Why is NYPD policing NJ?

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,737 Senior Member
I get the Superbowl is in town, but it is not played in NYC. Jurisdiction be damned.

By game time the NYPD will have had a full complement of security measures in place for a week, including: police helicopters with special sensors to detect radiation on the ground, a counter terrorism 360-degree camera car to look for suspicious packages, bomb dogs, video cameras mounted as the NYPD’s “eyes in the sky” at various event locations, lots of radiation detection boats in addition to the usual complement of heavily armed cops.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/nypd-super-bowl-security-will-be-high-tech-and-unprecedented/
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    They've been going out of state for several years since the Sept. 11 attacks. Even were doing surveillance on a NJ mosque, I believe. Then there's the gun shop "stings" in Virginia...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Because terr'ism!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    It's a matter of national security, citizen.... So we send in state cops. They are securing your freedumbs.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    How does the law allow this? Under what authority? Did Tubby make them special deputies?

Ayn Rand
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Mutual Aid.....it happens all over the country, every day....Fire Departments, Police Departments....nothing really scary about it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,945 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Mutual Aid.....it happens all over the country, every day....Fire Departments, Police Departments....nothing really scary about it....

...unless you are a bystander in the vicinity of a NYPD group magazine dump.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,149 Senior Member
    I'm guessing, but I figure NJ authorities asked for assistance with manpower and equipment that the stadium municipality does not have.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I'm guessing, but I figure NJ authorities asked for assistance with manpower and equipment that the stadium municipality does not have.

Same here, but I cannot find that on the 'net.

Is a New Jersey resident (or Superbowl fan) expected to submit to NYPD?

If Seattle PD set up a DUI check point on ID-95, I wouldn't show ID, answer any questions, roll down my windows, etc...

I want to know "under what authority is this legal?"

Ayn Rand
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    They've been going out of state for several years since the Sept. 11 attacks. Even were doing surveillance on a NJ mosque, I believe. Then there's the gun shop "stings" in Virginia...

I think I read/heard somewhere that the NYPD has offices in several European countries also.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,149 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Same here, but I cannot find that on the 'net...........

I looked around a little. It's hard to find specific details, but I think either the Patriot Act may grant the authority for inter-jurisdiction police cooperation, OR the fact that the NYC-northern NJ area has a regional police agency named the "Port Authority Police Dept." One or both of these may be where the agency cooperation originates.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

respect_authoritah.jpg
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Whatever it takes to make sure nothing happens to Puppy Bowl X.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    If I ever want to rob a bank in Alabama, I'm going to do it the day they play the Iron Bowl- - - - - - -every cop within a 100-mile radius is guarding one or the other of the coaches. Wouldn't any terrorist with more than two brain cells to rub together pick a less-defended target sometime about the middle of the Stoopid Bowl halftime show?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Can you find a terrorist with more than two brain cells?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Only if we look outside the White House!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite