Well that tears it...

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,509 Senior Member
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Light arms supplied by the United States are flowing to "moderate" Syrian rebel factions in the south of the country and U.S. funding for months of further deliveries has been approved by Congress, according U.S. and European security officials.

The weapons, most of which are moving to non-Islamist Syrian rebels via Jordan, include a variety of small arms, as well as some more powerful weapons, such as anti-tank rockets.

The deliveries do not include weapons such as shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles, known as MANPADs, which could shoot down military or civilian aircraft, the officials said.

The weapons deliveries have been funded by the U.S. Congress, in votes behind closed doors, through the end of government fiscal year 2014, which ends on September 30, two officials said.

The apparently steady weapons flow contrasts with the situation last summer, when lethal U.S. aid to the Syrian rebels dried up for a time due to congressional reservations.

Congressional committees held up weapons deliveries for months over fears that U.S. arms would not prove decisive in the rebels' efforts to oust President Bashar Assad and his government and could well end up in the hands of Islamist militants.

A U.S. official familiar with recent developments said national security officials and members of Congress are more confident that weapons delivered to southern Syria are going to, and remaining in, the hands of moderate rebels rather than militant jihadist factions.

Congress approved funding for weapons deliveries to the Syrian rebels in classified sections of defense appropriations legislation, two sources familiar

Now that is out there like this, Iran and Russia will step up their support of Assad...

I am really starting to think this going to end with conventional troops on the ground.
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -I wonder how many of the weapons we supplied to the Afghans to use on the Russians ended up killing or maiming our guys a few years later? My Enfield P-53 rifle found its way to Afghanistan shortly after it was made in 1860, and it was still deadly when my friend bought it at a bazaar in Kabul and brought it back to me. Weapons don't have a shelf life- - - -today's "freedom fighter" artillery shell become tomorrow's IED!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    Is that what Team Obama used to call "Smart Diplomacy?"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I hope the Syrian civil war lasts forever, and kills everybody on both sides. Gee whiz, with the Muslim Brotherhood and AlQaeda on one side, and Hezbollah and the Baathists on the other, which ever side wins, America loses. I hope Russia and Iran step up the arms race to the Syrians, so we, Qatar, and others supporting the rebels can too. Whatever it takes to keep them fighting. As for the Syrian people...what about them?
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    ...I hope Russia and Iran step arm the arms race to the Syrians, so we, Qatar, and others supporting the rebels can too. Whatever it takes to keep them fighting. As for the Syrian people...what about them?

How gullible and credulous some are to buy into the media's propaganda. Sure, it sounds romantic to use the term "rebels" or "freedom fighters" to describe a middle eastern civil war like it's straight out of a T.E Lawrence account but the truth of the matter is that yesterday's Mujahideen turn into today's Taliban or Al -Qaeda.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    How gullible and credulous some are to buy into the media's propaganda. Sure, it sounds romantic to use the term "rebels" or "freedom fighters" to describe a middle eastern civil war like it's straight out of a T.E Lawrence account but the truth of the matter is that yesterday's Mujahideen turn into today's Taliban or Al -Qaeda.

Freedom fighters? Who called them freedom fighters? The Mohammedan jihadists fight for their version of the faith - the concepts of "freedom" or "liberty" don't occur in their culture. I used the term "rebels" as a convenience since there are also supposedly genuine Syrians fighting alongside the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda against the Assad government.

As for T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia), he was not His Britannic Majesty's good servant. Instead of advocating for Arabian independence and sovereignty, Lawrence, an officer in the King's service, presumed a good and proper imperialist, should have conspired with Field Marshall Viscount Allenby to betray, or if necessary, destroy the Arabs after the collapse of the Ottoman Sultanate, and seized the Arabian peninsula, or at least its oil wells and ports, for the British Empire. I can't imagine Robert Clive or Cecil Rhodes missing such an opportunity.

The British won the war and lost the peace in Arabia, and that was all Mohandas Gandhi had to see to know that the British Raj in India was vulnerable. It is thus how jewels are plucked from crowns, as if they were low-hanging fruit.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Politics in those regions of the world are :silly::silly::silly: and make anyone trying to comprehend their reasoning and make sense of it all get an atomic sized (no pun intended) headache :bang::bang::bang:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    I hope the Syrian civil war lasts forever, and kills everybody on both sides. Gee whiz, with the Muslim Brotherhood and AlQaeda on one side, and Hezbollah and the Baathists on the other, which ever side wins, America loses. I hope Russia and Iran step up the arms race to the Syrians, so we, Qatar, and others supporting the rebels can too. Whatever it takes to keep them fighting. As for the Syrian people...what about them?

I was going to tell you this might be a short sided view...But thought better of it....Every time a Proxy war has started, someone has ended up with boots on the ground. So it is either gonna be us or it is gonna be the russians. If Saudi gets there way it wiill be us.

I don't think everyone understands the dynamic that is occuring here. And I have the questions, but some of the answers are bothering me..or lack there of. Now, I am not NIO analyst and it has been awhile since I have sleopt in a holiday in. But, I have learned a few things.

the first thing is I know Saudi (KSA) is worried about another Shia state coming into the Arab fold. They all but have exiled lebanon. But with the Shia populace wuling Iraq and few latent shia states on the Gulf, the Sunni Purists longing for another great Calphate or Pan-arab empire are worried. Almost every Sunni Nation is pitching in with support. The KSA is claiming a restriction/phohibition on KSA citizens joing the cause...but then they are also saying they can't control what people do with their money or time.

the second thing is the Persian involvement. This is the second thing that KSA fears. The spread of the PErsian empire. As it is, the Shia of Iraq also have Persian ties to Iran. sucks but it is true. Assad being in bed with the Iranians is an unforgviable sin in the eyes of his Arab brothers... Family-Tribe-sect vs the world...That is why KSA is pissed at Lebanon.

The Assad family is the founding royality of the Ba'athist party. They had a vision of beginning the remmergance of the of the Pan arab state, from Iaq to Egypt. Iraq and Syria were in deep negotiations for a while on softening borders and then Saddam went and screw it up. Saddam, while a Ba'athist, was not the same cloth of Ba'athist the Assad family started. I am really wondering if Basher is the Same as his father at all. Basher just fired or killed or the Syria Ba'athist that could possibly oppose him.

You have to remember that Persians and Arabs are not the same people. not in the least. The only folks in that region that share any sort of identiy is the Arabs and Hebrews. They will bother trace their lines back to Abraham.

I think this thing is Winable....the key to winning this is making it an Arab problem with an Arab Solution. Clear the table of the rabble (US, Russia, EU, Iran) and make the power players of the region (KSA, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt) take ownership and force a coup they can live with. Peace in SWA will never come from a Western Solution. They don't think like we do. They never will. But they do hold some of the same concepts true...The issue with making The power players come up with a Solution is that, like it or not, we are the Army of KSA and Kuwait. Anytime either one of them has had an issue, they get us to handle it.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."