Home Main Category Clubhouse

I am tired of the justification for our expenditres......

Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior MemberPosts: 733 Senior Member
We got the Buick Rainier, very next day Jerry wrecked & totaled the Ford Explorer that it was replacing. Well I had gotten Mr. Jerry a "Jaw Saw" for part of his Christmas so he could prune some of the overhanging limbs off the hackberry trees in order to safely move his parents motorhome here for storage and not damage the roof/air conditioner on its top. Also, with the generator, he could clear the drive back to the shooting range for the SE Shoot, (It has a 12' handle so he could do the trimming on the ground and it is electric so no gas needed, except for the generator. That should have been good enough justification, right?

Evidently not, last night we heard several loud cracking sounds and when I came out to ask Jerry what that noise was, I looked out our dining room window to see that the cedar tree out by the road had finally dropped the split section that had been threatening to come down for over a year. Luckily, Jerry had come in from Nashville about 15 minutes before it turned loose and Robert had left 10 minutes before it came down, he was in a family convertible! Could've been bad on that car & possibly him. To the right of the upright trees and the left of the bushes is the end of our driveway that Robert had turned to the right out of. That would've put the top of the tree right in his pathway and on its top! YIKES!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Don't buy anything else, cause y'all sure need them soon afterwards :tooth:

That could have been bad news, glad all of you are OK.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Glad everyone's okay. But giving this some thought, do you suppose that you folks somehow angered a forest spirit and the trees are now ganging up against you?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Glad no one was hurt. Those jaw saws look interesting. Do you think you could get Jerry to post a range report Miss Mary?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    What ever you do don't buy any life insurance. :punch:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Cedar trees with cluster trunks are bad about that sort of thing. Glad it broke after everyone was clear!

Something to think about regarding cedar trees; they are really bad about 'wind checking' from strong wind storms. The outside of the tree can look just fine, but the inside of the tree is split all up and down the trunk. What makes cedar trees great for making shingles because the wood splits so cleanly also makes them a little dangerous once they get big and survive a strong wind storm.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    It will just be easer to cut the limbs with it down while doing a feminization session with the new equipment..
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The jaw saw works great- - - - -just plug it in and two neighbors, a son-in-law, and a grandson show up to drop the rest of the tree, cut it up, and split and stack it!

Cedar_tree_12-2013_006.JPG

Cedar_tree_12-2013_001.JPG

Cedar_tree_12-2013_002.JPG

Seriously- - - - -the saw is a really good one. It can be used as a short cutoff saw for pruning, or with an extension handle to increase the worker's reach about 4 feet. I don't know where they get the 12 foot reach figure, unless the user happens to be a NBA basketball player! With the extender attached, a cut 8 feet above one's head shouldn't be a problem, and standing in the bed of pickup truck should extend things accordingly. With my welder/generator on a trailer behind the 4-wheeler, it should make an excellent way to trim shooting lanes around a deer stand, etc.
    Jerry
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Thanks Jerry. Knowing the handle isnt very long is handy information.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I looked the saw up on the web, looks like it would be handy for someone that had a lot of brush to cut and the means for mobile power source.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I guess progress and technology has come to the 'Hollow'.

I think the old way was more fun.............................

USA2010151.jpg

USA2010152.jpg

USA2010154.jpg

There is something to be said for tradition........isn't there Mary.

USA2010129.jpg
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Jerry, you need to take some of that smaller stuff down to the courthouse for the 'spitters and whittlers' to work on! Unless they don't let them gather there anymore.

Glad you had some extra labor available to help out with that mess, too. Looks like there's a lot of red heartwood in that tree. Might be able to find someone that wants it. Used to be woodworkers would look for that stuff to use making small jewelry boxes and such. And lots of bass plugs used to be turned out of that high ground cedar.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Good idea, but it's headed for the uphill neighbor's outdoor furnace. He's the one who keeps the shooting range mowed for the SE shoot, so he's welcome to it. (He's also one of the chainsaw operators cutting it up and saving me a lot of effort!) There's about 18" of the stump left that I might cut up and donate a little whittlin' wood to the courthouse geezers pretty soon!

Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Hey, think of all the winter firewood you have now....lucky no one was under there.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Teach wrote: »
    Good idea, but it's headed for the uphill neighbor's outdoor furnace. He's the one who keeps the shooting range mowed for the SE shoot, so he's welcome to it. (He's also one of the chainsaw operators cutting it up and saving me a lot of effort!) There's about 18" of the stump left that I might cut up and donate a little whittlin' wood to the courthouse geezers pretty soon!

Jerry

That stuff will burn HOT in his furnace! The smell of cedar burning is a good smell, though.

When they tore down the old courthouse in Bradley County and built the new one, they made sure not to replace the benches outside. And ran the whittlin' crowd away. I probably learned a lot of stuff I shouldn't 'a learned when I was little hanging around watching the whittlin'. :silly:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Glad o see you had plenty of help! It also looks like it was a bit rough on the mail box.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
    Actually we removed the mailbox to keep it from getting crushed. It was right in the path of the tree drop!
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Cedar's for makin' stuff, not for burnin'! We've got around eight acres of oaks for burnin and not a single cedar to make all the projects that Debbie wants.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Miss Mary; I'm willing to bet Jerry has ALOT of expenditures that haven't been justified in their purchase :). Just like in my house, I need to play games with the wife whenever I buy a new tool or toy, "well with this table saw, I can make that built-in you've always wanted, or with this new AR, I can protect you from that roving pack of coyotes that've been reported".
    Yes, I do have to work on my methods a bit more.
    Well, the last three major power tools I've received were presents from Mary! That new DeWalt mini-skilsaw that cuts just about anything? She got me one for my birthday! Then there's the guns- - - - -"I like this one- - - -it's mine- - - -go build yourself another one!" I'm not complaining at all!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Cedar's for makin' stuff, not for burnin'! We've got around eight acres of oaks for burnin and not a single cedar to make all the projects that Debbie wants.
    You have to cure cedar too long to make stuff with it. DIL's father let it cure 8 years.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    You will really like that pruner. TKOTCB bought one for her self, and won't even let me use it. LOL. I can't believe that your grass is still green, mine froze to a dull brown color, weeks ago........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO