Home Main Category Hunting

Late Black Powder Deer Season

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Well as I have said before, last year Teach found me a nice T/C Hawken type 50 Caliber black powder rifle. It's the Renegade model. I love this thing and my wife and I both shot it many times last week. It shoots ok considering who is behind the trigger. I believe I can kill a deer with it. I've been hunting since the 6th with it. Although I haven't connected with it yet, I feel it's a matter of time.

I got where I can hit within about three inches of dead center at 100 yards with it. That's with open sights and my old eyes. That's MOD (Minute of Deer) around here so I'm confident that if a nice buck presents me with a shot, I can score. So far the moon phase isn't cooperating but I think it will get better before Sunday the 19th, the final day.

This black powder stuff is addicting. I've got loading the thing down pat. My wife also is getting very proficient with it too. But having killed a small buck at the beginning of the season, she's more into hogs. She takes her .243 out with us and is hoping an unsuspecting hog will walk out in front of her. If it does, it's probably history. Then I can take some more pics of her barefoot skinning a hog. :jester:
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    My flintlock season ended with tag soup. I got out a couple of times booted some deer, no shots but the weather was rough this year. 1st full day was well below freezing, then last sat was 50 and rain with high wind.
    I got caught out working in the cold often enough that I just couldnt bring myself to get excited enough to suit up at every opportunity.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I got a doe the first day of Muzzle season with a CVA plains rifle., but didn't go out on the second season, really don't have any freezer space left.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good luck, Snake! I didn't connect at all this season, smokepole or centerfire, but it was mostly laziness on my part. Several nice deer were taken from our place, and the trail cams showed several good bucks still around after the season was over. Does- - - - -there's one behind every bush now that it's illegal to shoot 'em!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Good luck, Snake! I didn't connect at all this season, smokepole or centerfire, but it was mostly laziness on my part. Several nice deer were taken from our place, and the trail cams showed several good bucks still around after the season was over. Does- - - - -there's one behind every bush now that it's illegal to shoot 'em!Jerry
    Yep I think this sounds familiar. But I'm still thinking we have a big cat or two that has moved in to our area. We were out last week spotlighting for hogs and there were deer all around us along with coons and rabbits for a couple hours then all of a sudden it's like a ghost town. Nothing moving. Then when we were leaving we saw deer up near the main entrance where we have never seen any. And they looked like they had run across the prarie between there and our hunting area. This hasn't hurt the hogs because I don't think a cat would want to tangel with them. but all the lessor species high tail it like they're getting away from something I think that scares em.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.