Home Main Category Hunting

Mo Rabbits

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
\We went hog hunting again yesterday evening. I usually load one rifle before going in the last gate to the lease in case a hog runs out. Yesterday I didn't though for whatever reason and just before we got to the last gate there he was, a big ol' boar in our pasture a hundred yards south of the sendero. Wife was driving and if I'd had it loaded and ready I could have popped that big hog. Hunting deer or anything else but hogs and er Rabbits, I won't shoot out of a vehicle, since for game animals it's sort of illegal, but for hogs who cares. Anyway, turned out to be the only hog we saw.

However, maybe no hogs, but rabbits everywhere. So we get back to the truck and break out the new portable rechargeable spot light and go to work. Well to make a long story, well, not so long, she ended up nailing 7 more rabbits. She probably would have had 10, but she still can't remember every time to pump the damn gun to eject and reload a new shell. But she is getting deadly with that shotgun:n.

Here's some pics of her and her kill:

IMG_0385_zps3a804074.jpg

IMG_0384_zps5785b463.jpg

IMG_0383_zps105d4f20.jpg

She's fast and already had one skinned before I could get my camera. You see the skinned one also in the pics.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Dem bunnies better breed faster.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,517 Senior Member
    Your deer may be small, but those are pretty big wabbits.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Tell her to save some for easter............otherwise there wont be any easter eggs.

(BTW, who was the dummy that started the idea that rabbits have eggs...........)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Tell her to save some for easter............otherwise there wont be any easter eggs.

(BTW, who was the dummy that started the idea that rabbits have eggs...........)

You mean they don't? :silly::bang::tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    No, those are Texas rabbits.

OK then MO-TX Rabbits!:yesno::silly::tooth:
    They are big rabbits. Monsters, actually. Ours don't get that big.

Yeah I don't know what they been eatin' to get that big. Some of our little cotton tail bunnies around here don't get near as big as the bigger ones she's cleaning in the pictures. Maybe these are a bit different species. I wish our deer would get bigger like that. I tell ya what, We'll trade our rabbits and deer with you, that way you can also have BIG rabbits. I'll take bigger deer.

:jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,216 Senior Member
    Rabbits are delicious!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Rabbits are delicious!

Which bunny is the most delicious?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,064 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Which bunny is the most delicious?
    I like eastern marsh rabbits [blue tails] the best.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Texas lets you spotlight rabbits? Try that in Tennessee and it's crossbars hotel time!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Texas lets you spotlight rabbits? Try that in Tennessee and it's crossbars hotel time!
    Jerry

We can spotlight anything that isn't classified as a game animal and is legal to shoot. We have no season on rabbits, in other words so far they aren't a protected species. If you couldn't spotlight rabbits here they'd be a bigger pest than hogs. It's hard to kill them in daylight here and they breed like hogs.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Your deer may be small, but those are pretty big wabbits.

Yeah they are for cotton tails.
    You can't fry those. ;-)

NO but they're pretty good real hot.
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    But you have to pay a rancher to shoot rabbits? You said you were hunting on a lease??
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,610 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

I was thinking the same thing.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,882 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

Silly man...the rabbits DELIVER the eggs...they also run a chicken concentration camp where the eggs come from....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Silly man...the rabbits DELIVER the eggs...they also run a chicken concentration camp where the eggs come from....

The rabbits is coming! The rabbits is coming!

Obscurereference
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Elmerfuddone_zps2e7d0082.jpg

Silly Wabbit Chicks are for Kids!!!

th_zps46d8c461.jpg
    DurangoKid wrote: »
    But you have to pay a rancher to shoot rabbits? You said you were hunting on a lease??

Yeah, we shoot rabbits and hogs on the ranch we lease to hunt deer on.

We can't shoot ducks, geese, quail, or dove, or any other game because we paid to shoot deer only. But hogs, rabbits, etc. aren't considered game. Not here anyway.
    NN wrote: »
    I like eastern marsh rabbits [blue tails] the best.

We call them "Swamp Rabbits" and they get real big and fat. They are actually a hare, same as a "Jack Rabbit." But you can actually eat the swamp rabbits, where the jacks are like rubber and tough as nails. I've heard some people pressure cook em though.
    http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=rabbit+hunting+in+texas&v=40jalaER7os&qsrc=472

Scrole down the page and you'll see a couple of Utubes rabbit hunting with lights.

This is Texas and yeah we do a lot of things different here. I'm not saying we're right or wrong, but that's just how we do some things.

Here's Rolls Royce Rabbit Hunting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSotL5ODlM
    We call them "Swamp Rabbits" and they get real big and fat. They are actually a hare, same as a "Jack Rabbit." But you can actually eat the swamp rabbits, where the jacks are like rubber and tough as nails. I've heard some people pressure cook em though.
    They call them swamp rabbits here; but, the swamp rabbit is a different rabbit than a marsh rabbit.
    NN wrote: »
    They call them swamp rabbits here; but, the swamp rabbit is a different rabbit than a marsh rabbit.

Really, well ya learn something every day. Is this Marsh Rabbit big like a swamp rabbit? Our swamp rabbits get relatively huge. I killed one once when I was goose hunting and that thing must have weight 5-6 pounds or more.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    snake -

I think it's safe to say that your wife is officially a Texan.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    snake -

I think it's safe to say that your wife is officially a Texan.

Yeah I agree. I think she was probably a Texan before she was an American Citizen, :tooth:
    Also, there is a group of peoples that fit the description of, Are you ready for this?, Asian Red Necks! I kid you not...:tooth:
    Really, well ya learn something every day. Is this Marsh Rabbit big like a swamp rabbit? Our swamp rabbits get relatively huge. I killed one once when I was goose hunting and that thing must have weight 5-6 pounds or more.
    In between cottontails and swamp rabbits, but, usually not much bigger than a cottontail.
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    I think those big one are "Hares" not rabbits.
    DurangoKid wrote: »
    I think those big one are "Hares" not rabbits.

Read up the page, that's exactly what I said. A Jack Rabbit and a true swamp rabbit are hares. Cotton Tails are Rabbits. I don't know what the Marsh rabbits are. Do you know Ned?
    It is a rabbit