Home Main Category Personal Defense

Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Himself -- Again

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Don't know if this has been discussed, but link was on FNN.

Dang Glocks ,again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tooth:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2014/01/21/connersville-police-chief-shoots-himself-again/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

".........Nurses thought the police chief was kidding .........................."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Ban sweatshirts and fleece jackets. They are dangerous.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Police Chief Negligently Shoots Himself -- Again

FIFY.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I am personal friends with the former Chief of Police of Coral Gables, Florida, a very competent guy and shooter. He had two AD's while on duty with his G22 , and switched to a Sig.

I own many Glocks, and I am not saying they go off by themselves, but then again, there are more than one report of Glock AD's out there.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I do agree that I can't point to any incident of unintended discharge that I have seen or read about where I would say that there was no negligence involved.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    One of our former Police Chiefs had a negligent discharge with his 1911. Supposedly cocked and locked. No system is perfect, especially when combined with the imperfect nature of the human being.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Gawd I love revolvers. As easily distracted as I am by shiny objects, if I had a Glock I'd have shot every house on the block by now.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Build it idiot-proof, and they'll just build better idiots.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member

:that:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Some folks are just dumber than a rock.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,674 Senior Member

Yep...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    When idiot proofing any device, the idiot's inherent ability to circumvent any safety measures is ALWAYS underestimated.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    At least he keeps hitting his target.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    Counceller told Pal-Item.com that the accident was "pure carelessness" on his part. He drove himself to the Fayette Regional Health System. Nurses thought that he was joking.

Well, at least he appears to admit to his mistake, instead of blaming the design of the weapon, the phase of the moon, or assault rifles.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am personal friends with the former Chief of Police of Coral Gables, Florida, a very competent guy and shooter. He had two AD's while on duty with his G22 , and switched to a Sig.

I own many Glocks, and I am not saying they go off by themselves, but then again, there are more than one report of Glock AD's out there.

IMHO

D

Once ouch, but twice? Come on - at least he showed a little smarts enough to change.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    This guy gives new meaning to the term Déjà vu :yikes::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Once ouch, but twice? Come on - at least he showed a little smarts enough to change.

I am not convinced that Glock's are 100% safe. They make a big deal out of their safe pistol design, but statistically that can mean 99.99999% safe and 1 in 10 million is not. I think it is an acceptable design risk, but often we are quick to jump on the user when it can be a mechanical flaw.

I thought about this and every time their is a Glock AD the gun seems to be exonerated. I wonder what response you would get if you created a blog sight "GLOCKAD.COM"? There are millions of Glocks out there, lots of idiots, but I am sure there are a few flawed guns.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Counceller told Pal-Item.com that the accident was "pure carelessness" on his part. He drove himself to the Fayette Regional Health System. Nurses thought that he was joking.

Well, at least he appears to admit to his mistake, instead of blaming the design of the weapon, the phase of the moon, or assault rifles.
    I think he blamed his choice of attire as the culprit, not himself...he really needs a revolver with a "Lawyer" trigger.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I am not convinced that Glock's are 100% safe. They make a big deal out of their safe pistol design, but statistically that can mean 99.99999% safe and 1 in 10 million is not. I think it is an acceptable design risk, but often we are quick to jump on the user when it can be a mechanical flaw.

I thought about this and every time their is a Glock AD the gun seems to be exonerated. I wonder what response you would get if you created a blog sight "GLOCKAD.COM"? There are millions of Glocks out there, lots of idiots, but I am sure there are a few flawed guns.

D

I don't have any trouble believing that any manufacturer can have a dud leave the factory, but with any gun, following the gun rules means that even if there is a malfunction of some kind, the risk of injury is significantly reduced and/or minimized. Could be that the reason the guns keep getting exonerated is that there's no fault in the gun. You know, that whole "Occam's Razor" thing..........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member

D

A glock is what it is, you pull the trigger it goes boom, and a hell of a lot easier than say a double action revolver. It doesn't take all that much pressure on the trigger for it to shoot. I am old school, I will take a pistol with a manual safety any day, it is all natural for me to take the gun from the holster, thumb the safety off then fire the gun. It really kind of surprises me a lot of departments haven't gone back to firearms with a manual safety.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    This was a hot topic in gun magazines at the turn of the century and widely reported in other mainstream news media as well.
    I got my Glock 17 (Gen 2) about that time and shot it a lot. I still have that gun and mine has gone off only when I wanted it to.
    However, the number of "mishaps" with Glocks led to the "New York trigger" and even had some departments having the
    guns modified with an external safety device.

An interesting read from a 1998 Washington Post article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/dcpolice/deadlyforce/police4page1.htm

Reference to retired police sgt.'s patented safety device for modifying Glock pistols to make them "safer".

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/729088/posts
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!