Home Main Category Hunting

Who Says Hunting Season is Over?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
As long as there's a wild hog walking on this planet, as long as there's a coyote howling at the moon, as long as there's a varmint or pest breathing there will be hunting season 24-7, 365 days a year.

So what will all of you be hunting if anything this off season, the time between the last deer or elk season and the next season? Will you allow the weeds and brush to grow up over your blind until late summer when you will go out and change your feeder batterys and fill them with corn and trim the brush from around your blind and clean out the shooting alleys around your blind or shooting area? Or will you use those blinds and feeders year round? I pay good money for a place to hunt. On top of getting my money's worth out of my lease I like to keep certain critters thinned out on it where they don't do damage which hurts the game population.

So what will you, if anything, hunt in the off season?

I plan on trying to keep the hogs thinned out and the coyotes down to a dull roar.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yotes are about it. Tree rat and bunny season ends next Saturday, and with the cold weather the rats stay hidden and bunnies are few and far between. Crows are still fair game for a bit longer, I reckon I'll try and dust a few of those.
    Then it's on to spring turkey season. I'll take the kids, and unless both girls get one (providing they want to go, I know the youngest will) I most likely won't be hunting for me. I'll be trying to get them a bird. Which is more than fine with me.
    Coinciding with turkey season, will be mushroom season. I'll hunt those on my way to a secret honey hole full of white bass, armed with a fly rod and a pair of waders. I HATE fly rods, and I HATE using fly rods. However, I've been schooled WAY too many times by my fishing buddy and his fly rod. Of the kool aid I will partake, and get the proper setup of the fairy wand...so I too, can reap the bounty it shall provide.

White bass are fun to catch (I use an 6' ultra-light and 4# test), but taste................ not so good.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    All I can say is that you can only hunt Fallow, Red, Sika, Rusa and Whitetail deer over here for during the following months, Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct, Nov, and December. The rest of the time you cant hunt them............You can also only hunt Tahr, Chamois and hogs............ in the months above...............Rabbits all year round, Quail, Pheasants, Ducks and Chukar only during certain months.

Oh, and Canada geese can be hunted 24/7/ 365 days of the year with no restrictions on the type of firearm be it centrefire, rimfire or shotgun.

................and you can hunt Elk ( Wapiti)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    you make it sound so bad
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    You have to cut the red stripe out. Yes, you lose a good bit of meat, but they are plentiful. I follow the same rule on ALL fish: If it ain't white, it ain't right...cut it out and feed it to the cats.

Normally catch enough crappie to eat, and just throw the whities back in the lake......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Where we go is a river. Crappies are there, but not in abundance. We will catch a few, along with some walleye. But we've never caught enough for a meal. Whites On the other hand, well, my buddy at least...caught 60 something last time we went.

I only keep fish early in the year from the local lakes. As it gets warm and the lake lice are swarming, and Bubba gets his 'ski boat' out with it's 1962 Evinrude.......

$_57.JPG

Everything taste like 2 cycle oil.........
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    This was from a few weeks ago and is my main quarry with the snow on. I use bait when I have it and also have an electronic caller.

coyotesnow.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,000 Senior Member
    If I can get the time this year. I intend to hunt more groundhogs. I have not had time for a good summer of chuck shooting in a while and it is time. Other than that, its paper season once the temps get up a little and we have light after work.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    White bass are fun to catch (I use an 6' ultra-light and 4# test), but taste................ not so good.

Oh hell I love catching white bass. And they aren't bad eating if you skin em either. I'm normally a salt water fisherman, seeing as I only live probably 500 yards from Lavaca Bay. Speckle Trout on jigs is so fine and Red Fish pull like a tug boat. But take me up a river in the spring and put me on the white bass with light action rods and tackle and I"M VERY VERY VERY happy!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Yotes and Fox are the main things we hunt up here from Thanksgiving to April. RRA AR is the gun of choice with a couple FoxPro CS-24's and pair of FoxPro JackAttack decoys.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    This was from a few weeks ago and is my main quarry with the snow on. I use bait when I have it and also have an electronic caller.

coyotesnow.jpg

From the looks of that picture....you appear to have run over that coyote...:rotflmao:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    You have to cut the red stripe out. Yes, you lose a good bit of meat, but they are plentiful. I follow the same rule on ALL fish: If it ain't white, it ain't right...cut it out and feed it to the cats.

My ex father in law from Booneville used to just skin em. I didn't know what else he did. If he cut out that red line, but when we skinned em seemed like they were pretty good eating. I don't throw ANY fish back except Hard Heads (Salt water catfish, other than Gaftop).