Home Main Category Hunting

Took the 16 year old hunting for the first time yesterday

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 16,128 Senior Member
This is the kid I had to make take hunter's safety when she was 12 (75% of the class is basic firearm safety so anyone that lives in my house and is of age to take the class will take it) and fell prey to the veggie-nazis when she was 14 so I was a bit surprised when she said she wanted to go deer hunting this year.

Last week, we went to the range and got her acclimated to the Savage 220 (20ga slug gun-- we were hunting a shotgun zone-- built off a model 110 action) where she was keeping them in the black at 100 yards. In other words, we were confident out to about 75 yards and 100 if the right shot presented itself.

Yesterday was the beginning of the youth firearms weekend where those 16 and under can hunt before even bow season starts (10/1) with a parent or mentor. We went to my usual spot and I quickly noticed that the damn leaves were still on the trees! The view was a bit more cluttered that I am used to in November, but we could see pretty well about 50 yards out and had a few lanes she could shoot through at about 75-100 yards.

At 10:15 am, she pointed a couple of deer out to me. They looked kind of small at first (I was thinking fawns) but as they got closer, it was apparent that they were a couple of pretty healthy sized 1 1/2 year old bucks! Brittany got set up with her shooting stick, focused on her shooting lanes, flicked off the safety, and was ready for action. The first buck walks through the opening, goes... Then the second walks through and goes! She then moves to another spot to set up for a lane where they are moving to next... Still no bang, and they walk off unharmed.

You might be asking, "what the heck?" The deer were walking, and she just couldn't get the crosshairs exactly where she wanted them so she passed on pulling the trigger. I am extremely proud of her! I know how badly she wanted those deer, but decided to do the right thing and let them walk as opposed to making a bad shot. I told her that the true measure of a sportsperson is not the shots that they take, but the shots that they don't take. We didn't see any other deer for the rest of the day. She is still kicking herself in the "would have, could have, should have" department but I know deep down she understands that she did the right thing.

Great job kiddo! We still have the rest of the season to go. You'll get one!
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
-Thomas Paine

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    :up:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I know how badly she wanted those deer, but decided to do the right thing and let them walk as opposed to making a bad shot. I told her that the true measure of a sportsperson is not the shots that they take, but the shots that they don't take.

Yes, that is so good Jermanator, you have taught her well and I am so glad you made the above statement concerning sportsmanship and especially the encouragement and direction you gave her. Outstanding my friend, very well done. :up:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I think the next step is going to be getting her some more trigger time in order to build confidence and shrink those groups between now and November 15. Her only real shooting experience has been from rimfire rifles. I think I will put her on the bolt action 7.62x39 because it has relatively mild recoil, is accurate, has the same scope as the Savage, and is exponentially cheaper to shoot (that 20ga ammo runs $18 for 5 rounds). If we find the time and she is fairly proficient on the 7.62x39, I might have to put her on the .204 (with the "Hubble" on it-- 8-32x Sightron SIII) that will teach her quite a bit about breathing, trigger control, etc. while printing very tiny groups on paper.
    -Thomas Paine
    I think the next step is going to be getting her some more trigger time in order to build confidence and shrink those groups between now and November 15. Her only real shooting experience has been from rimfire rifles. I think I will put her on the bolt action 7.62x39 because it has relatively mild recoil, is accurate, has the same scope as the Savage, and is exponentially cheaper to shoot (that 20ga ammo runs $18 for 5 rounds). If we find the time and she is fairly proficient on the 7.62x39, I might have to put her on the .204 (with the "Hubble" on it-- 8-32x Sightron SIII) that will teach her quite a bit about breathing, trigger control, etc. while printing very tiny groups on paper.

Sounds like a plan, I think being on the 204 with really light recoil will give her confidence. I sure hope she gets something this year when hunting.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    You've raised her right, bud. Nice work. I think the .204 is a great idea. I shot one of those 220's last weekend....SWEET!!!!!
    That being said, I bought that high$$ Savage .22, put good glass on it, and it REALLY helped my wife with her fundamentals. She didn't think so at first, but after I showed her a 10 shot group about the size of a dime I fired with it at 50 yards, she was super motivated. This afternoon, she shot a group at 402 yards that would make any man proud.
    I am thinking to just put her on the 7.62x39 first just so she gets used to the idea of a loud bang and a bit of recoil. She didn't mind the recoil on the Savage at all and actually commented on how fun shooting something with a kick to it had--so I don't think I am really beating her up with it (or at least I hope not). I am just thinking that the .204 right away will give her a few more things to think about that she isn't quite ready to learn about yet.

The .204 is an excellent tool to build confidence, but do you think watching her heart beat through a scope is going to help her right away as a fairly inexperienced shooter? My logic with the 7.62 first is that she can send a buttload of lead down range with mild recoil and a decent report while being fairly accurate with it-- essentially to get her comfortable with centerfires. Once she is comfortable, we can get her fine tuned with the .204.

Is my logic right? I am open to suggestions.
    -Thomas Paine
    I am thinking to just put her on the 7.62x39 first just so she gets used to the idea of a loud bang and a bit of recoil. She didn't mind the recoil on the Savage at all and actually commented on how fun shooting something with a kick to it had--so I don't think I am really beating her up with it (or at least I hope not). I am just thinking that the .204 right away will give her a few more things to think about that she isn't quite ready to learn about yet.

The .204 is an excellent tool to build confidence, but do you think watching her heart beat through a scope is going to help her right away as a fairly inexperienced shooter? My logic with the 7.62 first is that she can send a buttload of lead down range with mild recoil and a decent report while being fairly accurate with it-- essentially to get her comfortable with centerfires. Once she is comfortable, we can get her fine tuned with the .204.

I think it is a toss up which to use first. Sounds like she will do fine with what ever method you take her through.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    I wish there was a target sytem, that would not cost a fortune, that would that would allow a novice shooter to take a shot at a moving deer sized target, or at least a deer sized vitals to at least let them train on deer moving laterally to the shooter. Actually, I would like that to practice on. Something along the lines of the moose hunting shooting test that needs to be taken in some Scandanavian country.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

No, no. I hadn't considered the Hubble. I think you're right on with the 7.62x39. OR, like I did to my wife, a 22 at 100 yards. I doped the scope for her, made her really concentrate on the fundamentals.

That's what it's really all about, the fundamentals. Whatever platform you use to let her practice, a lot, on fundamentals, is the right answer.
    And that little Ruger is frickin sweet. Not that you ever let me shoot it, but I still saw it. It's sweet.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Commendable behavior....sounds like she has a good teacher...Good Job Dad!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    jbohio wrote: »
    And that little Ruger is frickin sweet. Not that you ever let me shoot it, but I still saw it. It's sweet.

You are going to make me drag that rifle down south for the third year in a row so you can forget to shoot it again. Aren't you??? My ADD friend.
    -Thomas Paine
    You are going to make me drag that rifle down south for the third year in a row so you can forget to shoot it again. Aren't you??? My ADD friend.

Yeah. It's hard to concentrate down there. I swear.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    I am extremely proud of her! I know how badly she wanted those deer, but decided to do the right thing and let them walk as opposed to making a bad shot. I told her that the true measure of a sportsperson is not the shots that they take, but the shots that they don't take. We didn't see any other deer for the rest of the day. She is still kicking herself in the "would have, could have, should have" department but I know deep down she understands that she did the right thing.

You have every right to be proud of her my friend. Teaching young hunters when not to take the shot is just as important, as when to shoot.

Give her an 'atta girl' from me and a 'good luck' for the rest of the season.

Alec.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    :up:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia