Home Main Category Clubhouse

Anyone ever do the 12 days of Christmas? Kinda fun, really

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
In England, an old tradition is to give your special someone a small gift each day of the Christmas season, the 12 days of Christmas, from Christmas day till Epiphany (Jan 6). No, despite what advertisers tell you, the 12 days of Christmas are not those prior to Dec 25, but after.

For those who don't know, the Christian celebration of Christmas therefore lasts 12 days, Epiphany being the traditional day on which the 3 kings appeared.

Of course there's the famous song, the boyfriend giving his gal a bunch of silly stuff.

But in real life, planning the gifts around a central theme and giving your best lady one small gift each day, finally a nice generous gift on Epiphany is a treat. For example, a few years ago I gave my gf a small bottle of cologne, high quality face cream, makeup (yes I sneaked and found her brands), and all sorts of good stuff, one per day, and on Jan 6, a prepaid visit to the spa.

It takes a bit of planning but I can guarantee that you'll be a hero. Your best gal will proclaim your humor and generosity to everyone -- and the gifts don't have to be expensive, just well thought out.

A fun thing to think about next year.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    One is enough
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    My true love took down the decorations and the tree yesterday.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    In England, an old tradition.........For those who don't know, the Christian celebration of Christmas therefore lasts 12 days, Epiphany being the traditional day on which the 3 kings appeared.

How right you are Sam.

Myself, I am in the middle of the Feast of the Holy Innocents,
    but looking forward to St. Sylvester day( the 31st)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROO049ActxDxzrxITiIFMRS57mwHHPycrjRDIWQr1PV4qB2_vZ0g

:wink:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    It takes a bit of planning but I can guarantee that you'll be a hero. Your best gal will proclaim your humor and generosity to everyone -- and the gifts don't have to be expensive, just well thought out.

Are you INSANE!!!! We're MEN. This kind of consideration, forethought, planning, and romance is usually beyond us - reserved either for desperate attempts to hook up with the extremely hot who are possibly out of your league, or for keeping a sinking ship afloat. Breaking it out in an established, stable setting only increases later expectations, making the setting LESS stable. Even if you do go in for the Christmas stuff, and aren't actually just skating around its borders for social convention's sake, this is a BAD idea.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That is sort of like a cat, if cats could talk, telling Me how much fun it is to muck about with balls of yarn.
    Meh.. and half a woof.

Now hitting a compound bucket at 1,000 meters, with a 100 year old Gustav Mauser rifle in 6.5 mm, now thats fun !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,734 Senior Member
    I'm game...what is 12 times zero?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Zero, gee, did We have fun yet ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Wow, what a bunch a grinches.

And no, Christmas isn't over till Epiphany. Learn to enjoy the time with loved ones (if you have any -- from the replies those seem to be in considerable short supply)... ha ha
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    I was sick of Christmas about a week before Thanksgiving!!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    You guys are not looking at the big picture................
    In England, an old tradition is to give your special someone a small gift each day of the Christmas season, the 12 days of Christmas, from Christmas day till Epiphany (Jan 6).

26th Dec Buy yourselves some projectiles...
    27th " " " primers
    28th " brass
    29th " powder
    30th " Dies
    31st " case lube
    etc etc etc

Make sure you get them in a calibre you don't have.

By the time you get to the 12th day you will have enough supplies to go and buy the 'generous' gift for yourself..................a rifle in the chosen calibre.

Tell your wife you are following tradition.

When she starts ing................tell her that you are a 'special someone'.

If she says you are not then ask her why she married you.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    My dog seems a bit sick of it too, after eating the fatted hog.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I was sick of Christmas about a week before Thanksgiving!!

Pardon if I go slightly serious here... Can't say you guys weren't warned to avoid the commercialization and focus on the genuine meanings of Christmas. If I were inured to all the TV ads and hoopla, I'd be sick of it too. But I tune that out and do the church thing (not this year, being cruddy ill) and listen to Handel's Messiah and similar.

There are plenty of what I call "secular Christians" who celebrate Christmas with at least some warmth in their hearts, which is good, but they are often too linked emotionally to the commercialization of the holiday and understandably go toxic about mid-November.

I'm somewhat immunized from that. My Dad was a choirboy in his hometown Episcopal church and I was plunked into the boy's choir at the KC (snooty) Episcopal church where I grew up. Since I love music, especially classical, that was fine, singing Haydn and Mozart and Bach. Three services per Sunday, choir practice weekly plus music to take home and memorize, plus Sunday school, plus youth and other types of church activities, by the time I was 12 I knew my way around the liturgy and church life pretty well. And that has stuck, a bit like shush was saying. So I escape the tinfoil crud that obscures the holiday simply because I genuinely focus and celebrate the real Christmas. Even though I missed midnight mass this year.

So Merry Christmas, gang!

And I tell you truthfully, if you actually do the 12 days of Christmas for your special lady, you will be rewarded greatly. Not expensive, just a bit of forethought.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    That is sort of like a cat, if cats could talk, telling Me how much fun it is to muck about with balls of yarn.
    Meh.. and half a woof.

Now hitting a compound bucket at 1,000 meters, with a 100 year old Gustav Mauser rifle in 6.5 mm, now thats fun !

Agreed, that would be fun. So is giving to loved ones, makes an actual human being who shares your life very happy. Of course we also have the example of Private Pyle who was seen talking to his rifle. It's when the gun answers you back, you know you're a bit too far out on the pier.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Wow, what a bunch a grinches.

You're my hero, Mr. Grinch.
    You always have a bash,
    By watching all the frantic morons shop around until they crash, Mr. Grinch. . .
    You always hope your packages come with gift receipts so that you can
    TAKE YOUR PRESENTS BACK FOR CAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    You are correct Sam, it's the commercialization that I'm fed up with. That and the PC Happy Holidays crap!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    You are correct Sam, it's the commercialization that I'm fed up with. That and the PC Happy Holidays crap!!

The commercialization will drive you nuts if you let it, and also will drain away your appreciation of the better aspects of Christmas. I've learned to tune the crud out and focus on the real stuff.