Another new one for me! No fine

minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior MemberPosts: 714 Senior Member
I really missed having a 30.06 in the stable and came across this deal at our local Scheels Sporting Goods. Its a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 30.06 and got it for $469, less than $500 out the door. 30.06, Nikon 3-9 with BDC and Acutrigger, I thought it was a really good price and bought one.

Bring on the Savage haters!

2F706C7C-0979-4D83-9151-A6706FB0B6D4-1041-0000009F28F2A7BE_zps84e92baa.jpg

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Is that a heavy Barrel?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Sure is a lot of them Savages showing up lately. Nice find!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,257 Senior Member
    Congrats, got to love a bargain and who doesn't love a 30-06.

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Probably be a darn good shooter outta the box. Congrats :guns::guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • AdrianAdrian Member Posts: 65 Member
    Good pick up, congrats. I mean, you suck! :P

No Savage hater here, I like 'em.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I bought a 116 TH XP last fall in 6.5-284 Norma and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I want to upgrade to a Boyds laminate stock, but I'm not sure about the bottom metal...need to do a little research, I guess.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Very nice
    :yousuck:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,592 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Very nice
    :yousuck:

I concur
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Is that a heavy Barrel?

Nope, just looks that way from the pic
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Nice rifle. I am sorely lacking in the .30-06 department.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    That would be hard to pass up at that price, nice find.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    farm boy wrote: »
    Nice rifle. I am sorely lacking in the .30-06 department.

I'm not trying to enable you or suggesting you buy one just to buy one. But to me the .30 '06 should be a part of every man's battery. It's like a .22, .45acp or a 12ga. Plus you can kill dang near anything with one.
    So if you think you might want one, keep your eyes open and maybe you'll run across a deal. It occurred to me just the other day that except for my wife's Christmas present last year, I haven't bought a NIB gun in many years. I'm always cruising the used racks.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    I prefer the 30-30 as my a standard. My platform for my 30 cal is a lever action Marlin 336W. Just something about those old Winchesters and Marlins. And I use iron sites only on those out of 200 yards.

Rootbrain
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    rootbrain wrote: »
    I agree on the 30-06 being a standard for shooters. My platform for my '06 is a lever action Marlin 336W. Just something about those old Winchesters and Marlins. And I use iron sites only on those out of 200 yards.

Rootbrain
    You surely don't have a Marlin lever gun in 30-06. Did you intend to modify this post??? Forgive me for missing your joke........
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    rootbrain wrote: »
    I agree on the 30-06 being a standard for shooters. My platform for my '06 is a lever action Marlin 336W. Just something about those old Winchesters and Marlins. And I use iron sites only on those out of 200 yards.

Rootbrain
    I'd like to see that.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    Having never had a 30 06 myself in nearly 40 years on firearms ownership and hunting I too bought one, an older, but well cared for Remington BDL about 3mths ago.
    I'm liking it alot
    Congrats, fine choice.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I concur
    as do I
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    shooter wrote: »
    You surely don't have a Marlin lever gun in 30-06. Did you intend to modify this post??? Forgive me for missing your joke........

Ooops. My bad. LOL forgot what site I was on when I posted this and my brain farted.

And now been off for awhile. Yeah wouldn't mind seeing a 30-06 lever myself, :-)

Rootbrain