incidently, they are all steel, and well made.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    From your list the Makarov would be my choice; I have carried mine on several occasions!
    Makarovpic2.jpg?t=1241851619
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • PAAndyPAAndy Member Posts: 50 Member
    I have bigger hands so the CZ 82 would be my choice.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,087 Senior Member
    I have a CZ 82 and am impressed with the gun and the round. A P 64 in 9x18 is probably a good choice, too. A little more conceilable. But I see it's for a C&R purchase so I'd get the CZ.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Classic Arms has the P-64 on their C&R list. I got one about a month ago.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,354 Senior Member
    I carry a Makarov as CCW; local laws won't allow anything bigger. Will switch it for a CZ-82 or 83 (Same gun in .380ACP) as soon as my gun fund would allow me....why? More rounds and better sights. both are sturdy, accurate and ultra-reliable.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    From your list the Makarov would be my choice; I have carried mine on several occasions!
    Makarovpic2.jpg?t=1241851619

All ya need is an onion to go with that Vodka and you have a Russian lunch:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    I was gonna say needs some tobacco in there. Then he'd have his own ATF.
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    I've shot several Maks, and I've been impressed by the reliability and handling of them. That would be my choice, and they are popular enough that it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get aftermarket parts.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    If I may, 9x18 guns are my specialty. The most accurate and reliable is the Makarov PM. An East German gun or EG Makarov has the best fit and finish and is C & R. They can be found on Gunbroker for $350 to$400 and they are good to carry the day you get them. They are thin at 1inch wide, and hold 8+1 rounds. Reliability and accuracy are as good as any milsurp in the world today. The sights could be better. Extremely concealable.

Second in my book is the cz82. Trigger is good to very good, excellent accuracy, 12+1 capacity. Wider and not as concealable. It is a complicated gun to take apart and it's reliability is very good. You can get excellent night sights from CZ USA for $90 or so. The finish sucks, but if you intend to conceal it no big deal. They can be had for under $200.

Third on my list is the P64. It holds 6+1, finish and workmanship are excellent, but parts are impossible to find. I own three of them. Two to shoot and one for parts if needed. They are around $180 each. They are the most concealable of this group. They work best with $30 in springs and a bit of tuning. If you are willing to invest $100 in gunsmithing and parts it can be an awesome conceal gun, your total cost about $300.

Ammo is readily available online, but only shoot the heaviest stuff in a Makarov PM. Better than a .380, less than a 9mm.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Well, since you specified Milsurp, how about the Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless in .380. It was issued to U.S. General Officers from WWII until the 1970's.

You can buy one right now on GunBroker for $1600.:yikes:

Seriously, though, why not get another Glock 19?

Personally, I favor a snub-nose .38 for CC, but they're not Milsurp.

ed
    Fat, white, sixty, unemployed and just DIGGIN' on this "Change" thing!
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    My CZ-82 has become one of my favorite carry pistols and my full-time truck pistol.

PC290006.jpg
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,010 Senior Member
    I've carried the CZ82 for about five years. Get a good IWB holster and you'll forget you have it on.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Martin-AMartin-A Member Posts: 111 Member
    Although I do not own a CZ82, I do have 2 other CZ firearms and to me, any CZ handgun would be my first choice. The price, the accuracy and the fit to the hand makes any CZ a good buy.
    Thought I would spice this thread up a bit. While I realize that most folks on this
    forum, would prefer a hand full of navy beans & a large drinking straw, over a.32ACP
    pistol, I will include one anyway. The CZ70, in .32ACP is 6.5" long x 4.5" high x 1" thick.
    It has an 8 round magazine, it is Da/Sa, and can be carried cocked & locked.
    It is very accurate, and pleasant to shoot, it is of steel construction.
    It can be bought for around $ 160.00, it is not C&R.