Home Main Category Clubhouse

For all those folks that laugh at Southern snow storms.

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,256 Senior Member
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,473 Senior Member
    I have been following some of this, this storm left you folks far and away from the crap we deal with all winter in MN, you are getting the short end of the stick for sure, watch the slipping on parking lots, slipping is probably all I have been fixing on folks since mid-December.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    this storm left you folks far and away from the crap we deal with all winter.

This^
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,407 Senior Member
    See? They couldn't tell you what the weather was going to be the night before, but we are supposed to believe Al Gore can tell us what it's going to be in 100 years???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,256 Senior Member
    Home after 450 miles and 2 nights away from home.
    Only damage to my truck was from dropping my front left tire into the culvert at the end of Teach's driveway.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Seen of Facebook:

Dear Northerners and Westerners,
    Please stop making fun of how we handle snow storms. They're rare for us.
    Much like you winning a college football National championship.
    Sincerely,
    The South.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Seen of Facebook:

Dear Northerners and Westerners,
    Please stop making fun of how we handle snow storms. They're rare for us.
    Much like you winning a college football National championship.
    Sincerely,
    The South.
    OH SNAP :rotflmao:

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    I ain't laughing. The "little" ice storms we'd get in Louisiana caused worse driving conditions than any snow storm I've encountered here in ten years, shy of a complete windblown whiteout.

Ice is ice, don't matter where you live and a quarter inch of ice is a complete equalizer.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    I feel bad for all y'all, for sure. Nasty storm. That you guys don't have (and shouldn't need) the gear to deal with.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Of course the actual driving isn't the problem, it's the idiotic bunch of other drivers who are working hard to crash into you.

Nobody can really drive on glare ice ("black ice") unless you're using chains or spiked tires. The pressure of the car's weight melts a thin layer of the ice under the tires and you go sliding, no matter whether you've got a teeny Fiat compact, big well-prepared truck, or in between. Sliding you go.

Anybody who's had this experience to learn from, you simply avoid any quick motions and steer carefully, and by segments, you can navigate the ice somewhat.

Most of us who grew up in a middle-climate area have this experience: our Dad taking us (after church of course) to the Monkey Ward parking lot after a big snow and teaching us how to drive in snow. Monkey Ward (Montgomery Ward) was closed Sundays so their lot was available, a big flat area for plenty of slipping and sliding. Sears was also okay but they spent more money than Monkey Ward, and therefore had concrete lane dividers in their lot. But MW lots were flat and unchallenged.

Every snowy Sunday afternoon, you'd see about 10-12 cars or trucks in the MW lot, each occupied by the man of the family, plus a son or daughter or wife trying to drive while the dad yelled and cursed! ha ha -- it was how I learned.

Of course, owning a FWD MiniCooper and having spike-embedded Michelin bad weather tires (till spike tires were banned) was terrific. I could essentially drive up the side of a building, or so it seemed. So I was the rescue vehicle for other non-FWD cars.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,881 Senior Member
    Growing up in South Central Kansas, ice storms are a part of life-Much rather drive in snow any day.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Like I've kept saying, (on FB and elsewhere) this WASN'T an ice storm, NOTHING fell from the sky but SNOW. The ground being above freezing when it started caused the first hour or two's worth of snow to melt on contact.
    THAT is what froze into the "glare ice"

And that, unfortunately, is a TYPICAL southern snow storm. Most snow storms do this, so we almost ALWAYS have a thin sheet of ice under our snow on the roadways.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,777 Senior Member
    My dad was born and raised in Minnesota so even though I was raised in California I do pretty good on snow and ice. Whenever we had snow we knew that we were going out to find the deepest snow to drive in which usually meant snowy icy mountain roads.