Home Main Category Hunting

My 60th birthday bash and the ladies that attended.............

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,301 Senior Member
...............and before you say that this should be in clubhouse, I really think this is the appropriate place...............:tooth:

Its not often that one turns 60........obviously, but I am not normally one that celebrates birthdays. I decided that today was going to be one where I did what I wanted to instead of doing what everyone else told me to do.

With that in mind, I turned off my cellphone, did a few chores around the place and then loaded my pack, grabbed the Sako 222 ( suppressed), a handful of reloads and headed up to Bloodhounds place to stalk a few animals and perhaps, if the hunting gods smiled down on me, get a spiker for the freezer.

Got to his farm block about midday, checked the water supply for the cattle troughs in the paddocks, then headed into the pines to see what I could stalk.

Spent about 2hrs stalking the boundary without seeing an animal............until I dropped off a ridge into the head of a gully that led to a clearing. As I slowly made my way down through the pines I saw some movement about 80yds ahead , so I slowly dropped to a kneeling position and waited. What I had seen was an ear flicker. After a couple of minutes a head slowly appeared over a small rise and kept moving to my left. As I wanted a spiker I elected not to take the shot but wait till I could positively ID the sex of the animal. The head did not show any signs of spikes or 'male' headgear...........and it then disappeared behind the hill. I then slowly stalked down to where I could see the animal and after it came partially into view I again crouched and waited for it to come into full view. About 8 mins later I positively ID'd it as a dark coloured Fallow spiker but didn't have a clear shot due to undergrowth. Once again it disappeared 'under' the hill so I stalked in closer. Next thing I see is not one but 2 spikers...........running in opposite directions.

****. I didn't realise that there were 2 animals the same colour and sex in close proximity to each other and what had happened was that while I was positively identifying one through the scope, the other had poked his head up , seen me and decided he didn't want an invitation for dinner. It brought home to me that, even after many years of learning how to hunt, there are always lessons to be learned.

Oh well, I was having a good time so I continued my stalk down to the creek. Before I got there I stopped and had a bite to eat and drink. While I was sitting there contemplating and enjoying the peace and quiet I saw a small movement about 3 feet away from my foot. I sat for about a minute before I saw it again and was surprised to see a twig with a wiggly bit on the end. Here is a pic I took on macro.................

60thbirthday047_zps9d5cb565.jpg

If you look at the left hand end of the twig you can see the head of some sort of caterpillar......when I moved the head disappeared........so I waited till it came out again and videoed it.......

Here is the video............( hope this works)

th_60thbirthday048_zps64107c0d.jpg

After playing hide and seek a couple of times, I left the caterpillar to its own devices and headed off.

When I got to the creek I slowly made my way upstream and, after seeing another 'ear flicker' I stalked my way to within about 16yds of this lovely lady............

60thbirthday034_zpsa4bec800.jpg

After taking a couple of pics I quietly backed away and moved further up the creek...............and saw a fawn in a clearing about 90yds away. Once again I went into super stealth mode and as I got closer, I realised that the fawn was only about a week old. I knew that its 'Mum' wouldn't be far away but couldn't see any sign of her. After watching for about 5minutes I figured out from the fawns body language the approx position of her mum and stalked in closer to get these shots. Distance between the fawn and I was about 20 yds when these were taken.........After taking the 1st shot 'Mum' came into view from where she was feeding in a clump of rushes so the following 4 shots are taken in sequence.

The first shot..........
60thbirthday036_zpsff740940.jpg

One of its mum which was in the rushes to the right and about 18yds from me........

60thbirthday038_zps5b018a58.jpg

Another 2 pics of the fawn.......

60thbirthday042_zps9985955c.jpg

60thbirthday044_zpsf15bd581.jpg

I stood and watched the two of them for about 15 minutes before backing off slowly and heading further up the creek. The little one was amazing to watch. It would sniff the ground, then lick it, then jump with all four legs off the ground, look at mum as though to say " Look at meeeee" then go back to sniffing the ground.

I came across another couple of does and started to take the following video from about 25yds away when I felt the wind swirl on the back of my neck which spooked them........You can see the first doe sniff the air before 'exploding' into action lol.........

th_60thbirthday045_zps9644f609.jpg

As I slowly made my way further up the creek bank I again saw a flicker of movement about 60 yds away between 2 trees so I stopped and waited ...........and waited...........and waited ......for about 3-4 minutes before I saw more movement. I then took this pic before stalking in closer. The arrow shows the Doe's head between the 2 trees .........

60thbirthday055_zps3707a960.jpg

I was hoping that the movement I saw was her cleaning her newly born fawn...............and decided to stop and observe from about 40 yds away.........I wasn't disappointed!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of her and her fawn that was only a few minutes old. The movement I saw was mum diligently licking her 'baby'............ WOOOHOO!!!!! I watched the fawn shakily get to her feet and take her first few steps......and as they cleared the trees I took this pic.

60thbirthday060_zps5786b6d5.jpg

Here is another pic..........

60thbirthday061_zps5eedd6ad.jpg

You can see by the fawns fur that 'mum' had done a great job of cleaning her up for the pic lol.

Here is another one..........

60thbirthday064_zps825c3090.jpg

I didn't want to get any closer in case I spooked them so I remained about 40 yds away.

As they slowly moved to my right I decided to give a quiet whistle and take a video. ( I figured a quiet whistle wouldn't alarm them and they would slowly walk away..........it worked)

th_60thbirthday066_zps4420770b.jpg

After taking the video I decided to unload the Sako and head back to the Jeep.

I figured that I had done enough 'shooting' for the day and to be truthful, I felt that taking a shot close to all those 'ladies' and their newborns would spoil the pleasure and thrills I had enjoyed. I took a few more pics of animals on my way back to the car, including a couple of a nice spiker but decided to give him a 'free pass'.

Sometimes, the most successful hunts are those where you don't take an animal..............today was one of those days.

I figured that I had proved to myself that I still have what it takes to get 'up close and personal' with animals and that my stalking skills hadn't diminished overnight.........now that I am 60 :rotflmao:

(Now, some of you may think I have gone soft now that I have hit 60.............I haven't................normal transmission will resume tomorrow)

Hope you enjoyed the 'Ladies' I spent time with on my birthday..........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Great stuff man, and Happy BD
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,026 Senior Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,685 Senior Member
    Great Birthday, thanks for the hunting "fix".
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    A most enjoyable hunt, I think. Happy Birthday, youngster. :up:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,763 Senior Member
    What a great way to celebrate your birthday....congratulations!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Happy 60th Alec! Your taste in women appears to have changed through the years, at least your Birthday women, :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Happy birthday, Alec. You are now officially an old fart. Enjoy it. -:)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Happy 60th and welcome to the "Old Geezer" group. :beer:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sounds, and looks, like you had a good time! Sometimes the hunting part is more rewarding than the shooting part. That newborn fawn sure looks like it has a bad case of 'bed head' after the licking it's momma gave it!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is a great birthday. Your stalking skills still amaze me.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,301 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, glad you like the pics.

You shouldn't pitch softballs with this crowd around Mike. I am having difficulty in restraining myself. Lol.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Happy 60th Alec! Your taste in women appears to have changed through the years, at least your Birthday women, :tooth:

Ok, seeing as how I am an old fart and as you get older your ability to contain things diminishes, I have restrained myself long enough.

Hunting lasts a whole lot longer than sex............. after you 'score' you don't have to call the deer in the morning (unless its another deer).................. eating both is enjoyable but you get less hair caught in your teeth with deer (most times)..............I am not Buffy, so I don't have to take my clothes off to hunt deer...........I can fire more shots just by working the bolt and loading more ammunition when I hunt deer...................I can use a knife to undress a deer and not get arrested as opposed to having a dear screaming at me if I pull a knife out...........

There are more reasons............but you get the drift.:rotflmao:
    That is a great birthday. Your stalking skills still amaze me.

Thanks, but the older I get the slower I get and with stalking, slow is the key lol...........Its when I have to stop frequently to go 'no 1' that screws it up........
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,685 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ok, seeing as how I am an old fart and as you get older your ability to contain things diminishes, I have restrained myself long enough.

Hunting lasts a whole lot longer than sex............. after you 'score' you don't have to call the deer in the morning (unless its another deer).................. eating both is enjoyable but you get less hair caught in your teeth with deer (most times)..............I am not Buffy, so I don't have to take my clothes off to hunt deer...........I can fire more shots just by working the bolt and loading more ammunition when I hunt deer...................I can use a knife to undress a deer and not get arrested as opposed to having a dear screaming at me if I pull a knife out...........

There are more reasons............but you get the drift.:rotflmao:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done Alec. Here's a couple of observations, one, I was 10 years old when You were born, (08/23/1943), and two, sex is still the most fun you can have without laughing. Remember, my friend, you are not getting older, merely better, like a fine bottle of port..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,854 Senior Member
    Glad you had a nice b-day Alec, some right pretty ladies you spent the day with. Thanx for sharing your pics.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Happy birthday my friend.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Shame on you, Alex...Shame on you fer talkin' like that :nono:! Didn't yo' Mamma teach you better than that?:tooth:

I see Bracken Fern in some of the photos....is this native to NZ or was it imported? Here in North America it's the most widely ranging plant we have. Grows all the way from tropical South Florida to the Artic Tundra. Sure would like to come over there to look things over!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Happy birthday, Alec! You really had some cool company to spend it with, for sure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Shame on you, Alex...Shame on you fer talkin' like that :nono:! Didn't yo' Mamma teach you better than that?:tooth:

I see Bracken Fern in some of the photos....is this native to NZ or was it imported? Here in North America it's the most widely ranging plant we have. Grows all the way from tropical South Florida to the Artic Tundra. Sure would like to come over there to look things over!

Its native to NZ. The early Maori's used to dig up the roots, pound them and extract a starchy type of flour for consumption. They don't do that any more cos it is a cause of cancer.......
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Happy birthday, Alec! You really had some cool company to spend it with, for sure.

Yeah Right! He just told us about the girls he was with during daylight hours, he didn't say what and who he did it with when the sun went down, :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,583 Senior Member
    Happy birthday, Alec!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Rim PhyrRim Phyr Member Posts: 71 Member
    Happy birthday kid. That was a great experience thanks for sharing the story and pictures.
    Thanks again for your comments and birthday wishes guys. Glad you liked the pics etc.
    cpj wrote: »
    Rude, those ladies. I mean, they turned down a dinner date with you.

That's why you should never date ladies who have children........
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,650 Senior Member
    Nice pics and video.
    Hope you had a great B'day :cool2:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Happy birthday Alec, looks like you had a ball