Home Main Category Personal Defense

Sub-compacts and fps

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
I was curious if any of you guys think the velocity lost on a 3" 9mm over a 4" would keep you from carrying a sub-compact? Would you make up for the difference switching from a 147 gr. projectile to a 115 gr. I realize shot placement is more important defensively and I am probably over thinking it regardless but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Replies

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    I remember your pics from the old forum around 08' or so. Thanks.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    It is a balance between barrel length and ammunition selection. I recently posted that in a 1 7/8 inch J frame revolver shooting a Speer 135 gr .38 special +p using "short barrel" powder is about as effective as a .357 in a 2 inch barrel revolver because the .357 needs about three inches of barrel length to generate more velocity.

If you choose a shorter barreled gun make sure you select ammo that is made for it.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Yes, am looking for the short barrel Gold Dot + P load in 9mm. Thanks. +P stands for + pressure, correct? I'm thinking ideal for a shorter barrel pistol or revolver to help make up the velocity difference.
    Got it, thanks for the info and the photos.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    To your question----no.

What keeps me away from sub compacts is they are too small for my hand.

So as my Grandfather used to say, they are for women and children.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    No. Barrel length has no effect on what I'd carry. It is more important to realize that I am not in control of when the fight is over; the person attacking me is in charge of that. And I will continue firing until the person attacking me either stops, runs, or drops dead. When either of those three things happen I will stop firing. I carry a Glock G26 regularly, with 2 G17 magazines for reloads. They fit, just stick out the bottom a bit.

Seriously, I wouldn't let a barrel an inch-inch and a half shorter than standard stop me from carrying a subcompact pistol. Not enough velocity loss to worry about, IMHO.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It is a balance between barrel length and ammunition selection. I recently posted that in a 1 7/8 inch J frame revolver shooting a Speer 135 gr .38 special +p using "short barrel" powder is about as effective as a .357 in a 2 inch barrel revolver because the .357 needs about three inches of barrel length to generate more velocity.

If you choose a shorter barreled gun make sure you select ammo that is made for it.

IMHO

D

Is this due to powder type? Slower or faster burning in one vs the other?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician